talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber

Be amazed if we shift all the deadwood this window. I'm not getting too carried away with this summer, with big question marks over the permanent deals for Gomes and Zouma and a lot of talk about Gueye moving on, we'll do well to start next season with a stronger squad than the one that finished this one.

Two years from now we will have got rid of the Mirallas, Sandro, Bolasie cohort at last and we'll have finished paying off Koeman, Allardyce, Klaassen and all those other residual partial wages we're paying, then we can start getting excited about transfer windows and improving the squad with the money we have being the only thing we have to worry about.

I'd rather we were conservative with this summer's overhaul. Hopefully Baines does another year and saves us a transfer this summer. Stekelenburg can go if we have Lossl lined up on a free transfer to come in as a number 2 goalkeeper. Right back we can get by on Coleman and Kenny for one more year. Centre back we need to get Zouma or someone else, unless we're happy to keep Jags as 4th choice and Holgate as the first backup after Keane and Mina. We need Gomes or someone similar in midfield. Two if Gueye leaves and three if Schneiderlin also leaves. We could do with another winger if Lookman isn't going to settle and get a run in the team. I'd like to see Vlasic given a chance as Sigurdssons competition. Signing a striker is absolutely essential.

Realistically, we should be selling Stekelenburg, Bolasie, Besic, Sandro, Mirallas, Tosun, Niasse. They're probably mostly close enough to the end of their contracts now that someone might actually sniff around this summer.

• Subscriber
On 26/05/2019 at 15:36, Smiley Culture said:

What’s the link between Everton and Africa? Seen you’re off there for a friendly, not for the first time, and can’t work out the link. You’re sponsored by a betting firm and owned by an Asian, so where does the Africa link come in?

Sport Pesa are actually an African betting company. They are based in Kenya but they're from Africa, not Kenya. @Grizzly21.

Some more ITK transfer stuff:

Screenshot_20190527-182159_Twitter.thumb.jpg.80326c9a473156c5edf969da69f46820.jpg

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Jagielka's exit confirmed

Will be most remembered for this screamer

LivelyFirsthandHoopoe-size_restricted.gi

1 cherry on top that it was a last-minute equaliser.

Another cherry on top that it was in your rivals own back yard.

Absolute stunner.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Is he getting a testimonial?

Deserves one after 12 years at the club imo.

Not heard anything. Baines is also 12 years so they should have both had one last summer really. Suppose that's the sort of thing that gets lost with a relatively new owner and multiple managerial changes.

44 minutes ago, Stan said:

Will be most remembered for this screamer

LivelyFirsthandHoopoe-size_restricted.gi

1 cherry on top that it was a last-minute equaliser.

Another cherry on top that it was in your rivals own back yard.

Absolute stunner.

We were absolutely terrible that day and didn't deserve anything. I remember laughing at this goal more than celebrating it because I was so fed up with our performance. Liverpool were not much better. Gareth Barry hit the side netting almost after this so we almost broke our long standing Anfield curse with what was our worst performance there in my memory (until Martinez and Koeman utterly embarrassed themselves there).

I actually remember him more for the winning penalty in the 2009 FA Cup semi final. He's won player of the year twice for us too which is always impressive for a defender.

17 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Not heard anything. Baines is also 12 years so they should have both had one last summer really. Suppose that's the sort of thing that gets lost with a relatively new owner and multiple managerial changes.

We were absolutely terrible that day and didn't deserve anything. I remember laughing at this goal more than celebrating it because I was so fed up with our performance. Liverpool were not much better. Gareth Barry hit the side netting almost after this so we almost broke our long standing Anfield curse with what was our worst performance there in my memory (until Martinez and Koeman utterly embarrassed themselves there).

I actually remember him more for the winning penalty in the 2009 FA Cup semi final. He's won player of the year twice for us too which is always impressive for a defender.

Oh yeah... I don't know how, but I somehow forgot about all of the managerial changes/pretty new owner.

Some players opt not to have a testimonial until they're done with their careers. Some players that are eligible for one just decide not to have one for whatever reason. So there's probably a wide range of reasons why he might not be having one just yet. But yeah, I'd expect him and Baines (especially Baines, tbh) to get one eventually. But they might not, for whatever reason. Not a big deal in all honesty (although it's nice to have these charity matches).

• Subscriber

Looks like Gomes should be ours now and at a very decent £25-30m.

Sounds like we may sign Santiago Sosa from River Plate for around £12m. Hes only made four appearances for them or something so very unlikely to get a work permit. Don't know whether we'll abort the transfer as a result or sign him and loan him out for a while.

27 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Looks like Gomes should be ours now and at a very decent £25-30m.

Sounds like we may sign Santiago Sosa from River Plate for around £12m. Hes only made four appearances for them or something so very unlikely to get a work permit. Don't know whether we'll abort the transfer as a result or sign him and loan him out for a while.

We've done the same with a couple of players in the past. Sign them from South America, cant get a work permit, loan them out season after season, sell them or let them go on a free. 

Pointless really. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Really hope Everton can sort themselves out and compete at the top. I'd like to see them pushing the top 6 this year, I feel there are vulnerabilities at the London clubs in particular.

I think we'd need a sensational transfer window. If we could do that then yeah I can see Arsenal, Chelsea and United being vulnerable. However I think it'll take at least until the start of 2020-21 before we can realistically have channelled all of the resources currently being wasted on Mirallas, Bolasie, Walcott, Schneiderlin, Sandro etc. into players who are worth that money before we can get serious about challenging any of them.

The worst thing is that challenging the top six is hard enough, but also utterly meaningless. 5th or 6th are not much different from 7th other than the Europa spot being guaranteed/more likely and the fact you can say to transfer targets look we finished ahead of Arsenal last season. Getting to the top 4 is the real game changer, and scraping a 4th place for one season would still take a minor miracle for us even with Moshiri's resources. Becoming consistent top 4 challengers is essentially a pipe dream. I think the best we can be on a consistent basis is to establish ourselves as the last team in the top 7 rather than the first team outside the top 6 (and we haven't even done that yet) and take advantage of when the other big sides have bad seasons whenever we can, slowly build and chip away and see how far up we can get.

More realistic is making a real push to end the trophy drought. I will lose my mind if we lose another non-televised 4th round game in the League Cup at home to Brighton or Middlesbrough because we rotated the squad.

• Subscriber

Sounds like they're just thrashing out final details on Gomes. 120k per week reported which is hefty but a transfer fee of £26m which the club are looking to bring down if they can is a bargain.

Conflicting reports over Neres. A lot of paper talk but Alan Myers tweeting that he hasn't heard anything.

All gone quiet on Sosa.

• Subscriber

Baines has signed the one year contract extension.

Vlasic has joined CSKA Moscow on a permanent deal for a fee of £14m which is a nice little moneymaker for us.

Gomes is having a medical today/tomorrow and will be announced, reportedly the fee is down as far as £20.5m!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Gueye scored the only goal in Senegal's quarter final win over Benin, after a nice link up with Mane.

He really developed his box to box game throughout the second half of the season so even more reason to hope he stays, although the links with PSG have resurfaced today. I'd hoped that having signed Herrera they'd cool their interest.