Women's Football

football forum

• Subscriber

Mexico 1971: When women's football hit the big time

By Bill Wilson

Business reporter, BBC News

8 hours ago

47571318_10156911060032855_1153137837814

It was short lived.... but for three memorable weeks in the summer of 1971 women's football flared brightly like a comet, before crashing back down to earth again.

Just 14 months after Brazil had crushed Italy in the 1970 men's final in Mexico City, football fever was once again sweeping the host nation, but this time for an unofficial women's World Cup.

And it wasn't just fans who were caught up in the excitement - big brands, TV broadcasters and merchandisers of all types also wanted a piece of the action, as women's football briefly became a commercial product to rival the men's game.

Now, with the 2019 Women's World Cup draw on Saturday, the tournament is big business - and one backed by 11 major brands, but such a commercial approach was new ground back in 1971.

(More vv)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46149887

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Tommy said:

So? It still means they're the best in their sport. Nobody asked for a comparison. 

Its a bit daft to compare it. But the increase in quality of women's football over the last 20 years is outstanding. I don't see any reason why they can't match men on the technical side with better coaching and faculties over the next 20 years

14 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Its a bit daft to compare it. But the increase in quality of women's football over the last 20 years is outstanding. I don't see any reason why they can't match men on the technical side with better coaching and faculties over the next 20 years

Exactly. Just look at the money that gets pumped into men's football and compare it to women's football. So of course there is a difference, but as you said, women's football has improved drastically over the last few years. I remember when there was only Birgit Prinz and Marta who were considered great players, and now there are so many. 

15 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Do a lot of women play football in Australia @Toinho @Devil-Dick Willie they have a very good team compared to men's football?

The last video I saw of W league was the most comically shit own goal I've ever seen in football

We do have a womens A league. I don't watch it tho, it's pretty shit.

• Administrator
Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

The last video I saw of W league was the most comically shit own goal I've ever seen in football

We do have a womens A league. I don't watch it tho, it's pretty shit.

I caught about 5 minutes of it this morning and it was horrendous xD

17 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Do a lot of women play football in Australia @Toinho @Devil-Dick Willie they have a very good team compared to men's football?

Pretty popular sport for women participation wise. As Dick said, there’s a national league where most if not all of our Matilda’s play. Sam Kerr at Perth for example has us top at the moment. So that’s top of the men and women. There’s some decent imports too but the league wouldn’t rival the American League or some of europes probably. 

4 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

The a league is a bunch of talentless hacks kicking the shit out of each other, with the odd has been sprinkled in. I don't even watch our mens football it's that bad. What hope do the women have?xD

A-league isn’t great and neither is the W-league if we compare globally. But why should the quality impact our support and love of the game? If people don’t attend then the leagues will never get to where they can quality wise or money wise. 

There are some quality players in the a-league(compared to previous years) Toivonen, De Jong, Castro, Honda, Le Fondre.

Unfortunately our country is full of euro snobs. Where only European football should be watched in their view. Yet they complain about the standard of football in our country but do fuck all to help or support it. Really grinds my gears. 

Edited by Toinho

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

The a league is a bunch of talentless hacks kicking the shit out of each other, with the odd has been sprinkled in. I don't even watch our mens football it's that bad. What hope do the women have?xD

@Toinho beat me to mentioning Toivonen/Le Fondre/Honda. It's moved on slightly from the has-beens of a few years ago. MLS seems to have that tag now, instead of A-League.

28 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Pretty popular sport for women participation wise. As Dick said, there’s a national league where most if not all of our Matilda’s play. Sam Kerr at Perth for example has us top at the moment. So that’s top of the men and women. There’s some decent imports too but the league wouldn’t rival the American League or some of europes probably. 

Kerr got voted second best player in the world. Which has never happened with a male Aussie as far as I'm aware. They are also 5th in the world rankings so clearly a different culture for womens football

36 minutes ago, Stan said:

I caught about 5 minutes of it this morning and it was horrendous xD

Bet you say that about all womens football

Edited by Guest

28 minutes ago, Toinho said:

A-league isn’t great and neither is the W-league if we compare globally. But why should the quality impact our support and love of the game? If people don’t attend then the leagues will never get to where they can quality wise or money wise. 

There are some quality players in the a-league(compared to previous years) Toivonen, De Jong, Castro, Honda, Le Fondre.

Unfortunately our country is full of euro snobs. Where only European football should be watched in their view. Yet they complain about the standard of football in our country but do fuck all to help or support it. Really grinds my gears. 

I actually like the A league. Not great quality but the games seem to flow. More because of the lack of tactical ability to slow it down but it is still entertaining for me

59 minutes ago, Stan said:

Answer my question first. Why would you assume I don't like all women's football? Answer that then I'll answer you. 

To be fair it probably was an unfair assumption to make

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47160362

Sheffield United Women forward Sophie Jones has been charged by the Football Association with racially abusing Tottenham's Renee Hector.

Hector claimed that she "received some monkey noises from an opposition player" in an FA Women's Championship game between the teams on 6 January.

Jones, who has until 15 February to respond, has been charged with using abusive or insulting words, and it is further alleged they "included reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race".

Sheffield United Women said they had co-operated fully with the FA's investigation.

"The club works closely with the EFL, the FA and Kick it Out and would like to reiterate that it does not condone racism or any form of discrimination," a club statement added.

"Sheffield United will not comment further on the subject until the conclusion of the formal FA disciplinary hearing."

Hector, 23, made the allegations in a social media post after Tottenham had beaten the Blades 2-1, a victory which at the time took them up to second in the table.

Spurs, who said the alleged incident was reported to the referee by Hector during the game, also reported it to the FA.