talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Yeah, the food is class. Wouldn't stay anywhere else really if I needed to do an overnight in Liverpool. 

Most away teams stay overnight there and can only seeing it becoming a bigger and bigger attraction once the ground is built. It's going to be a bustling area in a fantastic city.

That good? Maybe I'll stay there instead of at my parents' house the next time I go back home

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Stan said:

When is the ground going to be built by? 

I don't think they've really said. Most estimates seem to be around 2022 but that seems a bit ambitious now seeing as we're yet to stick a spade in the ground. Probably the 2023-24 season earliest.

26 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't think they've really said. Most estimates seem to be around 2022 but that seems a bit ambitious now seeing as we're yet to stick a spade in the ground. Probably the 2023-24 season earliest.

There's almost always delays in large construction projects of that scale too. But it'll be coming within the next 5-6 years, I'd imagine.

17 hours ago, Cannabis said:

@SirBalon, your favourite footballer has left Everton for Wigan Athletic in a £2m deal. Thanks for the memories Antonee Robinson! xD:dam:

I have to say that everytime I come across names that have had their spelling altered to say the same name thing just to be different or names that are total fabrication I cringe but also laugh out loud. I really don't get it at all, I don't see the point...

As a parent... You like the name Anthony? Really! It's a wonderful name seeing as it's the anglo version of mine, Antonio. Just name the poor kid Anthony and forget the semantics. Not that it hurts anyone, just me being facetious I suppose. xD

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Tarashaj has gone for another loan to FC Emmen.

I literally can't remember the last time we loaned a player out who went on to become a half decent first team player. I suppose Barkley had a loan at Sheffield Wednesday and Holgate will probably feature for us this season, but in general, getting loaned out as a young Everton player increasingly seems to spell the end of your potential to cut it at the club. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

In our defence, he went on loan back to Grasshopper and didn't shine. It's a case of is wanting to sell but not being able to in honesty. 

Yeah but that's the case with so many young players. We seem to loan them to the Championship, they show they're good enough for the Championship, then stay good enough for the Championship - Robinson is the most recent example of a player who had a bit of hype around him last summer. Then you've got all the Garbutts, Galloways, Dowells, Lundstrams over the years who were amongst the best in the club and national youth teams and just hit a brick wall at that sort of Championship level.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Yeah but that's the case with so many young players. We seem to loan them to the Championship, they show they're good enough for the Championship, then stay good enough for the Championship - Robinson is the most recent example of a player who had a bit of hype around him last summer. Then you've got all the Garbutts, Galloways, Dowells, Lundstrams over the years who were amongst the best in the club and national youth teams and just hit a brick wall at that sort of Championship level.

I think that’s just the nature of developing young players. Even the ones that look really really good at the youth level might not be ready for regular first team football in the top flight. Some might be late bloomers as well - Connor Coady for example, when he left us after his loan spells it was because it looked like he found his level in the championship. It wasn’t until he was promoted with Wolves many years later that he’s looking like a genuine top flight defender.

And kids that were higher rated than him at our youth team are still in the championship or below.

Everton clearly have a very good academy with some very talented youth players. But I think the nature of developing young players for a side with ambition in the top flight means a lot of those players don’t break through into the first team unfortunately.

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Did you see the game? 

Goal wrongly disallowed, Sigurdsson hit the woodwork twice and two stonewall penalties denied in the last minute. Only one team going to win over the 90 minutes. 

I didn't see the disallowed goal but yeah I watched the majority of it. The first of the two handballs was hilariously obvious.

13 hours ago, Stan said:

Everton apparently in line to sign 'one of Brazil's brightest talents', 17 year old Reinier Jesus Carvalho.

Wonder if @El Profesor can tell us anything about him?

Reinier is the best well-known and the best rated U-17 prospect in Brazil. 

He´s an attacking midfielder, with a really good eye for the goal. He is often compared to Kaká and it´s a decent comparison. Obivously, I´m not saying he will be the next Kaká but he has a similar style, he´s tall, has long strides and is very difficult to stop once he reaches full speed, not to mention he shoots very well.

Very objective player, he´s not your traditional brazilian hot prospect in the sense that he´s not a winger that has a vast arsenal of tricks to dribble, he´s more objective, he uses his body and speed to get past by players and is also a good passer. 

40 million is a lot of money for an unproven player and at that price Flamengo, despite being a wealthy club, would certainly sell him. 

On the other hand, Real Madrid was criticized when they bought Vinicius for 45 million euros and 2 years later, it seems like they´ve gotten themsleves a huge bargain.

It´s a dangerous signing because you never know if a 17-year old will turn out to be good at the professional level, but Reinier seems to be a good bet to take that risk.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

40 million for a 17 year old? That gives me some serious vertigo.

Imagine if he does turn out to be the next Kaka though while he's with you... 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Stan said:

Imagine if he does turn out to be the next Kaka though while he's with you... 

It's kind of unreal though that Milan bought Lucas Paquetá for 35 million euros less than a year ago, when he was already a undisputed starter for Flamengo and had already reached the national team.

If Everton really makes that offer, Flamengo should sell him without further thought.

In my opinion, if Everton really wants to splash the cash in Brazil, instead of buying Reinier for 40 mil, buying both Bruno Guimarães and Pedro for a total of 50 million euros is a better business. 

Established players who would make Everton a better team from day one.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

Starting to wonder now about our transfer business. It's looking like we will see our squad finally taking shape a lot closer to the first game than we'd hoped, like last summer. The prevailing rumours seem to be that we'll make three more permanent signings and a loan.

If we want to have two players per position, we need to get a shift on as some of these will leave:

GK: Pickford/Lossl/Stekelenburg

RB: Coleman/???

CB: Keane/Mina/Holgate/???

LB: Digne/Baines

CDM: Gomes/Gueye/Schneiderlin/Delph/Davies/McCarthy

RM: Walcott/Lookman

LM: Richarlison/Bernard

CAM: Sigurdsson/???

ST: Calvert-Lewin/Tosun/Niasse

I expect at least McCarthy, Lookman, probably Tosun, hopefully Niasse and possibly Schneiderlin are headed for the door this summer. This leaves us with a lengthy to do list for the next 3 weeks or less:

1) Sign a right back to compete with Coleman and preferably one good enough to eventually take over as first choice in the next year or two.

2) Sign a first choice centre back. I still think Mina will come good but he needs to be made to earn his place in the side if we're to be sure.

3) Sign a right winger who can play as first choice. Walcott wasn't productive enough last season. This player will take Lookman's place in the squad. If Lookman stays or we promote Broadhead or another youth player then we'll start the season with Richarlison on the right and Bernard on the left which isn't the end of the world I guess as it worked well last season.

4) Sign a goalscorer. Tosun is unreliable and will probably be sold. Niasse just isn't good enough. Calvert-Lewin is a great option to have as one of two strikers or as a second-choice but isn't yet ready to lead the line for a full season. Going into the new season without a reliable goalscorer will cost us 10-15 points in the league and we can't do this for another season.

Possible 5) We still don't really have competition for Sigurdsson. However with the signings of Gomes and Delph, the club's insistence that Gueye will stay and no guarantee that Schneiderlin will leave either, I'm beginning to think that the management have decided that they see Tom Davies' future as an advanced midfield player, so perhaps they already think this spot is filled.

Possible 6) If Gueye does move on we will obviously need to replace him properly too. Brands and Silva don't see Delph as a Gueye replacement.

Tick, tock.