talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.6e918ab9335d9ba9e6a2af30039f8132.png

Everton defender Yerry Mina fined for breaching betting rules

Everton's Colombia defender Yerry Mina has been fined £10,000 and warned over his future conduct after breaching Football Association betting rules.

An FA regulatory commission said Mina took part in a television advert with a Colombian betting company called Betjuego, and accepted the misconduct charge.

The commission heard that the advert was entirely in Spanish and not broadcast outside of Colombia.

Everton said, in mitigation, that the advert had only aired for around one month after 24-year-old Mina had demanded it be removed as soon as he was informed that he was in breach of the FA's betting rules.

A statement released by the FA said: "Yerry Mina has been warned as to his future conduct and fined £10,000 after admitting a misconduct charge in relation to the FA's betting rules.

"The Everton FC defender breached FA Rule E8(3) by participating in an advertisement for betting activity which he is prohibited from engaging in."

Mina joined Everton from Barcelona in a deal worth around £27million after starring for Colombia at the 2018 World Cup in Russia and has since made 19 appearances for the club

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/off-the-pitch/everton/news/everton-defender-yerry-mina-fined-for-breaching-betting-rules_370979.html

• Administrator

So he's not allowed to be in a betting ad but he can wear a shirt sponsored by a betting company and play in a stadium where there's advertisements for betting companies during a game?

The FA at their logical best, for sure.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

So he's not allowed to be in a betting ad but he can wear a shirt sponsored by a betting company and play in a stadium where there's advertisements for betting companies during a game?

The FA at their logical best, for sure.

Aye the FA make you laugh sometimes, it's like the BBC saying they never advertise and that's why we have to pay for a TV Licence yet on the likes of Match of the Day with all their advertisements plastered around the ground and as you said players wearing shirts with brand names on them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Very predictable paper talk but I'll be amazed if Moyes returns under this current regime of Moshiri and Brands. I wouldn't rule it out though. I'm more inclined to believe that Marcel Brands is sniffing around Ten Hag or whatever his name is from Ajax.

Bottom line, though, I still think Marco Silva can be a success at Everton in the long run. What we're seeing here though is a manager showing pretty poor form, enough to ask the question "will he be sacked" and the media piling on and on about it until the question becomes "when will he be sacked".

Can't be arsed with it. 

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Very predictable paper talk but I'll be amazed if Moyes returns under this current regime of Moshiri and Brands. I wouldn't rule it out though. I'm more inclined to believe that Marcel Brands is sniffing around Ten Hag or whatever his name is from Ajax.

Bottom line, though, I still think Marco Silva can be a success at Everton in the long run. What we're seeing here though is a manager showing pretty poor form, enough to ask the question "will he be sacked" and the media piling on and on about it until the question becomes "when will he be sacked".

Can't be arsed with it. 

Wasn’t Ten Hag (or however you spell it) linked with Bayern Munich over the summer?

I think that’s just as likely as Moyes’ coming back - not that likely.

15 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'm amazed at how much faith they have in Brands.

I think he's brought in good players for them. I can understand doubting Silva more than Brands.

It's interesting, but if you look at Silva's career... he's never really stayed at one place for a very long time. He's managed decent win percentages at the club's he's been to, with Watford and Hull being the 2 lowest win percentages he's got (but also probably 2 of the shittest clubs he's managed in the leagues he's managed in)… but he's just never really stayed at one club for a very long time.

So it's pretty difficult to say how he does as a manager over a longer period of time overseeing a bigger project. And I'm going to be honest... I haven't watched much Everton this season, but I've heard quite a few Everton fans complain about how bad they've been, and the few times I have seen Everton this season they've not really looked good. To me they look like a team of good players on paper that just doesn't have an identity on the pitch.

Which is bizarre to me because I felt like last season Silva made Everton look a lot more competitive. But their form this season just really isn't great and that's why you see the pressure mounting. This Everton side shouldn't be in the relegation zone, even if we are just 8 matches into the season. It's just a bizarre situation and I don't know what to make of it.

