• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sergio Busquets - The Invention of the Decade

football forum

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

What stands Busquets apart for a man of his role is that he not only does the dirty work and create spaces for other more "technical" players, but he is one himself. Very intelligent, eye for a pass, can sense what's going on around him and what to do next, is an organiser and very technical on the ball too. When you look at him you see a lanky, sort of gormless looking fella, but then you watch him play and he has that touch of brilliance that smaller players such as the Xavis and Iniestas have, albeit obviously having a different role in the side and being a different type of player.

I wouldn't say he was necessarily underrated anymore though as every football fan(who knows the sport) can acknowledge his brilliance now it appears. Even @StefBWFC is a big fan of Busquets nowadays(well atleast his ability) and when you consider his(Stef's) view on him 10 years ago and the fact he is very stubborn in his opinion(similar to me in that regard to be honest), that speaks volumes.

He's one of very few Barcelona players (alongside Rakitic) who I actively appreciate. He's a fucking fridge in the middle, and has spearheaded the move away from Barca's inane tippytap yawnfest by being able to spray fit balls across the pitch to that obscene strikeforce. Top lad, our Sergio.

22 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

He's one of very few Barcelona players (alongside Rakitic) who I actively appreciate. He's a fucking fridge in the middle, and has spearheaded the move away from Barca's inane tippytap yawnfest by being able to spray fit balls across the pitch to that obscene strikeforce. Top lad, our Sergio.

The Allardyce years have ruined you mate.

Every other post is 'underrated this, underrated that'. Like hell, he is universally adored by the football community. He is exactly rated because he deserves all the plaudits he receives, and the people that claim he is 'underrated' make him 'overrated'.

Bloody hell, this is like when Andrea Pirlo was 'underrated' when he played for Juventus but everyone was fawning over him. It's like one lemming says 'underrated' about a universally acclaimed player and groupthink takes over. I bet if I spammed that 'Aguero is underrated' on a huge platform like reddit, within a few months people on here would be claiming that as well.

I think Saul Niguez made a good point in an interview I read. He said something like "you know without looking whether to turn or pass it back just by how Busquets passes the ball to you".

I don't think Busquets is underrated by anyone except 13 year-old Kuwaiti Man U fans on twitter, but it is true that even when you think he's amazing, it's hard to understand everything about what he does on a pitch. That's because his decision making isn't just about taking in his own options, but actually even making the decision for the next man, reading how the opposition is going to react, and understanding how the play needs to build several passes in advance. 

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Every other post is 'underrated this, underrated that'. Like hell, he is universally adored by the football community. He is exactly rated because he deserves all the plaudits he receives, and the people that claim he is 'underrated' make him 'overrated'.

Bloody hell, this is like when Andrea Pirlo was 'underrated' when he played for Juventus but everyone was fawning over him. It's like one lemming says 'underrated' about a universally acclaimed player and groupthink takes over. I bet if I spammed that 'Aguero is underrated' on a huge platform like reddit, within a few months people on here would be claiming that as well.

He's more appreciated now than he was even only 3 or 4 years ago mate and that's understandable like I said in a previous post considering all those players in his team that score goals etc...

For me the underrated part comes from the treatment by the football awards and the fact he's never made the top 3 of any ever.

8 hours ago, SirBalon said:

He's more appreciated now than he was even only 3 or 4 years ago mate and that's understandable like I said in a previous post considering all those players in his team that score goals etc...

For me the underrated part comes from the treatment by the football awards and the fact he's never made the top 3 of any ever.

Football awards are stupid 

9 minutes ago, Spike said:

Football awards are stupid 

Trust me, I agree with you but unfortunately they've become a form of recognition that maybe in 50 years time football fans will look upon for info while participating in a forum or a general football debate in a pub with mates.  Do you get where I'm going with this already?

I mean... When I debate football and footballer's already in here I find it difficult for people to have analysed past greats where they think football started in 1992.

8 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Trust me, I agree with you but unfortunately they've become a form of recognition that maybe in 50 years time football fans will look upon for info while participating in a forum or a general football debate in a pub with mates.  Do you get where I'm going with this already?

