talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UEFA to introduce new 32-team competition from 2021

football forum

• Subscriber

Uefa is set to create a third-tier club competition behind the Champions League and Europa League from 2021, according to German magazine Sport Bild.

The creation of the as-yet unnamed third-tier competition will see a restructuring of the second-tier Europa League, which will be reduced from 48 to 32 clubs. The new third-tier competition will consist of 32 clubs. The Champions League will continue to be contested by 32 clubs.

Uefa, football’s European governing body, hopes that reducing the number of teams in the Europa League will increase the quality of the competition, leading to greater revenue from media and marketing rights. The creation of a new competition, with clubs from new albeit smaller countries, will also increase the value of media rights in these markets.

The third tier is expected to be in operation for the next three-season cycle, from 2021-22 to 2023-24.

https://www.sportbusiness.com/sport-news/uefa-introduce-third-tier-club-competition-2021

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It just seems like an idea to keep the next best thirty-two sides that can’t quite make the Champions League together and in the money and to keep some of the smaller sides out. 

I’d like to see if there’s any correlation between competing in the Europa League and doing well in domestic football. I know a lot of English managers moan about it but I don’t think it has such an effect on the continent. 

Qualifiers, or namely the early rounds of the qualifiers, are largely pointless. How many teams progress from the first round of the qualifiers in either competition to make it to actual group stages? I can’t imagine we ever get many, if any.

• 2 weeks later...

On 30/08/2018 at 21:22, Danny said:

So they're keeping the Europa League as the Carling Cup of Europe and now creating the JPT of Europe as well?

Pretty much but it's all about the money... 

On 30/08/2018 at 17:49, nudge said:

will increase the quality of the competition, leading to greater revenue from media and marketing rights

On 30/08/2018 at 17:49, nudge said:

The creation of a new competition, with clubs from new albeit smaller countries, will also increase the value of media rights in these markets.

Who gives a toss if it's good football or not as long as peoples pockets are getting crammed with money that's all that really matters.. 

Hopefully this is a European tournament for the domestic sides from places like Luxembourg, San Marino, Wales and the like and not a tournament for the “third tier” elite level sides from major European leagues that aren’t good enough to finish in the Europa League places and are then rewarded for mediocrity by finishing 11th. 

The current qualification processes for both the Champions League and the Europa League are long and quite often, pointless in some respects. I notice every year that the qualifiers for both tournaments begins in June. How many teams that start in the opening round of qualification actually get to the group stages? It can’t be many, so maybe it’s better that they have their own tournament in which they can compete for a trophy and a financial boost. 

4 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Hopefully this is a European tournament for the domestic sides from places like Luxembourg, San Marino, Wales and the like and not a tournament for the “third tier” elite level sides from major European leagues that aren’t good enough to finish in the Europa League places and are then rewarded for mediocrity by finishing 11th. 

The current qualification processes for both the Champions League and the Europa League are long and quite often, pointless in some respects. I notice every year that the qualifiers for both tournaments begins in June. How many teams that start in the opening round of qualification actually get to the group stages? It can’t be many, so maybe it’s better that they have their own tournament in which they can compete for a trophy and a financial boost. 

I have to agree with this. Unfortunately I don't think it will be as Premier League, La Liga, Serie A etc teams mean on the whole more revenue.

I like the idea of them reducing the size of the Europa League. Stopping Champions League sides from dropping down into the Europa League half way through would be another good idea which they should consider. Starting a whole new competition though...? Unnecessary.

I agree. Being rewarded for finishing 3rd in your group is pitiful. Especially when that team goes on and wins the Europa whereas those who finished 1st/2nd in the CL group stage go on and get knocked out in the quarters or semi final. 

On 14/09/2018 at 10:14, Devon Von Devon said:

I like the idea of Champions league being contested by league winners only and Europa league by cup winners.

It would be shit in my opinion. Having some team that finished top of scotland ahead of real Madrid etc 

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 08:07, Cicero said:

I agree. Being rewarded for finishing 3rd in your group is pitiful. Especially when that team goes on and wins the Europa whereas those who finished 1st/2nd in the CL group stage go on and get knocked out in the quarters or semi final. 

Maybe it's a punishment for coming in 3rd. I feel like Thursday night matches always lead to fixture congestion somehow. Then your side ends up gassed half the time in the league routinely if you're like us. I've never understood why they let bad group teams keep playing in Europe though - it does devalue the tournament.

I know a lot is said about the Champions League and it not being like the European Cup anymore but I think reverting to that competition style wouldn't make sense. If we did the UEFA Cup/Europa League would hold more prestige as that would have more top quality sides in it.

For me what the Champions League needs are A. more teams like your Celtic's, PSV's, Ajax's etc but B. more groups like this season, Spurs, Inter and Barce drawn into one. Liverpool, Napoli and PSG into another. Make the group stages exciting rather than a formality for the big sides.

We’ll never see the Champions League go to just Champions of respective country’s. There’s not enough quality there and not enough teams to make it worthwhile. This year we’d lose the likes of Napoli, Atletico Madrid, Liverpool, Monaco etc and have games like Barcelona v The New Saints. There’s no appetite for that whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

We’ll never see the Champions League go to just Champions of respective country’s. There’s not enough quality there and not enough teams to make it worthwhile. This year we’d lose the likes of Napoli, Atletico Madrid, Liverpool, Monaco etc and have games like Barcelona v The New Saints. There’s no appetite for that whatsoever.

I afree 100%. If they took the first place teams of the top 32 leagues the competition wouldn't be as good imo. I think it has to far the other way in that 4 leagues get 4 teams but I  don't think it should go back to only league winners 

Archived