• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Clint Dempsey Retires from Sounders & USMNT

football forum

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clint Dempsey retires from Seattle Sounders, United States national team

Clint Dempsey is retiring from both the Seattle Sounders and the United States national team effective immediately, the club announced on Wednesday.

Dempsey, 35, played professionally for 15 years, including seven in the Premier League for Tottenham and Fulham, as well as stints with the New England Revolution and the Sounders in Major League Soccer.

In the club's announcement, Dempsey said: "After a lot of thought, my family and I have decided that this is the right time for me to step away from the game.

"I'd like to thank all of the teammates, coaches and support staff that I've worked with throughout my career. It has always been my dream to make it as a pro. I'm grateful to have been on this ride.

"I would like to thank all of the fans who have supported me throughout my career with the New England Revolution, Fulham, Tottenham, Seattle Sounders and the U.S. Men's National Team. Y'all have always made me feel at home, and it is something that I will always remember."

Dempsey missed the second half of the 2016 season with the Sounders with a heart condition that put his career in jeopardy, but returned to Seattle the next year after being cleared by doctors. He was named the MLS Comeback Player of the Year last season when he again became the leading scorer for the Sounders and reclaimed a place on the U.S. national team.

Dempsey has played in 14 games for the Sounders this year, but his potential for playing time the rest of the year was likely to be limited after Seattle signed Peru international Raul Ruidiaz in June.

At international level, Dempsey scored 57 goals for the U.S. national team, tied with Landon Donovan for the most all time. His 43 World Cup qualifying caps are the most in U.S. team history and he is tied for the most qualifying goals with Jozy Altidore at 18.

A fantastic player in his day at World Cups for USA, in the Premier League for Fulham, and for a brief spell at Tottenham. 

I felt he left England a little early. He could have given another decent two years at the top level, but he seems happy with his decision and I hope he considers a coaching role over these shores in the near future.

31 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

A fantastic player in his day at World Cups for USA, in the Premier League for Fulham, and for a brief spell at Tottenham. 

I felt he left England a little early. He could have given another decent two years at the top level, but he seems happy with his decision and I hope he considers a coaching role over these shores in the near future.

He had some great years at Seattle, but yeah, I enjoyed him while at Fulham. 

He will always be remembered by myself for being a major reason I won the works fantasy league (£500) when he turned out for Fulham and scored me 15+ goals as a defender! Yeah, the guy running the league made a mistake in his positioning n I took full advantage of that.

Fine player who must have picked up plenty of air miles, too n from the states on International duty.

• Subscriber

One of the better players from the USMNT that went to the 2010 WC. Never really thought much of him in his time in the Prem but when it came to International football he was the better out of the two top scorers (Donovan was the better finisher though). 

Archived