The better place to talk football.

Football Manager 2017 - General Chat

football forum

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, Toony said:

Must say though, just because people don't comment doesn't mean they aren't reading it, I read them all and don't leave a comment every time.

we don't know that xD 

I always read them, I've literally read every story on here. I never really feel the need to comment most times though. I will try to engage more in future.

I mean mine doesn't get any feedback really, but I do enjoy doing it. I do suppose people read it so I will continue to do so.

Let's not forget it's coming to the end of the 17 cycle. This is the sort of the wasteland period where everyone has played it to death and it's had it's time. This will be a really exciting section when 18 drops. People won't be halfway through/at the end of their saves this time around. I'd imagine saves like @R-D and @Storts would've been class stories from the beginning.

I'd suggest maybe making sub-forums for the different games so they don't all get bunched together.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Chaaay AFC said:

I always read them, I've literally read every story on here. I never really feel the need to comment most times though. I will try to engage more in future.

I mean mine doesn't get any feedback really, but I do enjoy doing it. I do suppose people read it so I will continue to do so.

Let's not forget it's coming to the end of the 17 cycle. This is the sort of the wasteland period where everyone has played it to death and it's had it's time. This will be a really exciting section when 18 drops. People won't be halfway through/at the end of their saves this time around. I'd imagine saves like @R-D and @Storts would've been class stories from the beginning.

I'd suggest maybe making sub-forums for the different games so they don't all get bunched together.

good point really. From end of Sept/start of Oct when the beta is released to when it usually gets released end of Oct through to end of the year hopefully this section will be busier than ever

I think the traffic this section has got should be seen as a big success considering the stage in the cycle we are at with FM. Especially with the current season ending and new signings coming in, football games like Fifa, PES and FM do sort of phase out at this point in the year and dont rejuvenate until the drop of the new titles.

As has been said I can see this section booming in November.

• Subscriber

I'm not sure it'll be massively different. My own save isn't really affected by which version it is or where we are in the annual cycle so it's unlikely I'll bother buying the new game. 

As for diaries, sometimes there's just nothing to comment. I read every one but often skim read the longer posts and I can't see why many people would read mine in full either given that I'm playing with clubs they don't know or care about and players that aren't in their own saves, I do enjoy writing it though and think it'll end up an interesting story looking back at it. 

Comments are a tough one because sometimes there's nothing to comment. I do when there's something worth saying though. 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

It was the same on the last game. I just hope there prediction of England's being terrible forevermore isn't accurate.

England is far from terrible, there's some great English players coming through, but they're always expensive.

34 minutes ago, Dan said:

England is far from terrible, there's some great English players coming through, but they're always expensive.

It may be because I always stick to one save but I can't remember the last time they built a team on one of my saves that looked capable of winning anything.

• Subscriber

England always seem to do bizarrely well on the international stage and in a very short time frame say within four years of the start of my saves. Found that with many versions of FM to be honest. 

• Subscriber

England on mine are still managed by Southgate xD our international performances are...

2018 World Cup - Knocked out in the round of 16 by Italy after coming 2nd in a group of Portugal, Mexico and New Zealand (strangely what Russia have in this years Confederations).

2020 Euros - Knocked out in the semis by France after topping a group of Germany, Austria and Kosovo (xD) and knocking out Switzerland and Denmark.

2022 World Cup - Knocked out in the round of 16 by Belgium after topping group of Switzerland, USA and Morocco with 9 points.

• Subscriber

I remember in one of my long saves on FM 2012 (I think) seeing Wales win a World Cup and be top of the FIFA rankings for a while. I don't know what background calculations and random number generating goes into these things but it's pretty retarded if it comes out with stuff like that. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I remember in one of my long saves on FM 2012 (I think) seeing Wales win a World Cup and be top of the FIFA rankings for a while. I don't know what background calculations and random number generating goes into these things but it's pretty retarded if it comes out with stuff like that. 

Some of the calculation is wrong for sure. Tottenham have been ranked as the most powerful club in England on my save for two years because they won the Champions League two years ago - despite Man Utd absolutely dominating the English game and doing far better in Europe since than Tottenham had. Although Man Utd have just won it themselves so I expect them to have finally overtaken them.

There are still some bugs on the game and to be honest I've reluctantly accepted there probably always will be - although I don't get how the same interview can produce a question about being in both good and bad form at the same time.

I do think they need to work on the computers AI somewhat as well. I don't think it's quite as bad as it used to be but why do clubs like Barcelona not go for the creme de la creme? They regularly sign pretty mediocre players that I would think twice about signing if I was at Leicester.

And on another random note, why the hell are Norwich City so good in every single years edition no matter who they sign? They've always got really average squads yet they always seem to be on the verge of qualifying for Europe.

• Subscriber

Interesting shout by @RandoEFC regarding us kind of doing something together on it. I think a net game would be impossible. They're great for the short time they get going but I've only ever seen us play through one properly once. Was about eight of us back in the good old days of FM10 who used to all stay up until silly o clock playing it. We actually got through a whole season.

On an old forum we used to do challenge saves. Could be a possible idea. I remember the first challenge being Porto xD think it's the easiest season I have ever played. I got 78 points from the 30 games.

• Subscriber

So before I continue my new diary, I'm interested in what people think makes a diary worth reading?

I'm not sure people are that arsed reading through every result like I was doing in my last one so I'm thinking of just updating every eight games or so with a screenshot of a news story from my inbox, a table and the recent fixtures, with a short, third person commentary to go with it?

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

So before I continue my new diary, I'm interested in what people think makes a diary worth reading?

I'm not sure people are that arsed reading through every result like I was doing in my last one so I'm thinking of just updating every eight games or so with a screenshot of a news story from my inbox, a table and the recent fixtures, with a short, third person commentary to go with it?

monthly reports, latest tables, form guides, any interesting snippets, mock newspaper headlines/articles (not always as these can take time to create entertaining stuff)

I'll be honest if you've written a paragraph for each game you've played in a season I won't read, just too much effort.

I generally prefer reading about what's happened over a 5-10 game period, top goalscorers, any rivalries or dodgy games, transfers made etc and any formation changes and how they've worked.

• Subscriber
17 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I usually have three updates a season. Summer, November international break and March international break (which for some reason is always 3 weeks on my game).

I like posting all the results but it does get a bit cluttered too. Definitely think I need to look at doing what @R-D has done in the past as regards to having hyperlinks to each player.

• Subscriber
Just now, Chaaay AFC said:

Anyone else think pens are genuinely useless in FM17? I must of had about 10 so far and scored no more then 2 of them. xD

Mine tend to be fairly successful though when it's one of those games when you're on a 7 match winning streak but your entire team is playing nervously for no reason and it's 1-1 and you get an 89th minute penalty, I would put my house on my penalty taker missing because they always do.

• The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was pinned

Archived