talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

@RandoEFC watched Everton: Howards Way .... the other day. If you havent seen it id recommend it! Really good documentary mate. 

I actually haven't got around to watching it, which is unbelievable to be fair, but I've only heard good things. I really need to get round to it!

• Subscriber

Everton twitter on fire this weekend. Firstly, one of the most followed fans in our circles started dubbing 35 year old Everton's post match victory song "Spirit of the Blues" over various movie scenes, the trend spread like wildfire through the fanbase. Some of my personal favourites:

The song is now in the top 10 of the iTunes charts and rising 🤣.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

@RandoEFC Surely you've never been more confident of beating Liverpool after so long?!

I know it's not wise to get ahead of yourselves but gotta have some hope surely...

I do have some hope but there's also probably more chance of us losing. We have a lot of Goodison draws with them lately. This year we have a better chance of competing with them so we might go for it more and get done but I'd rather see us do that than scrap for another 0-0.

Also, I know they look shite against Villa right now but that's more reason for them to bounce back when they play us in a couple of weeks.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, ScoRoss said:

Not an upgrade on Pickford in the slightest. Really struggled at Roma, and wouldn't expect him to be good enough for Everton (especially where they are this season).

Seen so many similar comments. Seems like a signing in the mould of Stekelenburg or Robles.

Lossl was adequate back-up in my opinion. 

• Subscriber
56 minutes ago, Stan said:

Meanwhile xD

Why is he even in Everton kit though? They're not even signing him from us xD. The Schneiderlin bit is hilarious though because they actually do look sort of similar and you could be forgiven for not noticing it on first glance.

I'm not really optimistic about Olsen. From what I've heard, he's not going to be an improvement on Pickford, but hopefully he can act as a shot across the bows to get Pickford to sort his shit out. I can't see Olsen even being better than Lossl really but we've already reached a point with him where it's clear that Silva and Ancelotti both didn't trust him enough to drop Pickford so there's no pressure on the number one to improve. Although I don't actually think that a lack of pressure is Pickford's problem.

It's a good window overall. What was bigger yesterday was getting rid of Sandro Ramirez who was on £100k a week thanks to braindead Steve, and we managed to get Walcott on loan to Southampton who are paying half of his wages which is another £50k a week so that's a saving of £7.8m on wages over the next 12 months. Kean is also temporarily off the wage bill along with Besic, I don't know how much they're on. There was talk of Bernard leaving on loan to Roma which I'm glad didn't materialise. We have no clear back-up for Calvert-Lewin with Kean gone so it looks like Richarlison will have to operate as our second choice centre forward, meaning we have need of Rodriguez, Iwobi, Bernard and Gordon for the wide positions to give us six forwards, i.e. two in each position.

Still need to get Bolasie a move but we're slowly chopping back the hundreds of thousands we're paying a week to players who are no longer in the first team plans.

5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Why is he even in Everton kit though? They're not even signing him from us xD. The Schneiderlin bit is hilarious though because they actually do look sort of similar and you could be forgiven for not noticing it on first glance.

I'm not really optimistic about Olsen. From what I've heard, he's not going to be an improvement on Pickford, but hopefully he can act as a shot across the bows to get Pickford to sort his shit out. I can't see Olsen even being better than Lossl really but we've already reached a point with him where it's clear that Silva and Ancelotti both didn't trust him enough to drop Pickford so there's no pressure on the number one to improve. Although I don't actually think that a lack of pressure is Pickford's problem.

It's a good window overall. What was bigger yesterday was getting rid of Sandro Ramirez who was on £100k a week thanks to braindead Steve, and we managed to get Walcott on loan to Southampton who are paying half of his wages which is another £50k a week so that's a saving of £7.8m on wages over the next 12 months. Kean is also temporarily off the wage bill along with Besic, I don't know how much they're on. There was talk of Bernard leaving on loan to Roma which I'm glad didn't materialise. We have no clear back-up for Calvert-Lewin with Kean gone so it looks like Richarlison will have to operate as our second choice centre forward, meaning we have need of Rodriguez, Iwobi, Bernard and Gordon for the wide positions to give us six forwards, i.e. two in each position.

Still need to get Bolasie a move but we're slowly chopping back the hundreds of thousands we're paying a week to players who are no longer in the first team plans.

What do you think Pickford's problem is?

I'm never convinced by the approach of signing a credible backup (putting aside how credible we think Olsen actually is) in an attempt make your number 1 better. It's never going to have that big an effect, and it won't last long beyond Pickford realising he's got the better of Olsen. If by some miracle it does have a big effect, you need to be asking questions about your number 1's attitude. Maybe you need to ask questions about his attitude anyway that you thought this was a good idea.

We tried this several times with Mignolet, and all it got us was two keepers who weren't good enough instead of one. Chelsea have just done it with Mendy and I imagine it'll go the same way. It's just spending money to avoid dealing with a problem properly

Edited by Burning Gold

• Subscriber

Well at least we haven't spent actual money on Lossl or Olsen.

Pickford's problem for me is that he has completely lost his confidence but his ego and personality are such that he won't look in the mirror and have an honest conversation with himself about it. He's in denial about what the problem is. He panics when he's under pressure in games and hasn't taken the time to understand why. He seems to think his ability is enough that it'll average out and he'll play himself back into form. I'm not in the lad's head but that's what it looks like to me. 

• 1 month later...