talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

17 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Blackpool 2-4 Everton. A reasonably good outing from what I saw. Conceded a sloppy set piece goal which needs to not become a habit after it fucked us last season. Some good attacking play with the wing backs heavily involved. Two assists for right back Patterson and a goal and assist for left back Mykolenko. Alli with a confidence boosting brace. Tarkowski also a standout performer in defence. Much needed improvement on the performances out in the US.

Great all round performance from all the Everton players really, with Mykolenko, Patterson, Alli and Tarkowski standing out in particular. But Pickford really should have done better for Blackpool's first goal. Generally speaking though, it was an excellent and dominant display by Everton.

https://www.liverpoolworld.uk/sport/football/everton/everton-player-ratings-dele-alli-among-four-players-to-get-810-in-blackpool-pre-season-win-3779973?page=1

35 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Mykolenko has been really good for us since he got settled. It's gone quite under the radar outside of our fanbase. Hoping he can carry it into this season.

I think that joining Everton and playing in the Premier League is the best decision he has made. It's the best league to improve as a player. Granted it's not easy playing for a club that was struggling like Everton were last season, but nonetheless, the high standard of play in the Prem, usually gets the most out of players. I am sure that Mykolenko will continue to improve at Everton, under the guidance of Lampard. He is a quality swashbuckling left-back, who still has his best years ahead of him.

What are your feelings regarding Everton's prospects this season? Do you think they'll do better than last season or do you think it will be another season trying to avoid relegation?

Tarkowski was an excellent signing for your defence, but the loss of Richarlison is bound to be felt upfront. But apart from Tarkowski, no one knew has been bought yet. Dendoncker, Billy Gilmour, Maxwel Cornet and Januzaj are all players that Everton have been linked with though and they are players that they are looking to sign. However, it remains to be seen who they will eventually get.

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Michael said:

What are your feelings regarding Everton's prospects this season? Do you think they'll do better than last season or do you think it will be another season trying to avoid relegation?

We should do better than last season even with the loss of Richarlison provided that the manager we're starting with this season is unlikely to go to war with the Director of Football, multiple key players and the entire scouting and medical backroom teams halfway through the season and get the full backing of our lunatic owner two weeks before getting sacked. Tarkowski is an important signing and with Pickford in goal, if Mina can stay fit for more of this season than last, our defensive core actually should be quite good in theory.

However, the squad still has gaping holes and Lampard is still having to pick line-ups with players playing out of their best positions to cover weaknesses elsewhere, so I'm not really confident and like I think I've said, with the current state of things I'd probably take it if someone offered me 14th place or something right now, which is a pretty disgraceful state of affairs for Everton Football Club.

Still time for the club to pull a couple of gems out of the bag this window but I'm not particularly impressed by the majority of names we seem to be pursuing. It's depressing because last summer when we spent £1.5m on two players was made out to be a one-off yet we're back here a year later and it isn't even sell to buy. It's sell Richarlison just to get almost back on track with FFP.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

We should do better than last season even with the loss of Richarlison provided that the manager we're starting with this season is unlikely to go to war with the Director of Football, multiple key players and the entire scouting and medical backroom teams halfway through the season and get the full backing of our lunatic owner two weeks before getting sacked. Tarkowski is an important signing and with Pickford in goal, if Mina can stay fit for more of this season than last, our defensive core actually should be quite good in theory.

However, the squad still has gaping holes and Lampard is still having to pick line-ups with players playing out of their best positions to cover weaknesses elsewhere, so I'm not really confident and like I think I've said, with the current state of things I'd probably take it if someone offered me 14th place or something right now, which is a pretty disgraceful state of affairs for Everton Football Club.

Still time for the club to pull a couple of gems out of the bag this window but I'm not particularly impressed by the majority of names we seem to be pursuing. It's depressing because last summer when we spent £1.5m on two players was made out to be a one-off yet we're back here a year later and it isn't even sell to buy. It's sell Richarlison just to get almost back on track with FFP.

I have to concur with a lot of what you have said. 14th place or thereabouts is probably as high as Everton will realistically seek to finish, under the current circumstances and with the current team. However, my view could change of course, depending on what players Everton sign over the next months.

But you are also right about Everton's defence looking really strong. Pickford, Mykolenko,Tarkowski, Mina and Patterson all form a very solid defensive unit. However, the midfield seems to need strengthening to me and I do believe some new recruits will be brought to strengthen this area of the team. While a lot of pressure will be on the shoulders of Dominic Calvert-Lewin up-front next season, as I don't believe that Lampard is planning to bring in any noteworthy strikers this summer.

We will have to watch this space to see what changes are made over the next few weeks. Hopefully Lampard will be able to attract a couple of desirable players to the club.

• Subscriber

The £32m fee for Moise Kean from Juventus edging closer and the club still looking to offload Andre Gomes (who is a lovely bloke but needs to be moved on given his wages and unsuitability for the Premier League).

We might have to wait until later in the window but there's still stuff to pan out that can play in our favour.

• Subscriber

Multiple sources reporting a loan to buy deal for Ruben Vinagre from Sporting.

Good because Mykolenko is still our only left back. I don't know what other positions Vinagre can play but hopefully he can provide cover further up the pitch or at right back.

The right back situation is a discussion in its own right. Kenny has left the club, Coleman has missed all of pre-season with a groin injury and isn't fit for purpose at Premier League level anymore anyway. It leaves a lot on young Patterson's shoulders at just 20 years old. He missed his chance last season with injury problems but I've seen him for the under 23s, for Scotland and in pre-season, and he's always looked really good so hopefully he can carry that into the Premier League.

With Ashley Cole, Leighton Baines and Seamus Coleman around the club in different capacities it should really be a golden age for the development of young full backs at Everton. 

• Subscriber

Vinagre to join on a season long loan. Everton paying all the wages at ~£20k per week. Option to buy for about £10m next summer.

One priority sorted with a deal that makes sense financially. Might not be one of the top 3 or 4 priorities but some depth at left back was still on the list.

• Subscriber

Everton 3-0 Dynamo Kyiv

Last pre season friendly and the only one at Goodison Park watched by over 30,000 fans including a good number of visitors from Ukraine.

A decent win against competitive if not formidable opposition. Some good patterns of play from us but still need a bit more in terms of link up play in the final third. Doucoure and Iwobi played most of the game as the midfield two which isn't what we should be looking to do going forward. Calvert-Lewin bagged the only goal in the first half nodding home from a long Tarkowski pass. Pickford made a good save late in the first half from Kyiv's best chance. The game jumped back into life with the introduction of fresh legs for the past half hour, McNeil bagging a brace on his debut with Vinagre assisting the last goal marking a nice outing for the new recruits.

Everton fan Paul Stratton was "subbed on" in the 90th minute to take a penalty in front of the Gladwys Street end which he duly converted. Paul has been doing a lot of work in Poland with refugees fleeing the war in Ukraine so this was a part of the festivities. Too bad Kyiv couldn't bag a goal for their travelling fans!

• Subscriber
42 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

We also got a decent win tonight... Are you ready for Saturday?? 

I would say more or less if we can get a central midfielder in. The Chelsea game isn't really the type that has our season riding on it so a good performance is all we should be expecting. But with Villa, Forest, Brentford, Leeds after that we could do with carrying some momentum into those which potentially shape our season.

11 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Everton 3-0 Dynamo Kyiv

Last pre season friendly and the only one at Goodison Park watched by over 30,000 fans including a good number of visitors from Ukraine.

A decent win against competitive if not formidable opposition. Some good patterns of play from us but still need a bit more in terms of link up play in the final third. Doucoure and Iwobi played most of the game as the midfield two which isn't what we should be looking to do going forward. Calvert-Lewin bagged the only goal in the first half nodding home from a long Tarkowski pass. Pickford made a good save late in the first half from Kyiv's best chance. The game jumped back into life with the introduction of fresh legs for the past half hour, McNeil bagging a brace on his debut with Vinagre assisting the last goal marking a nice outing for the new recruits.