Well I do know what to make of it... because I'm not an Everton fan, I'm a Liverpool fan. I think it's funny. But if I was an Everton fan I'd be a bit pissed off and pretty confused at what the fuck has happened to all of the progress from the second half of last season.

Brands hasn't done anything out of the ordinary though and they make out like he's done great business but all he's really done is sign players who weren't good enough for top six clubs (in England or abroad). Spent big money on a few of them too. They've elevated him to some sort of God like status based on not a lot.

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Brands hasn't done anything out of the ordinary though and they make out like he's done great business but all he's really done is sign players who weren't good enough for top six clubs (in England or abroad). Spent big money on a few of them too. They've elevated him to some sort of God like status based on not a lot.

Brands is a board member not a scout. He has a say in who we sign in as much as he makes a judgement on the long term financial future of the club to decide what he wants for a player we want to sell and how much to spend on players we bring in.

We've had to spend a lot of money on this squad because Koeman and Walsh pissed all that money up the wall on 27-30 year olds and shite like Sandro and Klaassen whilst also dishing out 5 year contracts to players like Schneiderlin, Walcott and Mirallas for £60k-£100k a week which we are still fighting against now.

Brands has had two transfer windows where we've been active to try and deal with this and I won't be judging him on the 8 games we've played so far this season. So far he managed to bring in £10m for Rooney, recover half of the Klaassen fee spent by his predecessor, sell Gueye for £30m after he hit 30 years old, sold Lookman and Vlasic for a profit when their stock should really have fallen in their time with us, and managed to ship out a lot of the other shite like Robles, Funes Mori, Besic, McCarthy, Mirallas etc. Some for decent little fees too. And even then we've still got a bunch of players who were given unreasonably long contracts lying around which highlights just what a mess he inherited. Theres a group of players, Stekelenburg, Pennington, Niasse, Martina where I could barely tell you whether they left, got loaned out or are rotting in obscurity somewhere while still taking a wage off us.

Yes we've spent big money on some of Richarlison, Kean, Iwobi but it's too early to judge whether the investment there has been good or bad due to the age of the players.

The only glaring oversight was the haggling over Zouma with Chelsea when we had a Tomori loan agreed as a back up if we couldn't change their mind on Zouma which got ruined by unforeseen circumstances in David Luiz throwing his toys out of the pram and Chelsea having to keep both. We should have had an emergency deal lined up just in case and it has caused us a problem on the pitch this season.

So to summarise, well done, for in a time you could have a pop at 95% of people employed by Everton football club without much argument from me, you still manage to identify one of the few people who is actually doing his job with some competence to try and criticise. Got a real knack for it 😉.

22 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Brands is a board member not a scout. He has a say in who we sign in as much as he makes a judgement on the long term financial future of the club to decide what he wants for a player we want to sell and how much to spend on players we bring in.

We've had to spend a lot of money on this squad because Koeman and Walsh pissed all that money up the wall on 27-30 year olds and shite like Sandro and Klaassen whilst also dishing out 5 year contracts to players like Schneiderlin, Walcott and Mirallas for £60k-£100k a week which we are still fighting against now.

Brands has had two transfer windows where we've been active to try and deal with this and I won't be judging him on the 8 games we've played so far this season. So far he managed to bring in £10m for Rooney, recover half of the Klaassen fee spent by his predecessor, sell Gueye for £30m after he hit 30 years old, sold Lookman and Vlasic for a profit when their stock should really have fallen in their time with us, and managed to ship out a lot of the other shite like Robles, Funes Mori, Besic, McCarthy, Mirallas etc. Some for decent little fees too. And even then we've still got a bunch of players who were given unreasonably long contracts lying around which highlights just what a mess he inherited. Theres a group of players, Stekelenburg, Pennington, Niasse, Martina where I could barely tell you whether they left, got loaned out or are rotting in obscurity somewhere while still taking a wage off us.

