talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

The names in the bookies list are pretty shit. 

Rooney makes sense for Rooney but not for Everton. He gets out of Derby with his credibility sky high and no relegation on his CV but he shouldn’t be getting a Premier League job, even till the end of the end of the season, this quickly. Nuno’s more of the same as Benitez, then you’ve got the Martinez’s and Bilic’s who are only there because of their links to Everton. 

• Subscriber

Eugh the thought of Bilic makes me sick. Martinez may have improved on his drawbacks since he left 6 years ago but every ounce of my gut feeling screams not to go back there. I don't know anything really about the Denmark manager besides him getting them to the semis of the Euros, but he's been the favourite for a while.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

One manager you want to try and get is Christophe Galtier, but it will probably end up being Rooney, Dunc or Lampard.

Galtier only just started at Nice so would be surprised if he leaves so soon.

Everton hint in their statement that it'll be a permanent manager so maybe not Ferguson? 

Lampards a good shout but don't think Everton fans will be too enamoured with that... 

This is why you need a DoF, now to go for another manager with a completely different style of play.

Graham Potter would be a good option I’d say, used to getting the best out of an average bunch and Everton definitely need that now

Don’t think it matters who the next manager is, at least just not yet.

5 hours ago, RondónEFC said:

He has taken this club further bavkward in 5 years than Kenwright did in 25 years.

Dunno about that, Everton are about as abject as I remember them pre-Moyes. They’re just richer now.

But Kenwright got one of the biggest clubs in the country content with losing its ambition almost entirely. I think that’s an impressively bad job.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Galtier only just started at Nice so would be surprised if he leaves so soon.

Everton hint in their statement that it'll be a permanent manager so maybe not Ferguson? 

Lampards a good shout but don't think Everton fans will be too enamoured with that... 

Lampard managing this totally shite squad sounds pretty entertaining tbh.

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Dunno about that, Everton are about as abject as I remember them pre-Moyes. They’re just richer now.

But Kenwright got one of the biggest clubs in the country content with losing its ambition almost entirely. I think that’s an impressively bad job.

Kenwright bought the club in 1999 by the way. We were already very, very bad by then and had survived relegation on the last day of the season twice in the decade running up to that with the FA Cup win in 1995 an exception. It's not like he was anywhere near the post-80s downward spiral. Again, not to defend the old fool but just to be factually accurate.

It’s a real make or break appointment for Everton, this one. If Newcastle can sign some players and actually pretend to be a semi-competent football team for long enough and Moshiri does a Moshiri again, they’re in genuine trouble this season, let alone next season. 

They need an appointment to get fans back on their side but appointing and inexperienced former player in Ferguson or Rooney isn’t the way to go to do that. 

• Subscriber

Potter would be mad to come here. We should have gone for him in the summer and let him and Brands get on with things while Moshiri fucked off and destroyed another train set somewhere far far away.

5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

It’s a real make or break appointment for Everton, this one. If Newcastle can sign some players and actually pretend to be a semi-competent football team for long enough and Moshiri does a Moshiri again, they’re in genuine trouble this season, let alone next season. 

They need an appointment to get fans back on their side but appointing and inexperienced former player in Ferguson or Rooney isn’t the way to go to do that. 

I'm still not sure about this. Even Benitez managed to win a quarter of our league games with a massive injury crisis. Even a bang average manager should be able to do at least that well in the second half of the season which is all you need to avoid relegation.

People have been using the same phrase "make or break" every single time we find ourselves here. It's a bit sensationalist. I can't remember the last season people weren't bricking it and saying "there's no such thing as too good to go down". If Ferguson can get us 4 points in two games again ot something and the permanent replacement can win 4-5 more games in the remainder of the season we're safe and despite people's exaggerations about our squad, we still have the quality to do that quite comfortably.

I've heard this all before. Everton could be in real trouble this time. Ooh Everton haven't done very good business in the transfer market, that squad doesn't look much better than the teams below them. You're never too good to go down. They need someone like Allardyce to come in and steady the ship. As much as I loathe most of them, this squad has finished 7th, 8th, 8th, 12th, 10th in the last five seasons. It would take a staggeringly bad second half of the season for us to go down.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

This is why you need a DoF, now to go for another manager with a completely different style of play.

Graham Potter would be a good option I’d say, used to getting the best out of an average bunch and Everton definitely need that now

If I'm Graham Potter, I'd see absolutely nothing appealing about joining Everton.

Bigger club than Brighton, 100% yes. Better team/squad? Hmm, probably not. Better financially equipped? Nope, not anymore by the looks of it.

He'll feel he's building something decent at Brighton and if he is to leave, it's got to be for something a bit more worthwhile than Everton you'd think. Just pure, hard facts.

Sounds massively harsh towards Everton Football Club and who knows, I might be wrong and he might relish the challenge but I don't see it as a realistic appointment myself.

Sean Dyche would be a good appointment for me. He won't leave Burnley mid season I'm sure but that's someone who I feel would go a long way to uniting the club. I think as a man manager, players like him and would bust a gut for him, especially after having Ancelotti and Benitez. Players seem to have a lot of good things to say about Dyche as a person. I like his character.

Might not be the most glamorous name but for where Everton are at this moment in time, I think he'd be a brilliant candidate and he deserves a chance somewhere bigger. 

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 2

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Lucas said:

If I'm Graham Potter, I'd see absolutely nothing appealing about joining Everton.

Bigger club than Brighton, 100% yes. Better team/squad? No, not really. Better financially equipped? Nope. He'll feel he's building something decent at Brighton and if he is to leave, it's got to be for something a bit more worthwhile than Everton.

