talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Women's Football

football forum

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

As with any footballing event, the knockouts is really the best part of the competition and i've seen some good games so far. The best one being the one from last night Netherlands vs Japan. 

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.398fbab21b2718ff9880dd24c3bcca08.png

Women's World Cup: The English coach who helped USA's Rose Lavelle 'fall in love with the game'

1141604204_download(2).thumb.png.5ac96467f73338eca90d7589b0030236.png

In 2017, US soccer star Rose Lavelle made her international debut against England in the She Believes Cup.

After the match, she put her cherished jersey in an air-mail envelope, addressed to Roger and Averil Bradford in Gloucestershire, UK.

Why? Because Lavelle - part of the USA squad set to face England in the Women's World Cup semi-final on Tuesday - credits the Bradfords' late son, Neil, as the reason she "fell in love with the game".

Neil Bradford was Rose's first coach as a junior player in Cincinnati, Ohio. Sadly, after years of treatment for cancer. Neil died, aged just 44, in 2016 - just before Lavelle's international breakthrough.

"Sport was his life," Neil's father Roger told BBC Sport on Tuesday. "He was in his element when he was teaching. It was his greatest gift."

download.thumb.png.8dc9694a70ea77cc583e29996bcc32be.png

Neil was working as an academy coach at Cincinnati United Soccer Club when he spotted the talent of a young Lavelle.

"I had hoped he would be able to be alive for when I got my first cap," midfielder Lavelle, 24, said in May. "I feel like it was kind of poetic that we played England.

"I did get to play a club match in front of him before he died. It was nice to play one last time in front of the guy who basically made me who I am today.

"He is a constant reminder of why I do what I do. He is the reason I got to this level. He is the reason I started to go out into the back yard and play around with the ball."

Lavelle has gone on to win 31 international caps to date, scoring nine goals - two of them at this World Cup.

Neil's father Roger added: "We used to always visit Neil in the States.

"We have known Rose and her family since she was 10 years old. She was an outstanding player, always very quick.

"It's lovely to hear her say she credits Neil with her success - but we always knew she would make it."

Roger says he and Averil are in two minds over who to support during Tuesday's match:

"The perfect result would be England to win 4-3 with Rose scoring a hat-trick."

1489233604_download(1).png.eba9e34d33add4a129ac65639a9e9c80.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48825640

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.b9328f171244db9175f23f8fc3a0a86c.png

Premier League step closer to Women's Super League takeover from FA

The Premier League has moved a step closer to taking over the Women's Super League from the Football Association.

Clubs unanimously agreed to conduct a feasibility study into the idea at a shareholders' meeting last month.

It follows talks between the Premier League and FA over the past six months, and no timeframe has yet been proposed.

The FA is understood to be open to the idea, and see the women's England teams and grassroots participation as their long-term priorities.

Neither they or the Premier League would comment.

Any takeover could still be several seasons away.

The FA set up the WSL in 2011 and oversaw its development to become Europe's only full-time professional competition with 12 teams for 2019-20.

MORE

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/06/fa-womens-football-wsl-streaming?CMP=share_btn_tw

It's actually a good initiative but I think they're not doing it for the actual betterment of the sport but this little line all the way at the end 

"England’s 2-1 semi-final defeat against the United States at this summer’s Women’s World Cup in France was, according to the BBC, watched by a peak TV audience of 11.7 million – a UK record figure for women’s football."

More viewers equals more TV dollahs. 

1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Female refs dont have a problem making a controversial but right decision (cant remember the exact game but it involved Scotland and PKs) abraham and chelsea should be pissed off that adrian was allowed to cheat and the female ref was too much of a coward to do the right thing and since this is a PR move, VAR was more worried about helping the female ref not look like a damn fool. But the right call was made during a crucial female match ??? I knew her appointment was the biggest fuck up 

What the fuck are you talking about? 

26 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

so I'm confused, this is hard to see as you literrally have to be looking at those fast moving thngs at once. How is this a female's fault again? 

5 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Do you'll get live coverage of the games there? And yes Wendie is a beast both mentally and physically.

Well, the ICC is being played in the U.S. so I do get live coverage of this particular tournament. 

I also do get some live football and 100% radio coverage of Lyon's women's team through a subscribtion I have via OL. 

Ah man, watched 75 minutes of the NC vs Manchester City women's match before it went to a weather delay, and City were up 1-0. 

Wake up to learn we play NC in the championship as they ended up beating City 2-1 with goals in the 84' and 90; minute. 

Third Place Final
Atletico Madrid vs Manchester City

Final
Olympique Lyon vs North Carolina

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.d70ff0612402921d5b19896d19f65992.png

Corinthians women equal world record for the number of wins

_108364356_corinthians_twitter.jpg

Corinthians women have won 27 consecutive matches

Corinthians have become the first professional women's team to equal the world record for the number of consecutive wins by a top-flight side.

The Brazilian side beat Ferroviaria 4-0 on Sunday to claim their 27th win in all competitions.

The record was held by Welsh Premier League side The New Saints (TNS).

TNS broke Ajax's 44-year record in December 2016, but Corinthians can set a new record by beating Sao Jose at home on Wednesday.

The Serie A1 leaders have scored 95 goals in their winning run since 26 March, conceding only eight.

They have scored five or more goals in six of those matches, including a 9-0 win over Sao Francisco last month.

_108364901_corinthians_facebook.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49395048

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.963eee9173a4be12d48632bd97cc07b9.png

Lionesses: Phil Neville names four debutants in the squad for friendlies

Lionesses coach Phil Neville has named his 24-player squad for England women's upcoming friendlies against Belgium and Norway.

Neville has selected 19 players who featured in the Women's World Cup, as well as handing call-ups to four debutants.

Manchester City midfielder Jill Scott has been rested after her outstanding World Cup campaign.

World Cup team-mates Ellen White and Karen Bardsley miss out through injury.

Chelsea's Bethany England, 25, and Manchester City's Aoife Mannion, 23, have been handed their first senior call-ups, alongside two of the Young Lionesses' bronze medal-winning Under-20 World Cup squad, 21-year-old Sandy MacIver and 20-year-old Anna Patten.

"In selecting my squad it was important to me to ensure we're always working to bring exciting young talent through the pathway and into the senior team," Neville said.

"I'm delighted to be able to give Beth, Aoife, Anna and Sandy their first senior call-ups. It's a huge moment in their careers and they fully deserve the honour, having impressed me so much during last season."

The Lionesses, who reached the semi-finals of the World Cup in France where they lost to eventual winners the USA, face Belgium in Leuven on 29 August, before travelling to Bergen to take on their World Cup quarter-final opponents Norway on 3 September.

Full squad

Goalkeepers: Mary Earps, Sandy MacIver, Ellie Roebuck, Carly Telford

Defenders: Millie Bright, Rachel Daly, Alex Greenwood, Steph Houghton, Aoife Mannion, Abbie McManus, Anna Patten, Demi Stokes, Leah Williamson

Midfielders: Lucy Bronze, Jade Moore, Lucy Staniforth, Georgia Stanway, Keira Walsh

Forwards: Toni Duggan, Bethany England, Fran Kirby, Beth Mead, Nikita Parris, Jodie Taylor

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49405825

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spelling corrections