Football Manager 2017 - General Chat

football forum

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

sometimes this game frustrates me. 

but at other times, I fucking love it. 

my striker who has scored 144 goals in 191 appearances for me, across 9 seasons, has decided to end his international career at the ripe age of 29 xD

s-l1000.jpg

Celtic Football Club - Summer Transfers 2017

In

• Graeame Shinnie - (Aberdeen, £750,000) - I wanted a Scottish left-back and someone with a bit more experience than Kieran Tierney for the Champions League squad registrations and being able to get a player of Shinnie's ability for a six-figure fee, whilst weakening one of our biggest rivals was nice too.
  • Allan Campbell - (Motherwell, £100,000) - An 18 year-old with potential according to my scouts and Director of Football so grabbing him for such a small fee was nice.
  • Danny Da Costa (Bayer Leverkusen, £1,200,000) - 24 years-old and on the transfer list at Leverkusen so was well worth taking a punt on. He was also rated as good as Mikael Lustig but is five years his junior so a simple addition.
  • Vincent Janssen (Tottenham Hostpur, Loan) - I needed a fourth striker and the list of available players for loan was much better than the previous summer's and Janssen should do enough for me despite a poor first year at Spurs.
  • Benoit Costil (Stade Rennais, Free) - Not confident in Craig Gordon's ability to stay fit or play at the level required, I started looking for a keeper six months before the end of the season and Costil's name kept coming up from my scouts. At 29, he's not the youngest but his stats completely outweighed Gordon's and it was a natural choice to offer Costil a deal after his contract ended at Stade Rennais.
  • Macauley Gillesphey (Newcastle United, Free) - His contract ended at Newcastle and I was made aware of his availability by my scouts and though not the finished article, he's a player with potential and hopefully he can reach that here.
  • Kenedy (Chelsea, Loan) - Patrick Roberts was good for us and he did become available again but I thought we could do better and Kenedy chose us over Swansea, Bournemouth and Hull. 

Out

• Kris Commons and Emilio Izaguirre (Released) - Commons didn't feature at all for me and spent the second half of the season at Hibs on loan and Izaguirre wanted more first team football, his ability was declining and I wanted a younger alternative.
  • Mikael Lustig (Marseille, £1,000,000) - He got the hump after becoming second fiddle to Christian Gamboa and started trying to cause problems within the club. Marseille come in and took him off my hands.
  • Dedryck Boyata (Utrecht, £100,000) - He was behind Ben Yousseff, Sviatchenko, Smith and Eoghan O'Connell so I kept dropping his asking price till finally someone took him off my hands.
  • Allan Campbell (Motherwell, Loan) - Wanting Campbell to get game time I put his name out there and the team we signed him from, Motherwell, came back in for him and made a very good case for taking him back.
  • Ryan Christie (Hearts, £1,000,000) - After his loan at Aberdeen, I didn't have a place for him and offered him around, he bizarrely chose Hearts over Leeds.
  • Saidy Janko (Panathanaikos, £500,000) - Deadwood, not a lot to say here.
  • Scott Brown (Fiorentina, £500,000) - Arguably our biggest departure. Don't get me wrong, I like Brown but at the same time he was a liability that picked up too many cards (18 yellow, 2 red), missed too many games through suspension and meant I had to watch him like a hawk and often use a sub getting him off when he teetered on the edge of disaster and with that combined with his age and the number of good, younger centre midfielders I had, Brown had to go. He had his suitors but chose Florence and Serie A over a number of moves across the globe.
  • Jozo Simunovic (Getafe, £2,000,000) - Jozo was good for us but nothing more and with four good centre halves at the club in Ben Yousseff, Sviatchenko and O'Connell, I had no place for him and managed to get a good fee for him.
  • Nadir Ciftci (PAOK, £750,000) - I thought about keeping him, I really did but his stats weren't as good as I wanted and there were teams interested in him after his loan spell in Poland.
  • Macauley Gillesphey (Hibernian, Loan) - Needs games and Hibs offered a good opportunity.

So, a big summer at Parkhead. The list of departures have had some players with fantastic, trophy laden spells at Celtic but it's time for change and we had to move on and are now attempting to create new history with a new batch of players. 

I've been extremely busy as of late but I've now got some time to play FM. I started a save with Juan Aurich de Chiclayo. Basically my aim is to win the Copa Libertadores with only youth academy products. I can make a maximum of 2 signings per window and the whole team must be Peruvian.

• Administrator
Just now, Cannabis said:

I know, laughing at how far in the future you are.

love a long save. I find it hard to start multiple ones. 

always interests me where ex-players or current managers get to when you're this far down the game.

Gary Rowett - Arsenal
Fernando Hierro - Wolves
Zinedine Zidane - Leverkusen
Jurgen Klinsmann - Frankfurt Erlenbruch (German 2nd Division)
Bacary Sagna - Fulham
Sinisa Mihajlovic - Hull 
Jermain Defoe - Coventry
Lucas Leiva - Birmingham
Tim Howard - Dover 
Romelu Lukaku - Scunthorpe

They're all ones that stand out as managers xD 

• Administrator

yep that's probably the best one. They're in League Two. 

Wonder if this will happen in real life...

Ligue 1_ History Past Winners.png

Saint-Etienne ruined the regularity in 2022 :thumbdown:

40 minutes ago, Stan said:

yep that's probably the best one. They're in League Two. 

Wonder if this will happen in real life...

Ligue 1_ History Past Winners.png

Saint-Etienne ruined the regularity in 2022 :thumbdown:

Out of curiousity, which FM year is this? Also, how does it say are the Serie A champions in the future?

• Administrator
1 minute ago, ATL said:

Out of curiousity, which FM year is this? Also, how does it say are the Serie A champions in the future?

For Italy, 20 seasons brings a resurgence of Inter or Milan wins...

Serie A_ History Past Winners.png

Napoli have been desperately unlucky. Eight 2nd-place finishes!

1 minute ago, Stan said:

For Italy, 20 seasons brings a resurgence of Inter or Milan wins...

Serie A_ History Past Winners.png

Napoli have been desperately unlucky. Eight 2nd-place finishes!

Nice - No strange choices there. Wasn't sure if we'd get a Fiorentina or even an Genoa/Sampdoria odd ball winner.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, ATL said:

Nice - No strange choices there. Wasn't sure if we'd get a Fiorentina or even an Genoa/Sampdoria odd ball winner.

closest they came were in 2026/27, when Fiorentina came in 4th. That season Napoli lost on goal difference to Inter. 

Sassuolo came in 4th a season later. 

Genoa, Barin & Torino came in 4th, 5th & 6th respectively in 2035/36. 

c853e75ce1d57cd5aab49fea04e7051f.png

Huge win away to Sporting Cristal, the best team in the league. The quality of footballing level between us 2 is massive, but I took advantage of Jair Cespedes' side. With 10 positioning, I knew it was there for the taking. I'm using my Boca Juniors tactic YET AGAIN, but I switched it over to a right winger for this one just to take advantage of that side.

Funnily enough though, that wasn't what won me the game. Defending won us it. Cespedes got a 7.0. I switched the fullbacks over to support while moving further forward and it worked wonders. Renzo Sheput topped it off with a lovely free kick against his former club.

• Subscriber

Note to self. Never, ever listen to anything I say again. Watford are in relegation danger xD

It's absolutely beyond me. They should walk the league.

That was your teaser. All to be revealed in part one coming soon ;)

As much as I'd love to carry on I only started the Arsenal file to try and find my feet with the game, so for now I'm going to start a new one in the Championship with Barnsley. They have some money, not a lot but enough to try and play around with.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Danny said:

As much as I'd love to carry on I only started the Arsenal file to try and find my feet with the game, so for now I'm going to start a new one in the Championship with Barnsley. They have some money, not a lot but enough to try and play around with.

Now this should be interesting xD

So I spent a bit of last night doing transfers and have just now started my first season as the Gaffer Extraordinaire. Happy with the first game, a convincing 3-0 win over Ipswich. Adam Armstrong is currently coming back from an injury so no presence from him but definitely didn't lack any goals. 

Transfers

58f71d21e0b03_Barnsleytransfers.thumb.jpg.d151b65ef04c5a5140e429e97a82796a.jpg

Team

58f71d1c9eaba_Barnsleyteam.thumb.jpg.839c7d6921ac56ab22dd17ceafeabd3a.jpg

First Match

BarnsleyIpswich.thumb.jpg.3ce7a0b40fc7bfc99e972fd3a60b1906.jpg

10 hours ago, Danny said:

So I spent a bit of last night doing transfers and have just now started my first season as the Gaffer Extraordinaire. Happy with the first game, a convincing 3-0 win over Ipswich. Adam Armstrong is currently coming back from an injury so no presence from him but definitely didn't lack any goals. 

Transfers

58f71d21e0b03_Barnsleytransfers.thumb.jpg.d151b65ef04c5a5140e429e97a82796a.jpg

Team

58f71d1c9eaba_Barnsleyteam.thumb.jpg.839c7d6921ac56ab22dd17ceafeabd3a.jpg

First Match

BarnsleyIpswich.thumb.jpg.3ce7a0b40fc7bfc99e972fd3a60b1906.jpg

If you need depth at center back in January go for Axel Tuanzebe. I can't recommend him enough. He's like a calm version of sakho.

Loans are the way to get out of that league. Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, United, Everton and Newcastle all have academy players that can get you out this league in two or so seasons.

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived