Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Denmark Release Squad Due to Dispute Over Fees

Stars such as Eriksen and Schmeichel may not play over the international break.

Personally think it's bloody disgraceful that players get or expect to get paid for appearing for their countries... as if they don't get paid a more than comfortable salary as it is.. What about being proud to pull on the shirt and be one of the lucky few that can represent a whole nation... can't put a price on that

I understand that since 2007 the England squad have been foregoing any fees they may have been entitled too and instead it goes to the England Footballers Federation which has distributed it out to various charities.. that at least is noteworthy.

Kylian Mbappe also gives away his match fees because he does not believe he should get paid for representing his country... Bloody good for him

• Upvote 4

If I was Danish I would be somewhat pissed at the players who have been influential in the row over these pay incentives. Playing for your country should be an honour. I agree that flight, accommodation, dietary requirements should be a given but I don't think these issues are up for discussion.

Denmark could face a UEFA ban if they can't find a team to field as they had to previously postpone a match of their women's teams under similar circumstances.

There has to be more to this than just the players want money.

15 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Personally think it's bloody disgraceful that players get or expect to get paid for appearing for their countries... as if they don't get paid a more than comfortable salary as it is.. What about being proud to pull on the shirt and be one of the lucky few that can represent a whole nation... can't put a price on that

I understand that since 2007 the England squad have been foregoing any fees they may have been entitled too and instead it goes to the England Footballers Federation which has distributed it out to various charities.. that at least is noteworthy.

Kylian Mbappe also gives away his match fees because he does not believe he should get paid for representing his country... Bloody good for him

In football it totally makes sense but in some sports playing for your country is the only reasonable salary you will earn like field hockey. 

Cricket used to be the same but now with all the T20 leagues players can earn more than on national duty. 

I was under the impression that players gave away their “fee” for playing for their country. I know it’s the case, or it’s said to be the case, with England International players and I’m surprised it’s not the same with a relatively big country in footballing terms like Denmark. That said, maybe they do give it away and want a better “fee” for their work. 

It makes a mockery of International Football and the Nations League, which is in its infancy. They’re likely to field futsal players and/or third division Danish players. 

16 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I was under the impression that players gave away their “fee” for playing for their country. I know it’s the case, or it’s said to be the case, with England International players and I’m surprised it’s not the same with a relatively big country in footballing terms like Denmark. That said, maybe they do give it away and want a better “fee” for their work. 

It makes a mockery of International Football and the Nations League, which is in its infancy. They’re likely to field futsal players and/or third division Danish players. 

Dutch players donate their fee to a foundation,  very surprised about Denmark to be honest, no offence to anyone but this is the kind of problems you have with African national teams. 

From my understanding the DFB are trying to stop their players having independant commercial revenue deals as they have previously had players not participating due to conflicts of interest. It would be a bit like Harry Kane refusing to participate in the obligatory Carlsberg England advert because he has his own sponsorship deal with another beer company.

I imagine though this is more the final straw in a chain of incidents. For the Danish league and women's team to strike previously there must be some deep rooted problems.

The scenes if John Jensen can pull off a win here though. 

The squad has been named and it's fill of amatuer Futsal players.

Firstly I hope the sport are rewarded heavily financially for getting involved along with the players.

Second, I hope this on television. The one in a hundred chance of seeing Ryan Giggs face if they lose this live would be amazing.

This looks like the Danish FA trying to protect their sponsorship revenue with Carlsberg.

Carlsberg don't do joke friendlies but if they did...

Great news for Wales, this. They should be able to pick up three points against these this weekend, which is a positive start to the Nations League. 

Martin O’Neill, Roy Keane and Ireland are likely to moan that this is unfair on Ireland, should this be resolved by the time they have to play them in future. 

It is completely unfair on Ireland.

7 hours ago, Dan said:

It is completely unfair on Ireland.

Ah well, we could do with another major tournament without their fans trying to outdo each other for LadBible Facebook videos. 

• Upvote 1

Danish players are now allegedly available for the Wales game. How does that work? Surely the Danes named a 23-25 man squad and that was that, like everybody else and if their players wanted to return, they’d have to wait for the next International break?