talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsène Wenger

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Imagine. Would he be rated higher than Mourinho? 

Unless we give extreme importance to the FA Cups in recent years and ignore everything else that's self evident, then we would probably be in a whole different position now which in my personal opinion would've been improvement.

But, and it's an important but!

The problem is that he was given continuance by the club because he complied with what the club felt they required during that period so even if we had gotten rid of him, maybe nobody else would've been given what was required to take us into a new era.  It doesn't matter though because what's done is done but even then he wouldn't have been on a higher plain that Mourinho even if Wenger's brand of football (as a philosophy) was definitely more aesthetic, but in my view on a higher level.

Mourinho done what it's ultimately all about which is to win this continent's biggest club football prize which is the Champions League.

What's for sure though is that he would never have recieved all the animosity from his home fans, the questioning and demeaning the football media and press gave him in his final years and the unthinkable questioning regarding his status as a football philosopher which nobody would ever have thought possible 7 or 8 years ago.

History tells no lies!  Who was it who said... "You're only as good as your last game"?

I think every manager loses their touch at some point. No one can keep winning forever as they will be found out (run out of ideas) at one point and some lose it quicker than the other. I have a feeling that Ferguson left at the right moment and dont know if he would have kept winning if he was still managing United today. I still credit his last league win to the opponents shooting in their foot than United winning it by themselves. If I remember correctly all the top teams had new managers and Arsenal lost van persie. 

Wenger lost his touch few years ago and I believe now its the time for Mourinho, I dont think he can win anything big anymore. 

10 hours ago, Cicero said:

Imagine if Wenger stepped down after 2005 

The job he did in the period we were selling our top players and weren't spending significant money to replace them but still making top 4 is extremely underrated and proof of very good management. Most other managers wouldn't even take that job on.

14 minutes ago, 6666 said:

The job he did in the period we weren't spending significant money but still making top 4 is extremely underrated and proof of very good management. Most other managers wouldn't even take that job on.

I agree... It's evident that the directive and direction the club took for years meant that no manager/coach could take the team forward in relation to competing for top honours. This is now known!  But in the final 5 to 6 years it was down to him so as to continue with his obsession with wanting to prove a point when he could've moved aside.  He did always say Arsenal mattered to him!  He ended up dragging us back and causing a big problem, the one we now have.

I think the period Arsenal sold every top class player they had but yet still managed to stay even semi competitive was brilliant management.

Imagine Mourinho or any other manager that gets everything handed to them on a plate in that situation. Selling great players with no money to replace them whilst a stadium is built!

Wenger is massively underrated in my opinion, only his dodgy few years (when he won the FA Cup for fun no less) was his the time his stock fell. 

Let's see how things go now he's gone. Let's see if the new manager can get Arsenal winning the league and Champions League. Let's see if he can bag numerous FA Cup' s. Let's see if he finishes getting sacked, winning nothing, whilst floundering around scrambling for 6th?

It certainly will be interesting to see how everything pans out!

23 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I think the period Arsenal sold every top class player they had but yet still managed to stay even semi competitive was brilliant management.

Imagine Mourinho or any other manager that gets everything handed to them on a plate in that situation. Selling great players with no money to replace them whilst a stadium is built!

Wenger is massively underrated in my opinion, only his dodgy few years (when he won the FA Cup for fun no less) was his the time his stock fell. 

Let's see how things go now he's gone. Let's see if the new manager can get Arsenal winning the league and Champions League. Let's see if he can bag numerous FA Cup' s. Let's see if he finishes getting sacked, winning nothing, whilst floundering around scrambling for 6th?

It certainly will be interesting to see how everything pans out!

Your first paragraph on Wenger is fair enough as an opinion but the weight you’ve inadvertently put on the current new manager is ridiculous.

Unai Emery has found a totally unbalanced squad full of overpaid players. A club that stopped being ambitious years ago. And yet you don’t ask for the same as Wenger was achieving which was to QUALIFY for participation in the Champions League but actually with a worse situation you are asking us to win it?  To win the Premier League too?

That is the sort of under the table comment that sometimes goes unregistered so as to blow everything out of proportion which is the accusation thrown at those that argue the opposite on Wenger. 

Comments from people with the opposite agenda (this not aimed at you) are just as ridiculous because Wenger died down more than just anfew years ago and hey... We HAD money! That’s a story you choose to believe. It’s just that Wenger accepted the direction that was suggested with the qualifications for Champions Leagues which was plenty to give off a bullshit scenario.

