talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2018/19 Football League > 31st August - 1st September

football forum

7 hours ago, Eco said:

Sheffield United demolishing Villa is the result of the weekend for me, especially as it doesn't make our defeat to them (our only one so far!) look as bad as we thought.

Delighted to see Bristol City bring Blackburn down a peg too. Two very good sides with excellent results this weekend, and happily, we've already got those games out of the way until the new year! Snap prediction: at least one of those two to get promotion this year (preferably not United...)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, StefBWFC said:

Sheffield United demolishing Villa is the result of the weekend for me, especially as it doesn't make our defeat to them (our only one so far!) look as bad as we thought.

Delighted to see Bristol City bring Blackburn down a peg too. Two very good sides with excellent results this weekend, and happily, we've already got those games out of the way until the new year! Snap prediction: at least one of those two to get promotion this year (preferably not United...)

Must be nice. Ha, Portsmouth sit in 2nd with 16 points, however we have defeated..

Luton (9th with 8 points)
Plymouth (Last with 2pts)
Oxford United (22nd with 4)
Bristol Rovers (21st with 4)
Blackpool (11th with 7)

No reason for the fans to really get too excited, although this has been a fantastic start. Next up in league play we have Shrewsbury (23rd), but then it gets real with Peterborough after that. 

4 hours ago, StefBWFC said:

Whilst we drew 2-2 with Villa it could quite easily have ended 4-1/4-2. They're definitely there for the taking if you attack them.

• The title was changed to 2018/19 Football League > 31st August - 1st September

Being totally honest, I have nothing against Villa, good club, great past etc. Saw them a lot on tv in my childhood in the Ron Atkinson days.

But I would feel a sense of injustice if they managed to go up after the financial difficulties they faced. It feels like they have used a 'get out of jail free' card by bringing in some big players towards the end of the window.

Probably fair play to them as they got taken over and a reprieve. You would have to say they have got arguably the best squad at their disposal so whilst they are stuttering a little, we have to take advantage.

Guess it feels like salt in the wounds a little bit.

• The topic was unpinned
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/09/2018 at 15:41, BounceAroundTheGround said:

Wow. Amazing thing is Blackburn weren't that bad either, until they gave up after about 75 mins.

Eliasson was superb. Diédhiou was great when he came on. Taylor did well. O dowda looked brilliant too.

Not sure why Graham came off for Blackburn. He was causing us problems.

We played well in the first half but half time can at the right side for Bristol. We tried to get back into the game at 2-1 by going very attacking and paid the price. Graham tends to only play 60-75 mins as he hasn’t got the stamina anymore to play as a lone striker for the full match as Mowbray demands a lot of running from him to close down the opposition defence.

Archived