I mean... When I debate football and footballer's already in here I find it difficult for people to have analysed past greats where they think football started in 1992.

Never trust someone who bangs on about how good the likes of Best, Charlton, Di Stefano etc were if they were born in the 90s say and their opinion comes from other players/fans/pundits and limited YouTube footage.

No idea if you were making a similar point but it's a point that annoys me.

3 hours ago, Danny said:

Never trust someone who bangs on about how good the likes of Best, Charlton, Di Stefano etc were if they were born in the 90s say and their opinion comes from other players/fans/pundits and limited YouTube footage.

No idea if you were making a similar point but it's a point that annoys me.

Well, Maradona for example never won any of these awards and most people know his worth.  Maybe that one is down to all the footage you want being available as it wasn't all that long ago in relative terms.

On the other hand Cruyff footage is there, but a lot of it is more difficult to get hold of, but it's recent enough for so many people and when everyone from around them is telling you the guy was the best player in the world at the time, then the majority win.

Pelé is much much more difficult in my opinion because a lot of it is down to stats, dubious statistics (some of them) in my view with a lot of the footage practically impossible to get although with some of the footage available we can see that he looked to be well ahead of his time with some of his moves.

I've started and stopped with those three for a reason mate and that reason is that it's generally accepted by all even those that were born in the 2000s that those three are in the halls of fame right at the top of any list anyone could make.  Everyone just accepts it... Weird, isn't it?

People try to state that Lionel Messi is the greatest of all time and yet there is enough resistance generated for it to be disputable and debatable.  I find that to be the oddest thing ever when talking football with people a lot younger than me.  You then talk about lists (us men love to do top 10 lists on anything don't we xD) and their opinion on a top 10 and they'll come out with; ""Oh, but only those players I've actually witnessed can be on the list from my part, OK?"

What?!?

Hmmmm.... NO!... Wait, hold on a minute... We were just debating a second ago if Messi was possibly the greatest of all time and you guys said that even though you hadn't witnessed Maradona, Pelé or Cruyff that it was a debate to be had and you can't just do that.

Really?

Yes, really!

That's my issue mate because even the youngest of people that are properly into their football know these things but yet there's this odd magnetic field that at times goes into motion and their minds get blocked and contradict the faith they previously had.

For me it's like when push comes to shove, most young people won't totally state that God doesn't exist cease it confuses them (understandably so) but yet attendances at churches are at their lowest in history.  Blind faith is dying but curiously the human being has a strange nature about him/her in that they always leave the uncertainty space in their mind closed with a key so it continues to stay uncertain and possibly true! ;)

On 14/09/2018 at 15:48, SirBalon said:

I've got to say that I don't know what Chris is upto...  Must be on one of his big ganja sessions! xD;)

But this thread needs a serious @The Rebel CRS input aswell as our long lost Greco @Fusion who is Busi's blood brother. 

Yeah mate, blood brother.....xD

To be honest, I didn't liked him years ago because I was judging him too much on what he was doing with the diving festival events per game and all that stuff. However in last years, I started admiring him on what he does on the pitch, he has been one of the best players on his position/role, if not the best. A player that you knew, in a season, he would be one of the top performers of the team.

That being said, I think he is still a perfect replacement for Fellaini.:ph34r:

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 22:07, Spike said:

Whoever said that is a moron. Pirlo was world class at Milan for years before he ever went to Juve. At that point it was a world class player moving to a very strong club.

On 28 September 2018 at 20:21, Dr. Gonzo said:

Whoever said that is a moron. Pirlo was world class at Milan for years before he ever went to Juve. At that point it was a world class player moving to a very strong club.

If I remember rightly Ancelotti didn't trust Pirlo all that much and there were criticisms being thrown at the midfielder for his lack of dynamism. I'm not 100% sure right now and I'd have to recall through a few mates I have on all of this that followed the situation at the time but I remember having the debate.

I know it's probably controversial but I've never had any sensation that Andrea Pirlo was ever underrated, quite the opposite in my opinion. If the game was played at his pace and he had two midfielders covering his terrible positional recovery, then his passing talents were absolutely amazing, but he was never a dynamic player and what's for sure from my point of view is that to get the best out of Pirlo a team had to be conditioned to his medifield mechanisms, the positive and the negative which didn't seem to get too much limelight to be honest.

Sergio Busquets has signed a new five-year deal with Barcelona, committing himself to the La Liga side until June 2023.

The new contract also sees Busquets' buyout clause rise from €200m to €500m.

Busquets - who will be 34 by the time his latest contract expires - has played nearly 500 games for Barcelona in 11 seasons with the club.

He is Barcelona's vice-captain, and has won seven La Ligas, three Champions Leagues and six Copa del Reys during his time at the Nou Camp.

Busquets has also earned 107 caps for Spain and has won the World Cup and the European Championships with his country.

5 hours ago, SirBalon said:

If I remember rightly Ancelotti didn't trust Pirlo all that much and there were criticisms being thrown at the midfielder for his lack of dynamism. I'm not 100% sure right now and I'd have to recall through a few mates I have on all of this that followed the situation at the time but I remember having the debate.

I know it's probably controversial but I've never had any sensation that Andrea Pirlo was ever underrated, quite the opposite in my opinion. If the game was played at his pace and he had two midfielders covering his terrible positional recovery, then his passing talents were absolutely amazing, but he was never a dynamic player and what's for sure from my point of view is that to get the best out of Pirlo a team had to be conditioned to his medifield mechanisms, the positive and the negative which didn't seem to get too much limelight to be honest.

Ancelotti signed him from Inter, where he was a failing attacking midfielder. He trusted him so much he shifted Pirlo into a deeper role.

Ancelotti made Pirlo the player he became. And I think without Ancelotti making Pirlo the heart of his Xmas tree formation at Inter, I don’t think you have players like Xabi Alonso or that dickhead this post is about. So I’ll not have you call Pirlo overrated.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Ancelotti signed him from Inter, where he was a failing attacking midfielder. He trusted him so much he shifted Pirlo into a deeper role.

Ancelotti made Pirlo the player he became. And I think without Ancelotti making Pirlo the heart of his Xmas tree formation at Inter, I don’t think you have players like Xabi Alonso or that dickhead this post is about. So I’ll not have you call Pirlo overrated.

I don’t understand how you ended that mate and maybe I’ve misinterpreted it. Are you saying that without Pirlo we wouldn’t have had Xabi Alonso or Busquets playing in that position?

Pirlo was meant to be a playmaker further forward but wasn’t dynamic enough which is why he was moved further back. But because he was terrible at positional recovery, he had to have midfielders dedicated to watching his back.

Don’t get me wrong... I loved Pirlo and his passing was amazing as I already said. But he was very hyped up, too hyped up. 

36 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I don’t understand how you ended that mate and maybe I’ve misinterpreted it. Are you saying that without Pirlo we wouldn’t have had Xabi Alonso or Busquets playing in that position?

Pirlo was meant to be a playmaker further forward but wasn’t dynamic enough which is why he was moved further back. But because he was terrible at positional recovery, he had to have midfielders dedicated to watching his back.

Don’t get me wrong... I loved Pirlo and his passing was amazing as I already said. But he was very hyped up, too hyped up. 

Pirlo made deep lying playmakers fashionable in modern football. When Pirlo was shifted into that role in 2001 at Milan he was a revelation and Ancelotti was hailed as a genius. Their influence to modern football for that position shouldn’t be understated. And Pirlo might not have been as complete as Alonso or Busquets, and he needed players like Gattuso to do the dirty work for him - but he was the best playmaker of the 3 imo. Easily one of the most important players of a generation.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Pirlo made deep lying playmakers fashionable in modern football. When Pirlo was shifted into that role in 2001 at Milan he was a revelation and Ancelotti was hailed as a genius. Their influence to modern football for that position shouldn’t be understated. And Pirlo might not have been as complete as Alonso or Busquets, and he needed players like Gattuso to do the dirty work for him - but he was the best playmaker of the 3 imo. Easily one of the most important players of a generation.

I love you!

What was you wearing last night??? :x

• 3 weeks later...

Archived