Just pure, hard facts. Sounds massively harsh towards Everton Football Club and who knows, I might be wrong and he might relish the challenge but I don't see it as a realistic appointment myself.

Sean Dyche would be a good appointment for me. He won't leave Burnley mid season I'm sure but that's someone who I feel would go a long way to uniting the club. I think as a man manager, players like him and would bust a gut for him.

Might not be the most glamorous name but for where Everton are at this moment in time, I think he'd be a brilliant candidate.

Potter might be swayed by a huge pay rise and access to a bigger transfer kitty. He wouldn't be the first. I still think he'd be a mad man to come though.

Sorry but Dyche is a horrific shout. Good manager but the polar opposite of what we need.

This idea that we need to get a 'safe pair of hands' type manager needs to get in the bin. Look at Arsenal, Brighton, Brentford, Palace, Leeds, Villa. The list of teams in this league who have taken a 'gamble' on a younger, hungrier, unproven manager when they could have looked at a Hodgson/Dyche/Benitez "he'll get you 17th" option, and ended up much better off for it is growing and growing.

The real gamble nowadays isn't to employ a somewhat unknown or unproven quantity, it's to employ the managers that have made a career out of damage limitation and don't actually have the level of strategic thinking required to bring a club forward over multiple years. Dyche may not fall entirely into this category, but he's still a manager who plans to get to 40 points first and everything else comes second. He's not the type to have a five year plan to move you from mid/lower-mid table to the fringes of the top six.

Solid, safe, reliable, know what you're getting. All just pseudonyms for mediocre. We need to aim higher. A manager on the way up, not a manager who's reached their ceiling of "safe pair of hands".

15 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Sean Dyche would be a good appointment for me. He won't leave Burnley mid season I'm sure but that's someone who I feel would go a long way to uniting the club. I think as a man manager, players like him and would bust a gut for him, especially after having Ancelotti and Benitez. Players seem to have a lot of good things to say about Dyche as a person. I like his character.

Might not be the most glamorous name but for where Everton are at this moment in time, I think he'd be a brilliant candidate and he deserves a chance somewhere bigger. 

He used to be called the Ginger Mourinho a few seasons back and perhaps the media expectation was he would move on to bigger clubs.

Burnley are an unusual club for me they do not seem to bother about results until after the fourth round of the FA Cup and then getting a few results to keep them up.

Not sure if that is down to him or other factors.

Makes me doubtful he will be in the running for Everton.

21 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Bigger club than Brighton, 100% yes. Better team/squad? Hmm, probably not. Better financially equipped? Nope, not anymore by the looks of it.

He'll feel he's building something decent at Brighton and if he is to leave, it's got to be for something a bit more worthwhile than Everton you'd think. Just pure, hard facts.

Sounds massively harsh towards Everton Football Club and who knows, I might be wrong and he might relish the challenge but I don't see it as a realistic appointment myself.

Sean Dyche would be terrible imo, I don’t think he’d be terrible but there is no way the fanbase go for that.

Do Everton not have the resources anymore?

30 minutes ago, RondónEFC said:

Potter would be mad to come here. We should have gone for him in the summer and let him and Brands get on with things while Moshiri fucked off and destroyed another train set somewhere far far away.

I'm still not sure about this. Even Benitez managed to win a quarter of our league games with a massive injury crisis. Even a bang average manager should be able to do at least that well in the second half of the season which is all you need to avoid relegation.

People have been using the same phrase "make or break" every single time we find ourselves here. It's a bit sensationalist. I can't remember the last season people weren't bricking it and saying "there's no such thing as too good to go down". If Ferguson can get us 4 points in two games again ot something and the permanent replacement can win 4-5 more games in the remainder of the season we're safe and despite people's exaggerations about our squad, we still have the quality to do that quite comfortably.

I've heard this all before. Everton could be in real trouble this time. Ooh Everton haven't done very good business in the transfer market, that squad doesn't look much better than the teams below them. You're never too good to go down. They need someone like Allardyce to come in and steady the ship. As much as I loathe most of them, this squad has finished 7th, 8th, 8th, 12th, 10th in the last five seasons. It would take a staggeringly bad second half of the season for us to go down.

I maybe worded it wrong but I think it’s make or break with the fans, the threat of relegation is an aside to that right now and while unlikely, you look appalling at times and there’s a chance, however, slim that you get sucked into it if Newcastle can manage to throw enough blood money around and some shit sticks between now and whenever the season eventually ends.

I think another appointment like this, a short-term appointment with no real plan to it and more ambling along and finishing in positions that the fans think is beneath the squad they have and I think the pressure on Moshiri really ramps up, new stadium or not. The bloke comes across to me, a complete neutral, as that stereotypical “rich man with a toy to play with till he gets bored”. The constant changes and flitting between working with DoF’s and working with different DoF’s every year and the contrast in the appointments made at managerial level (Silva who’d had a good month at Watford, Ancelotti who’s a massive name, Allardyce to keep you up, Koeman who looked to be up and coming and Benitez, a fella championed for Newcastle not being complete shit but still being pretty shit) and their styles and philosophies just looks like the workings of an irrational, knee jerk buffoon without any discernible plan. More of the same and I don’t see how your fans don’t really turn on him, if many haven’t already. 

I like Dyche but he doesn’t suit the “Everton way” and the style that Everton fans want to see as the very basis of the club. Not many names on the SkyBet list scream that to me, either. An untested foreign manager is a risk but that doesn’t mean it can’t work. Those who’ve worked in the Premier League in recent years don’t really scream that sort of thing either.