Everton fan Paul Stratton was "subbed on" in the 90th minute to take a penalty in front of the Gladwys Street end which he duly converted. Paul has been doing a lot of work in Poland with refugees fleeing the war in Ukraine so this was a part of the festivities. Too bad Kyiv couldn't bag a goal for their travelling fans!

Well that was a convincing win, but Everton were essentially playing Dynamo Kyiv's reserves. Dynamo Kyiv clearly resting their best 11 for the crucial upcoming Champions League Third round qualifying match against Sturm Graz on the 3rd of August. It was great to see 30,000 turn up for this friendly though, as it is a sign of the strong and dedicated support that Everton can call on.

From Everton's perspective, I thought McNeil had a great game, coming on as a sub and scoring 2 goals, his first goal in particular was an excellent strike. Calvert-Lewin took his goal well also, with his opportunistic header. Calvert-Lewin played well all round upfront, which is positive news for Everton, since they've lost the services of Richarlison. Other players who impressed, were Mykolenko, Tarkowski and Iwobi.

It's also great that the proceeds from this game, will go towards humanitarian charities supporting those suffering in Ukraine. It was a very positive step from both Everton and Dynamo Kyiv to arrange this friendly and to help the cause in Ukraine.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Michael said:

Well that was a convincing win, but Everton were essentially playing Dynamo Kyiv's reserves. Dynamo Kyiv clearly resting their best 11 for the crucial upcoming Champions League Third round qualifying match against Sturm Graz on the 3rd of August. It was great to see 30,000 turn up for this friendly though, as it is a sign of the strong and dedicated support that Everton can call on.

From Everton's perspective, I thought McNeil had a great game, coming on as a sub and scoring 2 goals, his first goal in particular was an excellent strike. Calvert-Lewin took his goal well also, with his opportunistic header. Calvert-Lewin played well all round upfront, which is positive news for Everton, since they've lost the services of Richarlison. Other players who impressed, were Mykolenko, Tarkowski and Iwobi.

It's also great that the proceeds from this game, will go towards humanitarian charities supporting those suffering in Ukraine. It was a very positive step from both Everton and Dynamo Kyiv to arrange this friendly and to help the cause in Ukraine.

The Dynamo team that got put out did pretty well to be fair to them. Didn't trouble the goal too much but a good level of intensity and they took advantage of our weakness in midfield at times.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Big Sally Rondon starting the season up front lads, wheeeeeey 🥳🍾.

Part of me wants him to have a great game and go on to having a great season, just because it'd be funny and nobody would expect it...

... and then the other part of me remembers he plays for Everton and would prefer him to be the Rondon I know and love that is hated by you lot xD

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Part of me wants him to have a great game and go on to having a great season, just because it'd be funny and nobody would expect it...

... and then the other part of me remembers he plays for Everton and would prefer him to be the Rondon I know and love that is hated by you lot xD

He isn't hated, he actually grafts which the fans respect. It was just that run of games last season where Calvert-Lewin was injured and Rondon started about 8 games in a row when we could have tried Richarlison down the middle with Gray/Townsend/Gordon down the sides. So there was a lot of "fucking Rondon fuck off", not least from me, but the real beef was aimed at He Who Shall Not Be Named.

55 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

He isn't hated, he actually grafts which the fans respect. It was just that run of games last season where Calvert-Lewin was injured and Rondon started about 8 games in a row when we could have tried Richarlison down the middle with Gray/Townsend/Gordon down the sides. So there was a lot of "fucking Rondon fuck off", not least from me, but the real beef was aimed at He Who Shall Not Be Named.

All my friends who support Everton absolutely fucking hate the guy, so I was basing it more off that.

51 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

What's even funnier is that Rondon is actually suspended to start the season because of his mental red card against Brentford.

Oh shit, I forgot all about that!

So who the fuck would be next up? Moise Kean? Or did he get transferred away?

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oh shit, I forgot all about that!

So who the fuck would be next up? Moise Kean? Or did he get transferred away?

I don't even know if Moise Kean plays for us anymore to be honest. xD

Dele Alli has had some good minutes as a bit of a false nine in pre-season so I expect he'd be next in line.

• Upvote 1