talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Serge Gnabry joins Bayern Munich

• Subscriber

It's a weird deal, all in all. At first there were talks that Bayern have bought him and loaned him out to us directly, then there were talks of Werder buying him but putting a clause in his contract so he could join Bayern for a fixed amount of money, then they said there's a generic 8 million buyout clause for any club, and now they are saying there is no buyout clause at all xD I'm completely confused. Just yesterday Gnabry said that he feels at home in Bremen though.

RB are apparently interested in him now as well, and they might use Selke in a sort of exchange deal. Hope not.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/28/2017 at 4:42 AM, 6666 said:

I say this everytime but still can't believe we didn't give him more of a chance. That loan to West Brom fucked everything up because Tony Pulis didn't know what the fuck to do with him. Surprising thing was the fact more teams didn't come in for him especially after his performances at the Olympics. There was Bayern Munich and Werder Bremen being mentioned with no one in between. At £5m as well, was a bargain then and looks like theft now.

Clubs with young, technical players should be wary to send players off to Pulis ever again. The same happened to Alex Pritchard from Spurs. Had a tremendous season with Brentford in the Championship, earned a new contract at Spurs and direct praise from Poch, then goes off to Pulis, and goes down the toilet of English football. He's clueless with such players, utterly clueless. Just because it's a Prem loan means sweet fuck all. Would rather send players off to Scotland than him. 

• Subscriber

So Hoffenheim are apparently close to agreeing personal terms with Gnabry, he will probably leave for around 10 million according to media reports. 

Danke für die Tore und Tschüß.

• Subscriber
Just now, Tsubasa said:

He has been so useless for Gladbach this season. 

So was Kruse for Wolfsburg last season :P 

At any case, I'm not particularly excited about Hahn either, I think his technique is way too poor for the kind of football we've been trying to play lately, and he wouldn't come for less than 3-4 million I think.

He's also not the most intelligent player. When he came on for Gladbach this season, he usually ran around like a headless chicken and committed 2-3 silly fouls. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Done deal.

serge.jpg?itok=MSSP2cB3

Hoffenheim have completed the signing of former Arsenal winger Serge Gnabry from Werder Bremen.

As talkSPORT told you in April, the Bundesliga club were in talks about a deal for the 21-year-old, who left Arsenalin a £5m deal last August.

And now, according to Sport Bild, Hoffenheim have agreed the terms on a permanent transfer which will be officially confirmed in the next few days.

The Germany international impressed during his first season back in the country, scoring 11 goals in 27 Bundesliga outings.

That form had even led to links with Bayern Munich but it appears that Hoffenheim have won the race to sign him.

Read more at https://talksport.com/football/done-deal-former-arsenal-starlet-serge-gnabry-signs-hoffenheim-170607242098#fduwTWf4Fq1DxsFC.99

• Subscriber

To be fair, it looks like the deal is as good as done.

The most interesting part of the story is the reports that Werder allegedly have a successor and want to present him as soon as Gnabry's deal is officially confirmed.

• Subscriber

It's official, Serge Gnabry will leave Werder at the end of this month. His destination is undisclosed yet, rumoured to be either Hoffenheim or Bayern, reported transfer fee 8-10m. Finally it's over.

Not exactly a great return is it? I've also read somewhere that Kruse can leave for about 12m...be fucking daft to let two of your best players to fuck off for 20m or less.

• Subscriber

It's daft to agree to put such buyout clauses into player contracts anyway, always hated it. Kruse intends to stay though.

I think half a season of good performances got into Gnabry's head a bit; at the end of the season he didn't look like he was giving his all on the pitch and his selfish actions often led to lost balls in midfield and dangerous counterattacks and conceded goals, thus he was benched for a while and we did well without him; I don't think he took it well. He's a very talented player, but he is still developing, and I think in the end it will turn out to be a wrong decision for him, especially if it's Bayern he's joining, way too early for that and I think he'd end up on the bench or not even in the squad just like at Arsenal. 

For us, it's definitely a loss of quality, no doubt about that. I do have high hopes for Florian Kainz to step up and impress as the creative force in our midfield next season though.

23 minutes ago, FOYM said:

Not exactly a great return is it? I've also read somewhere that Kruse can leave for about 12m...be fucking daft to let two of your best players to fuck off for 20m or less.

Welcome to German football. Where players mostly are sold for what they're worth or less if they want to leave. You can't ask for 20 mil for shit cunts like Adam Johnson or 30 year old Peter Crouch.

• Subscriber

Yet Freiburg get 20m for Philipp.

Anyway, we've always been a bit shite at getting the most out of the transfers of our best players. Özil for 18m, Klose for 15m, Pizarro for 8m, Sokratis for 9m is ridiculous. Even Diego at his prime should really have gotten us more than 25m.

• Subscriber

I'm not sure about the bonuses, but I know we barely got 15-18m transfer fee when he moved to Real and then 0.5m as the sell on fee when he joined Arsenal, I can't imagine we got additional 8-10m from bonuses? Even if we did, that means the payments were spread out and it wasn't invested in the squad anyway...

EDIT: after doing a bit of research, it seems we got 15.5m transfer fee + 1.5m bonus + 0.5m sell on fee

• Subscriber

Bad decision, I don't think he'll get much playing time at Bayern, definitely hasn't learned from his time at Arsenal... I would have understood if he moved to Hoffenheim, but Bayern? Way too early. 

Archived