We aren’t Spurs! Read that last bit on what we aren’t how you will mate.

53 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Your first paragraph on Wenger is fair enough as an opinion but the weight you’ve inadvertently put on the current new manager is ridiculous.

Unai Emery has found a totally unbalanced squad full of overpaid players. A club that stopped being ambitious years ago. And yet you don’t ask for the same as Wenger was achieving which was to QUALIFY for participation in the Champions League but actually with a worse situation you are asking us to win it?  To win the Premier League too?

That is the sort of under the table comment that sometimes goes unregistered so as to blow everything out of proportion which is the accusation thrown at those that argue the opposite on Wenger. 

Comments from people with the opposite agenda (this not aimed at you) are just as ridiculous because Wenger died down more than just anfew years ago and hey... We HAD money! That’s a story you choose to believe. It’s just that Wenger accepted the direction that was suggested with the qualifications for Champions Leagues which was plenty to give off a bullshit scenario.

We aren’t Spurs! Read that last bit on what we aren’t how you will mate.

I didn't comment on how the new manager would do, I just threw in some scenarios of how he 'could do'!

Let's just see how Emery is doing after say, 3 years. That should be plenty of time to get Arsenal back on top or at least challenging/being competitive. 

26 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I didn't comment on how the new manager would do, I just threw in some scenarios of how he 'could do'!

Let's just see how Emery is doing after say, 3 years. That should be plenty of time to get Arsenal back on top or at least challenging/being competitive. 

He won’t get three years now mate. If he doesn’t improve our last two seasons drastically he’ll be sacked! He won’t get the same treatment as Wenger when he was drowning us. 

3 hours ago, 6666 said:

The job he did in the period we were selling our top players and weren't spending significant money to replace them but still making top 4 is extremely underrated and proof of very good management. Most other managers wouldn't even take that job on.

True but there was a time pre man city when 4th place was the lowest and worst case scenario for Liverpool and arsenal. It would be harder to repeat that feat in this current era of EPL riches and with 6 very strong clubs. 

11 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

He won’t get three years now mate. If he doesn’t improve our last two seasons drastically he’ll be sacked! He won’t get the same treatment as Wenger when he was drowning us. 

Well I'm just glad Klopp (who arguably walked into a worse state at Liverpool than Arsenals current one) didn't get the sack without being given a little time to sort things out. 

19 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Well I'm just glad Klopp (who arguably walked into a worse state at Liverpool than Arsenals current one) didn't get the sack without being given a little time to sort things out. 

The thing is that Klopp has had serious investment in the recruitment of players while also selling mediocrity. We can’t invest heavily unless we sell and another issue we have in terms of selling is that our players are on extremely high wages by comparison to their net worth on the transfer market and which kind of clubs would require that type of player.

Remember that it was Wenger himself (he was a manager not a head coach) was responsible and in charge of who to renew and how much. 

17 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The thing is that Klopp has had serious investment in the recruitment of players while also selling mediocrity. We can’t invest heavily unless we sell and another issue we have in terms of selling is that our players are on extremely high wages by comparison to their net worth on the transfer market and which kind of clubs would require that type of player.

Remember that it was Wenger himself (he was a manager not a head coach) was responsible and in charge of who to renew and how much. 

Until this summer Klopp made a profit in every single window since he's been here. So yeah, he had to sell to buy also.. 

27 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Until this summer Klopp made a profit in every single window since he's been here. So yeah, he had to sell to buy also.. 

You sold very well, they weren’t extremely high earners and their appeal to other clubs was in accordance with what they could offer and match. 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Arsenal sort out their defence and they are good. Top 4 will be more challenging than ever. 

Right now I would say that having Emery implement how he wants his players to perform is what we’re waiting to see. From there on we can make a clearer picture of what’s required. 

21 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

You sold very well, they weren’t extremely high earners and their appeal to other clubs was in accordance with what they could offer and match. 

You kidding? Benteke, Sakho etc were all massive earners. Edwards just did an excellent job of palming them off on other clubs. 

Anyway, this is going a little off topic.

All I'm saying is lets give the new Arsenal manager some time to get the club in line with his style etc and then let's see where you are in comparison to how Wenger did. 

Wenger’s super-quick, robust, technical, and athletic teams of the late 90s and early 00s is my ideal football. It blends the pragamatism of Bilardo with the ‘English back four’ and Menotti with the forwards. The midfield being the perfect blend of the two; typified by Patrick Viera.

@SirBalon

Archived