talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Next Rangers Manager

football forum

It's also mental how much control they gave to him over transfers - now the next manager is left stuck with the Mexican contingent that basically came purely for Caixinha and who nobody really knows except for him.

Rather than building a decent quality side with players who won't need to adapt like Moult and Walker, and first focusing on overtaking Aberdeen, they've blown huge amounts of money on largely unknown quantities out of faith in a manager that they've sacked less than a year later.

It's almost not funny. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll be interesting to see their strategy and what Mark Allen, their Director of Football, does at the club. Seems to be a split in beliefs of what he controls at the club and what responsibilities fall back onto him. Most importantly whether he is the manager trusted to choose the replacement for Pedro Caixinha.

He doesn't seem to have control over first team transfers as they seemed to fall back on Caixinha's judgement. Their fans have complained about the board not backing the manager with money to spend, but they spent around £8 million in the summer. That is far more money than is required to sit above 4th, where they currently are.

His history at Man City shows he was far more involved with youth teams and development of players, which is another failing area of the club. The only first team player that actually came through the youth setup is Danny Wilson, who has had spells at Liverpool and Hearts before returning. That is a long term area for him to improve, so it's far too early to criticise him for it but important to understand the mismanagement that the club has been through.

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:01 AM, Inverted said:

They've blown huge amounts of money on largely unknown quantities out of faith in a manager that they've sacked less than a year later.

And now basically confirmed that they never actually had a scouting department in place over summer, because they've only just put it together.

By all means take your time in selecting the right people, some of which have impressive CVs, but don't in the meantime allow your new manager to spend £8million on players who haven't played in the league and were out of favour at their old clubs.

10 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

An absolute career ender if he doesn't do well here, though at Rangers there are circumstances out of the managers control, but nonetheless, if it doesn't work for him here, I'd be surprised to see him work in the UK again. 

And that's why I think he'd stay far away from it. The level defined as 'success' at Rangers, at present, varies massively when going from one supporter to another. He, fairly or otherwise, is seen as a joke figure amongst your everyday supporter and won't have the same honeymoon period as a lot of managers have. He isn't going to have anything like the galvanising effect that a big name manager coming to Scotland would have.

Under pressure from day one to rebuild a football club, and any weakness will be pounced upon by the Glasgow-based Scottish media.

I honestly don't think Boer can risk it at all on his next job - he should wait for another opening in the Netherlands. At least if somebody like McInnes goes there and fails, he's got a solid reputation to fall back on and can explain it away as the result of the unusual circumstance of being Rangers manager. 

On 11/10/2017 at 4:36 PM, Inverted said:

I honestly don't think Boer can risk it at all on his next job - he should wait for another opening in the Netherlands. At least if somebody like McInnes goes there and fails, he's got a solid reputation to fall back on and can explain it away as the result of the unusual circumstance of being Rangers manager. 

With all the media coverage, I was beginning to think it was only a matter of time before McInnes was Rangers manager. Unlike most Aberdeen fans, I'm not too bothered about the coverage of it all. McInnes doesn't seem the type of person to let it all go to his head and think he has to take the job. If he was, he'd have already moved to Sunderland. It's actually the first time that I've seen an Aberdeen manager linked to leaving the club that wasn't just them being sacked, which is a pretty depressing thought. Jimmy Calderwood briefly flirted with a move to England, but most people seemed to want him sacked anyway.

Rangers seem like they are happy enough to wait it out and take their time with appointing a new manager and staff, making every ITK on Twitter look foolish about their timetable for announcing whatever manager came up that day. I don't believe that finance will be too big an issue for them, for a decent fee at least. They seemed to easily find enough money for players in summer, another million for a manager won't be too big an issue. Obviously, they won't come out and say that to weaken any negotiating point they take. 

Murty seems to be handling it all well at the moment anyway, he's handled the media pretty well and at least united the team again. I don't know enough about him as a coach, he had a very mediocre season with their youth team last season, but the talent in that team should be enough to see off most Premiership team. With Hamilton and Dundee their next two opponents, it's not exactly going to need a manager in to win those games. His trust in young players, from his day job as development team manager, is also doing him no harm at all either.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit sad to see some fans starting to become disenchanted with Murty, I think the idea of carrying on with until next summer is gone from pretty much everyone's minds now.

It reminds a bit of Unsworth, a likeable guy who the fans can't really bring themselves to go on too hard, being left exposed and out of their depth by the board. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived