• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football Manager 2017 - General Chat

football forum

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Managed to win AFF Suzuki Cup (Southeast Asian championship) and have instantly received job interviews with Hertha, Wolfsburg and Frankfurt. Declined all and will be preparing for the Asian Cup now with the long-term goal to qualify for the World Cup. I think I'll have to take some club job as well at some point though.

58 minutes ago, nudge said:

Managed to win AFF Suzuki Cup (Southeast Asian championship) and have instantly received job interviews with Hertha, Wolfsburg and Frankfurt. Declined all and will be preparing for the Asian Cup now with the long-term goal to qualify for the World Cup. I think I'll have to take some club job as well at some point though.

This is the type of save my best FM buddy would do :D

He took Tahiti to the semi-finals of the 2018 World Cup and took Kyrgystan to the tournament, although went out in the groups.

• 2 weeks later...
football forum
5 hours ago, Dan said:

Bochum's been a fucking superb save. Just so much to update on though.

I know the feeling, over 12 months on from when I last posted xD

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Cannabis said:

I know the feeling, over 12 months on from when I last posted xD

It's bad. I always want to update it but just forget then get so far ahead. I think I'm in season 8 now and honestly I regret not doing updates. This one could potentially top Sparta. It's become a fucking brilliant team.

• 5 months later...
  • Subscriber

Haven't played for months and started a save with Kaiserslautern today... For those like me who still play FM17  - sortitoutsi.net does live updates with the latest transfers to keep up to date.

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Haven't played for months and started a save with Kaiserslautern today... For those like me who still play FM17  - sortitoutsi.net does live updates with the latest transfers to keep up to date.

I think FM17 is the last one I seriously played. Honestly this game would crush my time so much I had to uninstall it, but there are times that I miss the hell out of it. 

Also, went to a Kaiserslautern match while I was over in Germany, and it was a class atmosphere. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Eco said:

I think FM17 is the last one I seriously played. Honestly this game would crush my time so much I had to uninstall it, but there are times that I miss the hell out of it. 

Also, went to a Kaiserslautern match while I was over in Germany, and it was a class atmosphere. 

To their home match at Betze? Yeah it's a great atmosphere; well at least it used to be as I last went almost twenty years ago.

I only play when I have a bit time off work... So usually a few days in a row until I get a new project to work on and then I forget about it for months haha. Mostly during off-season as well as I'm missing football. Won't buy any of the new games as it isn't worth it for me but I still enjoy FM17 from time to time.

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

To their home match at Betze? Yeah it's a great atmosphere; well at least it used to be as I last went almost twenty years ago.

I only play when I have a bit time off work... So usually a few days in a row until I get a new project to work on and then I forget about it for months haha. Mostly during off-season as well as I'm missing football. Won't buy any of the new games as it isn't worth it for me but I still enjoy FM17 from time to time.

Yeah - I think that's where it was. It would been in 2003 when I went so that's some 16 years ago. My aunt was stationed there so I used to visit her every summer. 

• Subscriber

Won the 2. Liga title and got promoted to the Bundesliga in my first season. Money is tight so had to improvise a lot with the signings but I'm doing better than expected; 5th in the league currently despite having been tipped for relegation. 

20 hours ago, nudge said:

Won the 2. Liga title and got promoted to the Bundesliga in my first season. Money is tight so had to improvise a lot with the signings but I'm doing better than expected; 5th in the league currently despite having been tipped for relegation. 

Knew Glatzel would be great. 

• 5 months later...
  • Subscriber

Tried the demo of FM2020 but didn't like it enough to justify spending 50€ on it... so I'm back to FM17. Got a few data updates and custom databases and started a new save.

Nations/Leagues loaded:

• Austria (tipico Bundesliga; HPYBET 2. Liga)
  • Germany (1. Bundesliga; 2. Bundesliga; 3. Liga)
  • Switzerland (Raiffeisen Super League; Brack.ch Challenge League)

Started the game by taking charge of Linzer Athletik-Sport-Klub (LASK):

LASK-Linz-Wappen-Stripes1.jpg

Predicted to finish 10th (last) in the league.
No transfers (0€ transfer budget)

The only signing I made was this fella on a free transfer:

EGY6bUP.png

Current starting XI (mainly use this tactic or variation of it with a striker ufpront):

JxCbxqF.png

The bench:

gBOtZDq.png

Best young talent in the club:

jaunvpF.png

After 5 matches we're second in the league and progressed to the second round of the Cup. Good start so far but we'll be screwed when players inevitably start getting injured (Tetteh is already out for 3 weeks) as there's barely any depth in the squad.

QbWLHoH.png

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Dan said:

@nudge I'm still playing FM17, honestly, 4-3-1-2 feels almost like a cheat code to me as a formation xD I've just gotten Oxford straight from League Two to the Premier League in consecutive seasons.

Yeah that's the only negative thing about FM17 for me after years of playing; I also got the formation/tactics that seems to work every time; I think it (in my case a 5-2-3 with wing backs and shadow strikers) kind of exploits or overpowers the AI and match engine's weaknesses so I definitely understand when you say it feels like a cheat code xD 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

I tried FM2020 but I really can't be arsed figuring out the new stuff as I haven't played FM18 or FM19.

So I too retreated to FM17 and revived my old "Moneyball" save. There's a thread in here somewhere. I started Unemployed in Spain, took over Valladolid and lost in the playoffs, got sacked while languishing in mid-table the next season. Took over Vallecano, got promoted to La Liga at the end of my first full season with them, via the playoffs. In my second season in La Liga we managed to sneak the last European spot and get into the Europa League. Just before Christmas the following season I was approached by Roma and I took the job. This is where I've picked the save back up. We've been on an awesome run all season since I took over, were in with an outside chance of the title but a recent draw with Bologna and Napoli recovering their form leaves them 5 points ahead with 2 games gone. We are in the final of the Italian Cup against Torino though, and more importantly a 5-4 aggregate win in extra time over West Ham in the semi-finals of the Europa League have set up a second final for the end of the season where our opponents are Arsenal.

I should be bagging the first trophy of my career one way or another but at the bare minimum we appear to be secure in the top four and therefore into the Champions League for next season (if I can raise enough money not to fall foul of FFP which might actually be a challenge!). When I have time to get stuck into it I look forward to selling the 28-30 year old assets at the club and replacing them with younger players with a higher ceiling.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived