talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Carabao Cup 2018/19 - Second Round Match Chat

football forum

Never crossed my mind that this was today. 

Here are today's fixtures for the 2nd Round

Tuesday, August 28th
Swansea City vs Crystal Palace
AFC Wimbledon vs West Ham United
Blackburn Rovers vs Lincoln City
AFC Bournemouth vs MK Dons
Brentford vs Cheltenham Town
Brighton & Hove vs Southampton
Burton Albion vs Aston Villa
Cardiff City vs Norwich City
Doncaster Rovers vs Blackpool
Fulham vs Exeter City
Hull City vs Derby County
Leeds United vs Preston North End
Leicester City vs Fleetwood Town
Middlesbrough vs Rochdale
Newport County vs Oxford United
QPR vs Bristol Rovers
Sheffield Wednesday vs Wolverhampton
Walsall vs Macclesfield Town
Wycombe vs Forest Green Rovers
Stoke City vs Huddersfield Town
West Brom vs Mansfield Town

Wednesday, August 29th
Everton vs Rotherham United
Millwall vs Plymouth Argyle
Nottingham Forest vs Newcastle United
Reading vs Watford

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do any of you really care about this competition at this point, or is more of your focus on the league? Personally, I'm happy Portsmouth aren't playing today, and I'm just as happy that Plymouth are playing tomorrow. 

50 minutes ago, Eco said:

Do any of you really care about this competition at this point, or is more of your focus on the league? Personally, I'm happy Portsmouth aren't playing today, and I'm just as happy that Plymouth are playing tomorrow. 

I'd love a cup run but it sounds like we are going to throw this game. 

5 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

I'd love a cup run but it sounds like we are going to throw this game. 

Away to Forest isn't the easy draw for you all, either. No need to risk working your ass off with your first team only to still lose and then have to turn around and play another match this weekend. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Eco said:

I'm going to our game vs Fleetwood. Tickets only £10. Taking a few friends from work as they've not been to our stadium before so thought this may be their easiest opportunity for now and they're fully aware it might be a crap game xD 

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

Rotherham tickets sorted for tomorrow - can't wait :banana:

Everton's situations is a bit different, as they are home and playing a far inferior team. How much effort would you really want to team to put into it if you were instead playing on the road to Middlesbrough or Leeds? 

• Subscriber

I'd rather us try and win this cup than focus on the league so we can finish 7th instead of 8th or whatever. Bored of that.

I hope tomorrow we get to see the first team players that haven't yet had a chance, apart from the likes of Stekelenburg as it's pointless giving him game time. Hopefully something like this:

Pickford

Kenny Holgate Zouma Digne

Baningime Davies

Richarlison Bernard Lookman

Calvert-Lewin

That's a very young side, we have a lot of young players who have been kept around the first team this season. No sense resting Richarlison with his ban coming up so he should play.

If Lookman doesn't feature, or even if he's only on the bench, then I'm sure he's gone. Nobody wants that I don't think, but he also doesn't deserve game time ahead of Richarlison, Dowell, Bernard, Walcott, Sigurdsson, Calvert-Lewin etc if his attitude is anything less than spot on.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I'd rather us try and win this cup than focus on the league so we can finish 7th instead of 8th or whatever. Bored of that.

I hope tomorrow we get to see the first team players that haven't yet had a chance, apart from the likes of Stekelenburg as it's pointless giving him game time. Hopefully something like this:

Pickford

Kenny Holgate Zouma Digne

Baningime Davies

Richarlison Bernard Lookman

Calvert-Lewin

That's a very young side, we have a lot of young players who have been kept around the first team this season. No sense resting Richarlison with his ban coming up so he should play.

If Lookman doesn't feature, or even if he's only on the bench, then I'm sure he's gone. Nobody wants that I don't think, but he also doesn't deserve game time ahead of Richarlison, Dowell, Bernard, Walcott, Sigurdsson, Calvert-Lewin etc if his attitude is anything less than spot on.

So you'd rather make a push for this cup than a push for Europe? 

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, Eco said:

Everton's situations is a bit different, as they are home and playing a far inferior team. How much effort would you really want to team to put into it if you were instead playing on the road to Middlesbrough or Leeds? 

I expect us to have a second string to be fair, with the league a focus and a big game against Liverpool at the weekend to prepare for. Wouldn't be surprised to see plenty of youngsters as well as players that haven't made much of an appearance so far this season. I don't see Iheanacho starting as if he got injured, we'll only have Okazaki as a proper striker to play against Liverpool...

Ward

Simpson/Amartey - Soyuncu - Morgan - Fuchs

Ghezzal - King/Choudhury - Diabate

Silva

Okazaki

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Stan said:

@RandoEFC Richarlison is suspended?

That's right I initially thought it was three league games but turns out he cup counts as one of the three.

In that case, Dowell instead of Bernard in the middle and Bernard wide.

16 minutes ago, Eco said:

So you'd rather make a push for this cup than a push for Europe? 

100% yes. I'm not really arsed about getting into Europe this season and Everton fans are the only Premier League fans who haven't had a trophy or at least a promotion (not that I'm saying it would be better to get relegated and come back up just for a laugh but we've had the most boring time ever) to get excited about since 1995. 

Even if you are bothered about getting Europa League next season, 7th is only likely, not definite, to get you in, and winning this trophy would certainly get you in.

I can understand why the likes of Huddersfield, Newcastle and Cardiff would fuck this competition off because committing to an extra few games might make the difference for them between 17th and 18th, but clubs like Everton, Leicester, Crystal Palace etc surely have to be retarded not to try and win the thing for the sake of a slightly better chance of an extra league position.

1 hour ago, Eco said:

Away to Forest isn't the easy draw for you all, either. No need to risk working your ass off with your first team only to still lose and then have to turn around and play another match this weekend. 

FA Cup maybe, but away to a probably weakened Championship team in a probably half empty stadium should be winnable for any prem first team.

We played Forest last year and put out a horrible looking side in places that lost 3-2.

I don't mind a few squad players starting if we keep a solid core as that should be enough to get through, but last year we put shite out in central areas and played a couple of completely out of their depth kids.

22 minutes ago, Marc said:

A regionalised draw and we get Cardiff away xD We could really do without this game before ipswich away. 11 changes please.

To be fair, it was rationalized just in terms of North/South. But yeah, Norwich and Cardiff are on opposite ends.

30 minutes ago, Eco said:

To be fair, it was rationalized just in terms of North/South. But yeah, Norwich and Cardiff are on opposite ends.

Yeah ,I know just pretty stupid when the idea of it is to eliminate travelling and we draw Cardiff, a team that’s further away than the majority of the northern teams. 

3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Why do they have so many games played on a Tuesday and so few on a Wednesday?? 

Answers on a postcard please.. 

Equals out the rest between Saturday - Midweek - Saturday.

Teams would far rather play on Tuesday nights.

1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

Equals out the rest between Saturday - Midweek - Saturday.

Teams would far rather play on Tuesday nights.

Yea I suppose so.. more demands on lower league sides with the extra games they play... Just catches me out on my Super 6 xD

• Subscriber

I'm trying to watch Wimbledon v West Ham but it's hard work. Be funny if West Ham go onto lose this. Apparently the bloke who's been sent off for Wimbledon has now got 3 red cards in 5 games? Hope I didn't mishear that xD.

I wonder what the West Ham reaction will be if they do lose. It's not an important fixture in the context of their poor start to the season, but four consecutive defeats is a disastrous start in any context.

• This topic was pinned, unpinned and pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived