talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Champions League final in New York?

football forum

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Blue said:

I know what you mean and you're right - but I'm saying it from a patriotic point of view. Montreal Impact was the first Canadian team to ever reach the CONCACAF CL and just for that milestone I expected a few more people to know about it.

Hockey is much more powerful than football in Canada, so it shouldn't surprise me but often weaker football nations become patriotic in champions leagues that they don't dominate. Take Peru for example. I think they would perhaps care a bit more if Canada was a more football mad nation.

Yeah I know what your'e saying you would tend to think It would be bigger news then it turned out to be elsewhere. We refer to Toronto as the center of the universe when it comes to sporting news here and it isnt entirely hyperbole.

Thats probably exactly where it comes from; the hockey culture. When we had our big run here in 2012 we where one of the most hated teams around the league, I vaguely remember news outlets taking polls that something like 60-70% of Canadians in other markets wanted Boston to beat us. Kind of a strange way of thinking from the outside maybe? but If Toronto makes a cup run anytime soon I think hell would freeze over before I cheered for them :what:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this to help build excitement towards world cup 2026?

Otherwise i can't understand it. USA is a saturated sports market with a declining revenue potential in world terms whilst the likes of China and India are on the rise with sports markets  that are ripe with opportunity... 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Is this to help build excitement towards world cup 2026?

Otherwise i can't understand it. USA is a saturated sports market with a declining revenue potential in world terms whilst the likes of China and India are on the rise with sports markets  that are ripe with opportunity... 

It's mainly to do with the fact the US market affects every market on the planet and you kill two birds with one stone.  The Asian markets don't really affect the western markets in the same fashion. The influence comes from the States and if you conquer that, then it's all so much easier.

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

It's mainly to do with the fact the US market affects every market on the planet and you kill two birds with one stone.  The Asian markets don't really affect the western markets in the same fashion. The influence comes from the States and if you conquer that, then it's all so much easier.

What western markets beyond the US itself would be looking for further boosting off the US' coat tails?

Australia and NZ take their lead from the UK much more than the US. Europe is already saturated with football. Who does it leave? 

13 hours ago, SirBalon said:

You see this with a select number of Spanish football clubs like the two Madrid clubs and various other clubs from the south of Spain when playing in Europe. In Spain those people tend to be looked upon as very right-wing with probable fascist tendencies. Patriotism has its place in Spanish culture and if you overdo it in areas it doesn't belong like club football, then you're viewed with suspicious eyes.

It's easy to spot them in England because they are weirdos who "support" Rangers and always sing No Surrender 

9 minutes ago, Danny said:

It's easy to spot them in England because they are weirdos who "support" Rangers and always sing No Surrender 

We've got to be careful with tarring everyone with the same brush because there are people in any walk of life that when displaying patriotism their intentions are totally clean with no connotations to any historical sense of dominance or a separatist exclusive (exclusive as in the opposite of inclusive) mindset.

The thing is that you have to be very innocent and almost blind not to know and comprehend that unfortunately a large proportion of those people that publicise patriotism are those with everything negative and xenophobic you could ever imagine... This and much much more.  Never in a million years would I ever feel that taking a national flag to a club football game (especially in a European competition game) is something apt.

25 minutes ago, Spike said:

Camila Cabello would get Spiked. If you catch my drift. Same with Ana de Armas, fucking Cubans bro, fucking Cubans.

Born in Cuba but with full on Galician heritage and brought up in Spain... Her debut in the movie and tv industry is also based in Spain with a Spanish husband.  Where you're born is negligent sometimes, :ph34r:

But talking seriously... She is AMAZING!!! :x

9 hours ago, SirBalon said:

We've got to be careful with tarring everyone with the same brush because there are people in any walk of life that when displaying patriotism their intentions are totally clean with no connotations to any historical sense of dominance or a separatist exclusive (exclusive as in the opposite of inclusive) mindset.

The thing is that you have to be very innocent and almost blind not to know and comprehend that unfortunately a large proportion of those people that publicise patriotism are those with everything negative and xenophobic you could ever imagine... This and much much more.  Never in a million years would I ever feel that taking a national flag to a club football game (especially in a European competition game) is something apt.

Don't get me wrong nothing wrong with having an England flag on show for example, I was just referring to people from London or Birmingham for example who follow their team and then Rangers and spend their days singing anti IRA songs and very pro British/Loyalist songs. Just a very weird level of patriotism, especially when they come from a country that has never been oppressed. Their intentions are even more questionable then.

Personally I think describing yourself as a patriot is something for Americans, it seems to be a casual occurrence over there whereas I think in Britain that level of passion specifically for your country is generally looked at as a bit weird.

Archived