talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sunday 2nd September - Cardiff 2-3 Arsenal

football forum

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a messy game.  We are so unbalanced it's unbelievable...  I hope the base Arsenal fans don't forget that these sorts of results were becoming more and more habitual since two seasons back and that this is us still suffering from the symptoms.  The important thing is to keep our heads above water in terms of respectability adjoined to our actual situation. 

Made hard work of that, Lacazette and Auba finally doing something this season. Ramsey was MOTM for me was fantastic in the midfield for us I would love to see him and Torreira alongside eachother. If Torreira isn't starting from now on Emery needs his head wobbled, absolutely brilliant cameo from the boy.

Disappointments today was Özil who needs a serious look at himself, poor again. Also the defence is so shaky, still needs serious work, but great to get another 3 points.

Our defending is definitely worse this season than last season and it wasn't that great last season. Cech as a shot stopper is very good but playing out from the back isn't for him, don't even see how it benefits us that much either. Only works with dominant sides where the opposition stand off. Cardiff's second shouldn't have happened though, was never a freekick. No complaints about us going forward though.

• The title was changed to Sunday 2nd September - Cardiff 2-3 Arsenal
  • Administrator
7 minutes ago, shut up said:

Love Torreira, ALWAYS passes the ball forward and try tries to make things happen. We look a miles better team when he's on the pitch.

same. his energy in the middle of the pitch is what this Arsenal side need as a balance to the flair/skill/pace that the players ahead (Aubameyang, Lacazette, Ramsey, Ozil etc) have. 

Bit of aggression about him as well but more reasonably so than Xhaka.

I'm still not sold on Guendouzi, either. Can dwell on the ball a bit too much. 

Torreira is the exact type of player we need to be gunning for, young and hungry. Too many players at the club are too settled and are happy to drift. Serious overhauls will be happening over the next few years. I can see it being a long process if we don't get our deals right.

22 hours ago, shut up said:

Love Torreira, ALWAYS passes the ball forward and try tries to make things happen. We look a miles better team when he's on the pitch.

I think he'll start soon. 

55 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Bit harsh on Cardiff this result... done well I thought.. 

It was also harsh on us when we played you mate.

Right now it’s about converting those chances until we get some momentum going with the coach managing to bring his methods to the team. 

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

It was also harsh on us when we played you mate.

Right now it’s about converting those chances until we get some momentum going with the coach managing to bring his methods to the team. 

Difference between playing another top 6 rival and someone struggling though is a world apart... For Cardiff it's results like this that can determine if they can get enough points to survive relegation or not come the end of the season but for the likes of Arsenal it's more a case that dropped points probably means maybe missing out on a CL spot or something.. Worse case for them is they drop down a league and they may end up losing any player that stood out from the crowd.. but for Arsenal worse case scenario is they will probably still get enough points to be in the Europa League... 

44 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Difference between playing another top 6 rival and someone struggling though is a world apart... For Cardiff it's results like this that can determine if they can get enough points to survive relegation or not come the end of the season but for the likes of Arsenal it's more a case that dropped points probably means maybe missing out on a CL spot or something.. Worse case for them is they drop down a league and they may end up losing any player that stood out from the crowd.. but for Arsenal worse case scenario is they will probably still get enough points to be in the Europa League... 

That’s the ehtical side to it mate but I’ve never been one to subscribe to giving an underdog (underdog of this particular value) any gifting praise.

It’s like when a smaller club plays Manchester City for example and they hold out by parking the bus for 90 minutes and in the final minute City’s pressure finally tells and they score to win.

You’ll have people say they were unlucky when in actual fact they played with fire and were lucky to have survived.

I call it as it is mate and have no gifts for anyone other than when a referee’s decision handicaps one of the teams.

There are times when the smaller side actually does play better than the bigger side and that’s when it’s unlucky if quality from the big boy has a telling effect. 

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

That’s the ehtical side to it mate but I’ve never been one to subscribe to giving an underdog (underdog of this particular value) any gifting praise.

It’s like when a smaller club plays Manchester City for example and they hold out by parking the bus for 90 minutes and in the final minute City’s pressure finally tells and they score to win.

You’ll have people say they were unlucky when in actual fact they played with fire and were lucky to have survived.

I call it as it is mate and have no gifts for anyone other than when a referee’s decision handicaps one of the teams.

There are times when the smaller side actually does play better than the bigger side and that’s when it’s unlucky if quality from the big boy has a telling effect. 

Almost similar to how Newcastle set up against us.... Not fun for any fan to have to sit through that for 90 minutes and I certainly don't condone that tactic but have seen it so many times with us under Mourinho so can't really be heaping shit on anyone else for doing it..

Mid to lower table sides without multi million pound players at the top of the skills range in every position are hardly going to risk getting slaughtered as goal difference is also a factor in going down when push comes to shove.. I mean each team has it's seasons objectives and Arsenals will be to try and finish top 4, Cardiff will be hoping to avoid relegation and aim for as high a position as possible.. I don't downplay the importance of either as each is equally important in it's own way... I mean they fought their way back into it twice only to be denied late on.. sounds a bit like you were playing with fire yourselves at times.. 

Cardiff played well and did enough to snatch a point from Arsenal, bad luck for them that they couldnt finish some good chances. Almost like a repeat of Chelsea vs Arsenal, except,  with Arsenal being the benefactor this weekend.

Loving the new signings Torreira and Guedsacngesaosaoi

15 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Almost similar to how Newcastle set up against us.... Not fun for any fan to have to sit through that for 90 minutes and I certainly don't condone that tactic but have seen it so many times with us under Mourinho so can't really be heaping shit on anyone else for doing it..

Mid to lower table sides without multi million pound players at the top of the skills range in every position are hardly going to risk getting slaughtered as goal difference is also a factor in going down when push comes to shove.. I mean each team has it's seasons objectives and Arsenals will be to try and finish top 4, Cardiff will be hoping to avoid relegation and aim for as high a position as possible.. I don't downplay the importance of either as each is equally important in it's own way... I mean they fought their way back into it twice only to be denied late on.. sounds a bit like you were playing with fire yourselves at times.. 

I know mate.  Depending on a club's resources and various other factors, each respective team has its priorities.

Far and away from starting a serious debate on the finer aspects of what I personally feel teams should do to advance and not be eternally stuck in a mundane survival mode, what I was saying is that I understand and respect that some smaller sides (most) setup not to lose against the bigger boys...  But that doesn't make me give an analysis of "weren't they unlucky!" When they set out to defend and hold out for a lucky draw.  The truth is the truth and I've never understood the "unlucky not to get a result" comment as in truth it should be "they were lucky to survive so long in that game".

• The topic was unpinned

Archived