Yes we've spent big money on some of Richarlison, Kean, Iwobi but it's too early to judge whether the investment there has been good or bad due to the age of the players.

The only glaring oversight was the haggling over Zouma with Chelsea when we had a Tomori loan agreed as a back up if we couldn't change their mind on Zouma which got ruined by unforeseen circumstances in David Luiz throwing his toys out of the pram and Chelsea having to keep both. We should have had an emergency deal lined up just in case and it has caused us a problem on the pitch this season.

So to summarise, well done, for in a time you could have a pop at 95% of people employed by Everton football club without much argument from me, you still manage to identify one of the few people who is actually doing his job with some competence to try and criticise. Got a real knack for it 😉.

There seems to be a lot of focus on the players going out but that's no use if the players coming in aren't an improvement. Getting rid of some of these players isn't some sort of genius move. If they've been at a midtable Premier League club there will always be someone looking to take them. Or if they've been good elsewhere but haven't done it at Everton, someone will take a punt on them. I'm also not sure getting rid of Gueye can be turned into some sort of positive because he was turning 30? 

Brands may not have done badly but his work so far shouldn't have had him elevated to where you lot have him. The jury should very much still be out on him not have banners of him as the GodfatherxD

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

There seems to be a lot of focus on the players going out but that's no use if the players coming in aren't an improvement. Getting rid of some of these players isn't some sort of genius move. If they've been at a midtable Premier League club there will always be someone looking to take them. Or if they've been good elsewhere but haven't done it at Everton, someone will take a punt on them. I'm also not sure getting rid of Gueye can be turned into some sort of positive because he was turning 30? 

Brands may not have done badly but his work so far shouldn't have had him elevated to where you lot have him. The jury should very much still be out on him not have banners of him as the GodfatherxD

Ooooh a banner for someone at the club. Criminal. Does that mean everyone who has a banner in the stands has been elevated to "God-like status"?

Weren't you crying about us having those plastic flags a few weeks ago instead of having a bunch of different flags or banners instead? Make your mind up pal.

Like seriously, we're in the relegation zone, our fans are rabid over sacking over another manager and the best you can come up with is having a dig at the Godfather banner we have for the Director of Football 😂. We've been shite my entire lifetime. How much more practice do you need before you can take the piss out of us properly ffs?

9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Ooooh a banner for someone at the club. Criminal. Does that mean everyone who has a banner in the stands has been elevated to "God-like status"?

Weren't you crying about us having those plastic flags a few weeks ago instead of having a bunch of different flags or banners instead? Make your mind up pal.

Like seriously, we're in the relegation zone, our fans are rabid over sacking over another manager and the best you can come up with is having a dig at the Godfather banner we have for the Director of Football 😂. We've been shite my entire lifetime. How much more practice do you need before you can take the piss out of us properly ffs?

Eh that's a bit touchy for someone just saying "I don't understand why they like him enough to have a banner."

I think in circumstances where you've got a manager under fire for what's happening on the pitch... it's understandable to question whether the Director of Football (who presumably had a hand in hiring him? - though idk how the timing of them joining the blueshites) would be questioned.

But like I said, on paper it looks like he's done a good job imo. But what happens on paper doesn't really matter as much as what's happening on the pitch.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

It was just an example of you lot overrating him. He can seem to do no wrong amongst a lot of you. I just find it strange how quickly you decided he was great. I give it until the summer until most of you turn on him. Evertonian's are good at that. 

Weird having a banner for a glorified scout anyway if you ask me

• Subscriber

You lot are properly impossible. I laid out a very reasoned argument about why Brands is rated highly by our fans including his biggest mistake this summer. I give one dig back and I'm "touchy". Whatever you say lads.

There aren't any Everton fans on here giving Brands god like status and if the best evidence you can provide is that there's a godfather banner for him at Goodison Park then I'm afraid you're going to have to do better than that. I'm sure there are Everton fans elsewhere that have given it large about how good he is but if that's the case and you want to debate that, go and debate it with them, not me.

