talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Champions League final in New York?

football forum

The Champions League final could be held outside of Europe for the first time after claims that UEFA had opened talks to stage the competition’s showpiece in New York City.

Jaumes Roures, chief executive of Barcelona-based television company Mediapro, says talks have opened to hold the final in north America in 2021.

‘Talks are ongoing investigating the feasibility of hosting a future Champions League final in New York City,’ Roures told Catalunya Radio’s ‘El Mati’ show.

Though a decision is yet to be made, it follows a controversial plan from La Liga to hold one league match a year in north America.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2018/09/12/champions-league-final-could-be-held-in-new-york-city-after-controversial-talks-7937633/amp/

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell the American plastics to follow their own Champions League.

I remember when Montreal Impact reach the CONCACAF CL final a few years ago, nobody in Toronto knew about it, even though they were the first Canadian side to reach the final. Fucking embarrassing.

Just now, Cicero said:

Not the greatest of sources to be fair. 

Metro or Jaume (not Jaumes like in the article) Roures?

I can assure you that Jaume Roures is very much in the know and one of the most powerful football media men on the planet.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Metro or Jaume (not Jaumes like in the article) Roures?

I can assure you that Jaume Roures is very much in the know and one of the most powerful football media men on the planet.

Metro. No idea who Roures is. 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Metro. No idea who Roures is. 

Jaume Roures is a very powerful individual in European football where media coverage and licences are in question mate.  Metro on the other hand can be questioned but their ratings have been getting better over the years.  The thing we have here though isn't Metro but whether that's a direct quote from Jaume Roures which is the important factor here.

It's ridiculous as it's a betrayal to what the competition actually is and I don't think it'd even do what they want it to do as the only Americans that'd be most interested in this will be those already interested in football. All the new eyes it draws in will probably forget about it a week or two later. It's similar to how they have an NFL game in England. People not familiar with the sport might take an interest in that one specific game but that's about it.

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Jaume Roures is a very powerful individual in European football where media coverage and licences are in question mate.  Metro on the other hand can be questioned but their ratings have been getting better over the years.  The thing we have here though isn't Metro but whether that's a direct quote from Jaume Roures which is the important factor here.

Ah Ok. Regardless, it's an asinine decision. Much like hosting Asian nations in the Copa America. Defeats the whole purpose of the competition. 

Just seen Marca reporting it now. 

At present the Champions League final is infamous for being one of the most poorly organised events on the planet. Fans have to take trains, planes and automobiles through random and wacky routes just to get to a city without sufficient and affordable hotel capacity. What's going to happen if it goes to New York? People getting on container ships?

9 minutes ago, Danny said:

I hope fans protest, enough of this shit already.

What are the indigenous fans gonna gain in their lowest importance of football's history?  Home fans only add home atmosphere where football has gone down the route of globalisation mate.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Blue said:

Tell the American plastics to follow their own Champions League.

I remember when Montreal Impact reach the CONCACAF CL final a few years ago, nobody in Toronto knew about it, even though they were the first Canadian side to reach the final. Fucking embarrassing.

I mean I agree with most things going on here but why would people in Toronto give two shits about how Montreal is doing? They are rival sporting cities. I mean i heard about it hear but thats because im a nerd and listen to sports talk radio most of my work day, which naturally this comes up durring. To be honest Toronto media doesnt give two shits about what most of Canada is doing outside of Toronto.

52 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I mean I agree with most things going on here but why would people in Toronto give two shits about how Montreal is doing? They are rival sporting cities. I mean i heard about it hear but thats because im a nerd and listen to sports talk radio most of my work day, which naturally this comes up durring. To be honest Toronto media doesnt give two shits about what most of Canada is doing outside of Toronto.

In Toronto there is only one Canadian hockey team and that is the Leafs. Qui sont les habitants? 

Expecting les Quebecois to support Toronto in the MLS is like expecting someone living in Vancouver to support the Toronto Raptors, when the closest team in is actually in America.

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Spike said:

In Toronto there is only one Canadian hockey team and that is the Leafs. Qui sont les habitants? 

Expecting les Quebecois to support Toronto in the MLS is like expecting someone living in Vancouver to support the Toronto Raptors, when the closest team in is actually in America.

Exactly. The convo actually comes up here often about the Blue Jays; every year they do a 3 or 4 game stint in Seattle. Seattle is a 2 and a half hour drive from here why should I be forced to care about the Blue Jays who are a how many hour flight away just because their Canadian? 

I'm surprised that after George Best, Bobby Moore, Pele, USA '94, David Beckham etc. all failed to get Americans more behind soccer that they're still persevering with America. You'd think they'd be after the Arab money. 

The competitions become a bit of a farce anyway so it wouldn't concern me if the final was held off this continent.

21 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

I know what you mean and you're right - but I'm saying it from a patriotic point of view. Montreal Impact was the first Canadian team to ever reach the CONCACAF CL and just for that milestone I expected a few more people to know about it.

Hockey is much more powerful than football in Canada, so it shouldn't surprise me but often weaker football nations become patriotic in champions leagues that they don't dominate. Take Peru for example. I think they would perhaps care a bit more if Canada was a more football mad nation.

To be fair I and many English football fans were brought up to support English clubs in European competitions. It's a bit old fashioned now that UEFA competitions are overdone, but originally teams were representing the country they were from in a football league sense. You will see with most English clubs in Europe that on away games the fans will display England flags with the club name or a local area printed on it. Probably less now with the pretentious decline in national team support by fans of spoilt domestic clubs.

1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

You will see with most English clubs in Europe that on away games the fans will display England flags with the club name or a local area printed on it

You see this with a select number of Spanish football clubs like the two Madrid clubs and various other clubs from the south of Spain when playing in Europe. In Spain those people tend to be looked upon as very right-wing with probable fascist tendencies. Patriotism has its place in Spanish culture and if you overdo it in areas it doesn't belong like club football, then you're viewed with suspicious eyes.

Archived