talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Women's Football

football forum

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Women's World Cup: Record nine countries tell Fifa they want to host in 2023

A record nine countries have told Fifa they want to host the 2023 Women's World Cup.

Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Japan, New Zealand and South Africa have formally declared their interest.

A joint bid for the tournament could also be made by North and South Korea.

World football's governing body said each Football Association had until 16 April this year to submit its bidding registration.

"Fifa will implement a fair and transparent process, which will include a clear evaluation model as well as a concrete commitment to sustainability and human rights," said a statement.

"The result of each ballot and the related votes by the members of the Fifa Council will be open and made public."

England will host the next Women's European Championship in 2021, having been the only bidder.

The 2019 World Cup takes place in France between 7 June and 7 July.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47623606

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Saw the other day that 60k watched Atletico Madrid vs Barcelona at Wanda Metropolitano over the weekend, or sometime last week. That's pretty impressive. 

Record crowd watches Barcelona Women beat Atletico Madrid 2-0

17 March 2019

A crowd of 60,739 watched Barcelona beat Atletico Madrid 2-0 at the Wanda Metropolitano - a record for a top-flight domestic women's game in Europe.

Asisat Oshoala scored Barcelona's opener and England's Toni Duggan netted the second in the Liga Femenina win.

Second-placed Barcelona are now within three points of leaders Atletico.

The previous record was held by Athletic Bilbao when 48,121 attended their cup game against Atletico at the San Mames Stadium in January.

In May 2018, a bumper crowd of 45,423 packed out Wembley Stadium to watch Chelsea defeat London rivals Arsenal 3-1 to win the FA Cup for the second time, the largest crowd for a domestic women's game in England in the modern era.

The outright record attendance for a women's game is 90,185 at the 1999 World Cup Final between the USA and China, held at the Rose Bowl in California.

The largest crowd to watch a WSL game in England is 5,052 when Arsenal and Chelsea met at the Emirates in April 2012, while just over 80,000 watched the 2012 women's Olympic final between the USA and Japan at Wembley.

Chelsea Women have the highest average crowd in the WSL this season with 1,965, followed by Manchester City with 1,607.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47602885

• Administrator

First ever sponsor for Women's Super League announced, which in turns means prize money on offer for winning the competition

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47605807

Barclays is to become the Women's Super League first ever title sponsor, in a deal the Football Association has called "the biggest ever investment in UK women's sport by a brand".

The three-year partnership, understood to be worth in excess of £10m, will start from next season.

The competition will be rebranded the Barclays FA Women's Super League and include a prize-money pot of £500,000.

Previously, WSL winners have not been awarded any official prize money.

"It's a real landmark moment in the development of the women's game," the FA's director of the women's professional game Kelly Simmons told BBC Sport.

"We obviously want to get more fans and more revenue behind the game, making sure it's secure and sustainable for the future.

"But also the investment in schools makes sure lots of girls get the chance to play football, which is our pipeline for the future."

Former Arsenal and England striker Kelly Smith felt the deal was "long needed" for the women's game.

"It's massive, massive news," said Smith, who retired in 2017 after a 13-year career.

"Even when I was playing, I was hoping a big brand would come on board and help promote and develop the women's game.

"It's in such a healthy place now and you can see the interest growing year-by-year.

"If England can do well at the World Cup and get to the final or even win it, the game will be taken to a new level. It's a healthy place to be."

Barclays' sponsorship deal will see them become the lead partner of the FA Girls' Football School Partnerships, a nationwide scheme to help develop girls' access to football at school.

The partnerships aim to double participation and fan base in the game through the FA's Gameplan for Growth strategy, a four-year plan launched in 2017.

"We'll create 100 girls football schools partnerships across the country, involving around 6,000 schools, making sure girls have opportunities to play right from a young age," Simmons said.

The WSL began in 2011 initially as an eight-team, semi-professional breakaway division. It is now Europe's only full-time strictly professional competition with 11 teams.

Last summer's restructuring of the English women's leagues saw the second tier renamed as the Women's Championship, with Manchester United the only current full-time side.

A number of WSL clubs have previously struggled to sustain top-flight football financially, with Notts County Ladies folding on the eve of the 2017 Spring Series, while Sunderland and second-tier sides Doncaster Rovers Belles and Sheffield FC all dropped down the divisions last summer.

On Tuesday, BBC Sport revealed that WSL side Yeovil Town Ladies had made cuts to off-field staff and may have to revert back to part-time status because of financial concerns.

Bolivia as host for the 2023 Womens World Cup? That would be a spectacle. They have a worse womens team than we do xD

Oh and geographically they can't host any world cup. Horrid altitude, and few stadiums in the forested areas. Cobija, Santa Cruz de la Sierra and Cochabamba would be the only 3 able to host it.

3 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Hahahahahahahaahahahahahaha

It's not quite as laughable asit sounds The USA women's team generates more money than the men's I think

Edited by Guest

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Cicero said:

Several female footballers are suing the USA Federation over unequal pay between them and men. They are calling it gender discrimination. 

Honestly baffled by this 

I can't take people seriously who can't understand why men and women footballers aren't paid the same.

It's prepubescent levels of immaturity.

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

It's not quite as laughable asit sounds The USA women's team generates more money than the men's I think

Surely not?

If that was the case then fair enough but I'd be amazed if it was.

Also my comment was aimed at plenty who've made this call for plenty of situations in football. I'm sure I've seen people say Man City should pay both teams the same which is just utterly stupid.

Edited by Dan

54 minutes ago, Dan said:

Surely not?

If that was the case then fair enough but I'd be amazed if it was.

Also my comment was aimed at plenty who've made this call for plenty of situations in football. I'm sure I've seen people say Man City should pay both teams the same which is just utterly stupid.

I've read they do. Remember the women's team are the most successful team in the world. I think women's sports are bigger in America.

The women's league doesn't but I have read the women's team does. It's hard to get the facts though. I just looked and the women generate more from the world cup but the men generate more over a 4 year period. But the difference isn't massive like in England.

Edited by Guest

• Subscriber

Women's Champions League: PSG say 'no evidence of wrongdoing' by fans denied entry to match

Paris St-Germain says there was "no evidence of wrongdoing" by fans denied entry into Thursday's Champions League match at Chelsea when weapons were found on a supporters' coach.

Knuckledusters, fireworks and drugs were discovered and up to 50 fans were turned away from Kingsmeadow before the quarter-final first leg.

Met Police confirmed a man was arrested for possession of Class A drugs.

"We express our fullest support to fans of Paris Saint-Germain," PSG said. 

"The local authorities have not provided any evidence of wrongdoing, at the least no facts that would justify such a ban to attend the match.

"All of our supporters have been searched, and if any of these searches or facts had been under criminal law, we can imagine that the concerned supporters would not have been able to leave British territory without being worried."

Police was first called to reports of vandalism at the stadium at 08:00 GMT, almost 11 hours before the 19:05 kick-off, then later to disorder at Waterloo and Wimbledon stations.

Reports suggested a door at the stadium had been broken and parts of the ground had been daubed with pro-PSG graffiti, which is understood to have been removed.

A small number of PSG supporters were permitted entry to the ground.

"Surprisingly, we note that Chelsea, on the morning of the match, did not want the presence of our supporters, arguing that the alleged damage to the stadium which are, according to local testimonies, prior to the arrival of our fans in London," PSG said in their statement.

The French club added it supported fans who had "arranged their schedule to come support our women's team in the middle of the week".

It understood the fans have all returned to France, while PSG regard the incidents as anti-social rather than violent or likened to hooliganism.

Uefa will not be charging PSG for the incident.

Blues boss Emma Hayes said supporters "should not be discouraged" from travelling to France for the second leg in Paris on 27 March, after their 2-0 win.

Hayes says she expects a "hostile" atmosphere at Stade Jean Bouin in the French capital but added: "We have to remember that the women's game is progressing, that fans are following, and with that comes the same level of scrutiny.

"Ultimately they have to behave, whether it's our fans or their fans. The police dealt with it in the right way.

"I'm sure our security will be well briefed. The police took care of what they had to, and I expect the organisation and preparation for that will make sure that our fans are safe.

"I don't think we should discourage anyone from going."

Violence has previously marred men's fixtures between the two clubs.

Four Chelsea supporters were given suspended one-year sentences by a French court after video footage emerged in 2015 of fans pushing a black man off a Paris Metro train before a Champions League match.

In 2014, European football's governing body Uefa ordered a partial closure of PSG's Parc des Princes stadium for a Champions League game after disabled Chelsea supporters claimed they were spat at and had coins and bottles thrown at them during a quarter-final match at the ground in the competition.

Chelsea Women are aiming to become the first English club to get to the Women's Champions League final since Arsenal in 2007, while PSG were finalists in 2015 and 2017.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47664544

• Subscriber

Paris St-Germain says there was "no evidence of wrongdoing" by fans denied entry into Thursday's Champions League match at Chelsea when weapons were found on a supporters' coach.

Knuckledusters, fireworks and drugs were discovered and up to 50 fans were turned away from Kingsmeadow before the quarter-final first leg.

NO WRONGDOING!!!!  9_9 xD

Edited by CaaC - John

• Subscriber

Juventus Women 1-0 Fiorentina: Record crowd of 39,000 watch game at Allianz Stadium

Juventus Women beat Fiorentina 1-0 in their first game at the Allianz Stadium in front of a capacity 39,000 fans - a record for a women's game in Italy.

Tickets were free for the league game and supporters flocked to the stadium in Turin, smashing the previous record of 14,000 for a women's match.

Only 121 Fiorentina fans reportedly made the trip.

Ex-England international Eniola Aluko featured for Juve, with Sofie Junge Pedersen scoring the winning goal.

Last weekend, a crowd of 60,739 watched Barcelona beat Atletico Madrid 2-0 at the Wanda Metropolitano - a record for a top-flight domestic women's game in Europe.

_106162038_eni-tweet.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47687471

England lost 1.0. England were the better side in the second half but I just got the feeling Canada were gonna score. Hopefully they can put it behind them and win their next game against Spain 

England beat Spain 2.1 in Swindon. Was gonna go to this game but didn't in the end.

For some reason England played in red and Spain in white O.o

The fans sing baby shark for some reason xD

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Yeah i saw, first time in 7 years. Thanks to goals from topscorer Miedema.

You ever been to a women's match? I've been to an England match. They are a lot faster  than they look on tv