The better place to talk football.

Women's Football

football forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Funding increase for the Women's game across the sport in Europe

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56905827

Women's football is to receive a four-fold increase in financial support from Uefa's revamped Champions League.

The new model, set to be introduced for the 2021-22 season, will ensure 24m euros (£20.8m) is redistributed to benefit the sport across Europe.

Clubs not playing in the Champions League will receive 23% of that figure.

A further change will see Video Assistant Referee technology - previously only available in the final - used from the quarter-finals onwards.

Clubs will also be permitted to make changes to their squad to cover for maternity leave.

Referring to the financial changes, which he described as a 'giant step forward', Uefa President Aleksander Ceferin said: "[it] will strengthen the women's game across Europe.

"The development of women's football should not be driven by short-term gain but a long-term vision. Thanks to the solidarity payments at the heart of this project and the increased rewards, every last Euro generated by the Women's Champions League and even more will go back into the women's game."

Teams who reach the group stage will earn 400,000 Euros (£347,000) and the winner could receive as much as 1.4m Euros (£1.2m) depending on their results during the tournament.

The new model will include the first ever cross-subsidy from Uefa's men's club competitions to support the women's game; an aspect Ceferin believes represents "a clear signal that the women's game is a strategic priority".

The European Club Association's head of women's football, Claire Bloomfield, said: "This is an extraordinary moment in the history of women's club competitions and testament to what a collaborative approach between ECA and Uefa can accomplish.

"The cross-subsidy from men's European club competitions, vastly improved prize money, plus progressive approach to the competition's new media and sponsorship rights, will significantly change the financial reality for women's clubs throughout Europe.

"The payments to non-participating clubs are also a crucial first step towards achieving further professionalisation and a balanced and competitive future for the game."

• 3 weeks later...

What looked like it was going to be a great end to the season for Chelsea as a club doesn't seem to be going that well. The women's team won the league but now the men's team have lost the FA Cup final and the women's team were slapped aside in the WCL final. If the men's team now lose in the CL final and miss out on top 4, then that has to be a big disappointment for Chelsea.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

WSL matches on the BBC

• Everton v Manchester City - BBC One, 4 September (13:30 BST).
  • Chelsea v Everton - BBC Two, 12 September (12:30 BST).
  • Manchester United v Chelsea - BBC Two, 26 September (12:30 BST).
  • Aston Villa v Arsenal - BBC Two, 3 October (12:30 BST).
  • Manchester United v Manchester City - BBC One, 9 October (13:30 BST).

• 1 month later...

England will host a four team tournament starting next February. It will feature, Germany Spain and another team to be announced in a round Robin tournament. Unlike mens football these mini tournaments mean alot in womens football.

England women are playing tonight will probably watch. Could be a heavy victory 

@Tommy surprised they didn't win by more to be honest.

Some people have questioned the womens football qualifying format and whether it needs change. The issue is over the last few qualifiers 3 teams have won 10.0.  There have also been an 8.0 an 8.1 and a 7.1. Thats only the ones I remember. The problem is not all countries invest in womens football and the difference in quality is massive. When England played North Macedonia the other day 8.0 flattered north Macedonia. England could have had 20 and it wouldn't have been flattering to them. They had 42 attempts on goal. I dont think I've ever seen a game with such a difference on quality.

Maybe these teams should have to pre qualify 

• 2 weeks later...

I watched some of Barcelona v arsenal tonight. Barcelona were excellent. Some of the passing was brilliant by anyone's standards. They play the best football I've seen from a womens team. I would pay good money to see them play. 

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Stan @Eco anyone seen Barcelona play? I'm on my own in this conversation. Its like being back in school 😂

I did in the CL a couple of seasons ago. I think it was against Lyon in the CL Final? 

On 07/10/2021 at 07:39, Stan said:

I did in the CL a couple of seasons ago. I think it was against Lyon in the CL Final? 

Lyon beat Barcelona a couple of years ago in the final. But Barcelona are the best team now. They won their league and only lost one game all season and won the rest. Got 99 points out of 102. The Spanish league is actually very entertaining. Watching real madrid now and it is a very decent game. But no one is as good to watch as Barcelona in my opinion. No one comes close. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Topliss Turnstiles England have two world cup qualifiers coming up against Latvia and northern Ireland. Latvia lost 4.1 at home today to north Macedonia who england beat 8.0. When England last played  northern ireland they won 6.0 so should see a lot of goals over the next couple of games. England have already beat Luxembourg 10.0 and  north Macedonia 8.0 as I mentioned. Austria could be tricky but I think England will want to win every game in qualifying 

10 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Topliss Turnstiles England have two world cup qualifiers coming up against Latvia and northern Ireland. Latvia lost 4.1 at home today to north Macedonia who england beat 8.0. When England last played  northern ireland they won 6.0 so should see a lot of goals over the next couple of games. England have already beat Luxembourg 10.0 and  north Macedonia 8.0 as I mentioned. Austria could be tricky but I think England will want to win every game in qualifying 

Sounds great pal! Do you know where and when these games are please?

11 hours ago, Topliss Turnstiles said:

Sounds great pal! Do you know where and when these games are please?

Northern Ireland is at wembley. Latvia is in latvia . Northern ireland game is tomorrow. Latvia on Tuesday.

What do you think about some of the heavy scorelines in the qualifiers? I mean Holland best Cyprus 8.0 tonight and France beat Estonia 11.0. Due to lack of funding in some countries you get very heavy scorelines quite often. Do you think some teams should pre qualify or is that making the problem worse?

@Topliss Turnstiles I've heard that the Spanish womens league is available on uefa tv. I think it's free but not sure. Watch Barcelona women they are the best womens football team I have ever seen and great to watch. I would pay good money to see them play. @Stan @Eco you might like it as well 

• 3 weeks later...