I'm not being unreasonable, as usual, and just because there's about 6 of you on this forum and you go around upvoting each other's posts because you share the same Liverpool-tinted opinions doesn't actually make you automatically correct. All it does is make it incredibly tedious to try and debate with some of you on any matter where either of us has a vested interest. I actually don't know why I still bother sometimes.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

There aren't any Everton fans on here giving Brands god like status and if the best evidence you can provide is that there's a godfather banner for him at Goodison Park then I'm afraid you're going to have to do better than that. 

No offense, but a banner that's in the stands is probably better evidence of how more Everton fans think than what one reasonable Evertonian (you) says on a forum.

I don't even think we're debating with you on this. I legit have no idea how good Brands is at his job - and Mike just said he thought it was weird how popular he is and used the banner as an example.

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Eh that's a bit touchy for someone just saying "I don't understand why they like him enough to have a banner.

What point even is this? You lot are constantly on about our shite atmosphere and our fans being miserable twats (which is true) and how are fans will turn on Brands because Evertonians are good at that, but then we have limbs in the away end for winning in the cup you laugh because "it's Lincoln though, look at them hur hur hur" and now you think we shouldn't have a banner for a club employee because 'he hasn't done enough to earn it yet'. And these are all things that have been said on this forum too, not things that other Liverpool fans have said on Twitter or something that I'm projecting onto you.

Its genuinely confusing, the thing I dont understand is how you lads dont comprehend the hypocrisy to the extent that you think I'm being touchy for pointing it out.

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

You lot are properly impossible. I laid out a very reasoned argument about why Brands is rated highly by our fans including his biggest mistake this summer. I give one dig back and I'm "touchy". Whatever you say lads.

There aren't any Everton fans on here giving Brands god like status and if the best evidence you can provide is that there's a godfather banner for him at Goodison Park then I'm afraid you're going to have to do better than that. I'm sure there are Everton fans elsewhere that have given it large about how good he is but if that's the case and you want to debate that, go and debate it with them, not me.

I'm not being unreasonable, as usual, and just because there's about 6 of you on this forum and you go around upvoting each other's posts because you share the same Liverpool-tinted opinions doesn't actually make you automatically correct. All it does is make it incredibly tedious to try and debate with some of you on any matter where either of us has a vested interest. I actually don't know why I still bother sometimes.

I think I made some reasonable points on why the jury should still be out on him but you seemed to ignore them and just picked up on my example of the banner

9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

What point even is this? You lot are constantly on about our shite atmosphere and our fans being miserable twats (which is true) and how are fans will turn on Brands because Evertonians are good at that, but then we have limbs in the away end for winning in the cup you laugh because "it's Lincoln though, look at them hur hur hur" and now you think we shouldn't have a banner for a club employee because 'he hasn't done enough to earn it yet'. And these are all things that have been said on this forum too, not things that other Liverpool fans have said on Twitter or something that I'm projecting onto you.

Its genuinely confusing, the thing I dont understand is how you lads dont comprehend the hypocrisy to the extent that you think I'm being touchy for pointing it out.

I mean... it's a bit of a touchy response for defending a position that you have even said... isn't one you necessarily even hold, because as you said "have those debates with them, not with me." I just thought it was a completely out of character from you tbh, so that's what the point in that statement was.

And for the record, I wouldn't give you shit for fans going mental for winning in a cup match whether it's against us or Yeovil town. A win's a win, you can only beat what's in front of you in a cup match. And I'm surprised to hear people laughing about your fans celebrating a win from LFC fans on here.

But like... I see why @LFCMike thinks its weird there's a Marcel Brands banner considering his pretty short tenure. And I don't think that his comment was meant to be a slight on you, or Cannabis (where is he, btw?), or any other Evertonian on here (if there are any more) - just more he thinks it's funny you've got a banner for your sporting director. Also for the record, I don't think Evertonians always have a shite atmosphere. I just think they're too quick to start getting negative as fuck and booing everything, which probably creates a shit atmosphere for the Everton players themselves. But I've seen Goodison produce a good atmosphere, better than a shitload of other clubs in this country are capable of tbh.

Try being a Liverpool fan for a day if you get irritated about the shit that's said about you, that isn't really about you xD

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

Here let's make this a bit more something @RandoEFC would want to talk about, rather than us forcing him to defend positions of other people and feel like we're just picking on him for being an Everton fan - because that's shit and I don't want him to feel like I'm a collosal dickhead (well at least not all of the time).

So I've got a few of my family out here with me right now, including my Evertonian relatives, so there's been a whole lot of football discussion all week long since about Thursday last week. And one thing that they keep saying is, "Silva's reminding me of Roberto Martinez" - in that he's been stubborn about issues at Everton that clearly need addressing, but he wants to stick to his preferred system. The examples they gave were... the formation (they all really seem to hate 4231 formations), the set piece defending (strict zonal marking, no mix of man marking with the zonal marking), late substitutions that seem to do nothing (or make the side start looking more shit).

None of these are my positions... but I wanted to ask our resident Evertonian: do you agree with these criticisms of Silva?

Just for the record, none of my blueshite supporting family actually want Silva sacked. They just want to see him improve and be the manager they thought he was at the end of last season - and they all believe he's capable of improving over the course of the season. But they definitely have a number of criticisms they've leveled at him. And I just want to know if you agree with them - because generally speaking, you and I agree on a number of things (as long as it's not LFC/EFC related).

• Subscriber

I can't believe either of you think it's a credible argument to claim that "Everton fans have elevated Marcel Brands to godlike status" when the only evidence you've provided is that there's a Godfather banner with his face on it at Goodison Park. I've even met you halfway by outlining the reasons that he is highly rated by Everton fans and acknowledging the one fuck up he's made with regards to building this squad at centre half.

I dont get how I'm being touchy at all, you're making a criticism of an entire fanbase off a banner ffs. And maybe I'm overreacting but at least when people say shite about Liverpool theres like 6 of you to argue about it. When people come out with unfounded nonsense about my club I'm the only one here to try and set people straight, I try to be reasoned at all times but it gets difficult when the actions and words of other Everton fans that don't even post here get used against you whilst whenever I say anything remotely debatable or with blue-tinted glasses on I have an army of Reds descending upon me kicking off about it.

So yeah maybe I get irritable about it at times but christ almighty, how dare our fans demonstrate support for the new Director of Football with a banner and a few twitter accounts with his face as their profile picture before he's delivered the title and the Champions League? Tin pot stuff.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

And one thing that they keep saying is, "Silva's reminding me of Roberto Martinez" - in that he's been stubborn about issues at Everton that clearly need addressing, but he wants to stick to his preferred system. The examples they gave were... the formation (they all really seem to hate 4231 formations), the set piece defending (strict zonal marking, no mix of man marking with the zonal marking), late substitutions that seem to do nothing (or make the side start looking more shit).

None of these are my positions... but I wanted to ask our resident Evertonian: do you agree with these criticisms of Silva?

They are all valid criticisms except I would criticise the players more for the zonal marking issues because in the second half of last season they proved they could actually do it properly, didn't concede a set piece goal from February onwards and kept more clean sheets than everyone apart from Liverpool and City. It must be infuriating for Silva to have coached it into them properly only for it to go tits up again so far this season.

The 4231 is a pile of wank and I wish we'd go 433 which was apparently his preferred formation at Watford. The 4231 was pretty much needed with Gueye and Sigurdsson two of the first names on the team sheet last season, but now we have a load of midfielders who would fall into the category of being decent in all departments that could play in a midfield three better than playing a specific DM or AM role, Gbamin, Gomes, Delph and Davies all fall into this category and I dont see why Sigurdsson couldn't do a job in a more flexible three man midfield.

The substitutions I find hard to defend, I cant really remember him making real game changing substitutions. Usually he just makes straight swaps without changing a system that hasn't worked for 70 minutes.

So yeah it sounds like I'd agree with them.

• Upvote 2