talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber

Saw a good point that Everton should be appealing to have any points deduction suspended until next season given that no other club will ever be given penalties for two different time periods in the same season and that being inflicted upon Everton would come purely as a consequence of the Premier League's administrative processes.

I assume we'll appeal any points deduction given today which means that teams in the relegation fight have to wait on the results of both ours and Forest's appeals during the last 6 games of the season. I know I've been going on about it all season but it's ridiculous and it destroys the sporting integrity of the league so it needs to continue being called out.

However, we're probably better off getting hit with 2 points now and taking our chances than starting on -2 next season with Leicester and Leeds to contend with instead of the shambles the Championship has had to offer this season and after our squad has been asset stripped just to keep the club afloat yet again.

• Subscriber

Racked up 35 points from 31 games. Had 8 taken off us. I think our treatment overall has been pretty scandalous but we would have been dead and buried either of the previous 2 years. Trying to look at the positives. Two points ahead of Forest and Luton with a much better goal difference than Luton and home games against Forest, Brentford and Sheffield Utd as well as Luton away remaining. We shouldn't get relegated from here but if we do then it's because of PSR.

By the way, our two breaches combined still add up to less than Forest's breach and that's counting 2021 and 2022's accounts twice. We've lost 8 points and they've lost 4. Talk about fit for purpose, eh? Not to mention the fact their breach was for actually spending on players and ours is mostly interest on stadium loans but old ground, old ground.

• Subscriber

The stalemate continues. The Premier League have responded to the fan advisory board to basically say it isn't in their remit to "reject" 777 and force the owner to look for an alternative buyer, leaving us in limbo as long as 777 claim to be pursuing this. Moshiri won't talk to other buyers who are ready and willing to come and 'save' the club because they're not willing to buy his equity at the price 777 are willing to pay. All the while, the fans have no power to do anything but watch and wait.

As far as I can see, there is no mechanism to stop this going on forever. Either 777 have to provide proof they can buy and fund the club which they haven't managed to do in 8 months, or Moshiri has to agree to sell to somebody else. That somebody else will either have to match 777's price (not going to happen) or Moshiri is going to have to cut his losses and agree to sell his shares to an alternative buyer for less money. The longer he keeps faith with 777, the more Everton gets saddled with further debt and the less appealing ownership of the club becomes, meaning he's likely to have even lower bids for his shares.

Now we wait for Moshiri to come to the decision to cut his losses. I can't see how 777 are going to pass this fit and proper ownership test if they're asking for another extension now, so I think it's on Moshiri to end this. Sadly, Moshiri has shown time and time again that he doesn't tend to make either the most prudent decision in general or the decision in the best interests of the football club. It makes you wonder whether this fit and proper owners test should have an expiry date of say 3 months or the PL/EFL should have the means to conclusively reject an application, because this stalemate doesn't help anyone and all the parties worst affected (fans, staff, players) have no power to influence proceedings.

• Subscriber

MSP have decided that they'd rather just get their £160m loan repaid late than activate their option to become the majority shareholders of Everton.

£160m is more appealing than owning a Premier League football club because of the mess that football club is. Encouraging for our future prospects.

I honestly can't see how this ends in anything other than us going into administration and languishing in the lower leagues or going bust entirely.