talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

If Silva does get sacked my preference for his replacement from those who have been mentioned go like this:

1. Benitez or Arteta.

2. Any other unknown quantity that I can convince myself might be good.

3. Moyes until the end of the season.

4. Unsworth until the end of the season.

5. Literally any other person, dead or alive.

6. Mark Hughes.

xD

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Think you'd have a tough time convincing Benitez to work under a DoF

I don't think he's likely to enter negotiations for a number of reasons but I like to think if he did, that Marcel Brands would be more palatable than Mike Ashley.

Eddie Howe is due a step up at some point. Perhaps he has taken Bournemouth as far as he can go now and needs to look at someone like Everton, who have a bigger profile than Bournemouth.

Nuno would be a good shout too, he's done a great job at Wolves but I actually don't know if he'd choose to leave Wolves for Everton at this moment in time.

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Eddie Howe is due a step up at some point. Perhaps he has taken Bournemouth as far as he can go now and needs to look at someone like Everton, who have a bigger profile than Bournemouth.

Nuno would be a good shout too, he's done a great job at Wolves but I actually don't know if he'd choose to leave Wolves for Everton at this moment in time.

I'm not sure that's really the case for Eddie Howe, Bournemouth spend money and I don't see how he'd be an improvement on Marco Silva personally. Just benefits from being young, English and having the Bournemouth "fairytale" routine.

They've won about 2 games out of their last eleven...personally for Howe to be considered that good I'd say he'd need to do a job as similar to Pochettino or Koeman at Saints

They have no chance of getting Poch do they? Because if they could throw a lot of money at him, maybe they could convince him... even though he's probably looking at clubs like Bayern Munich and Real Madrid (before the CL final, he was staying stuff like "maybe I'll stay in Madrid after the final" - so I do think the wants a big job in Spain), but ya know... money talks.

Give Poch a long contract and back him, and he'll build Everton up - I have no doubt in my mind. But the question is... would Poch go them? Yeah he's just been sacked, but I'd say overall his stock and reputation are still pretty fucking high.

9 minutes ago, Danny said:

I'm not sure that's really the case for Eddie Howe, Bournemouth spend money and I don't see how he'd be an improvement on Marco Silva personally. Just benefits from being young, English and having the Bournemouth "fairytale" routine.

They've won about 2 games out of their last eleven...personally for Howe to be considered that good I'd say he'd need to do a job as similar to Pochettino or Koeman at Saints

Tbf, those benefits of being young, English and having the "fairytale" story are all pretty good traits when you're dealing with the media - and keeping the media singing your praises I think is a good way to buy some longevity at a club where there's a lot of work to be done and there may be setbacks on the way. I know Everton have been poor this season and have just come off the back of an inexcusable loss - but it does seem like Silva was pretty rapidly under pressure this season, after I think most Evertonians would say he'd done a pretty decent job in his first season. And I think both the manager and the squad have felt that pressure just grow and grow as the season get on.

And I think the media's been happy to not give Silva any excuses because to them... it really doesn't make a difference. A managerial sacking and new appointment is just more stories for them.

For a long-term project where you might not have things always go your way, and you may have periods of bad form, it might actually be good to have someone the media considers a darling at the club as a manager. It goes both ways though, because when Hodgson was at Liverpool and clearly not a good fit, we had the media constantly backing him and journos tweeting out how Liverpool fans were delusional and that we should just take looking like relegation battlers on the chin - sometimes the media keeps a man that shouldn't be keeping his job in.

I can't really defend Silva though - their form this season has been so poor considering how they ended the last season. It's probably around the right time to sack him.

I think Howe plays good football and has the media goodwill that has the makings of being able to come in and make changes with stability for a period of years. And he's an Everton fan.

• Subscriber

Pochettino's stock is very high. Why on earth would he go to Everton? With each manager that sinks at Everton every other prospective manager must think it's a bit of a minefield of a job. Eddie Howe however is an Everton fan so this may not bother him.

Arteta would be very interesting mind you.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They have no chance of getting Poch do they? Because if they could throw a lot of money at him, maybe they could convince him... even though he's probably looking at clubs like Bayern Munich and Real Madrid (before the CL final, he was staying stuff like "maybe I'll stay in Madrid after the final" - so I do think the wants a big job in Spain), but ya know... money talks.

Give Poch a long contract and back him, and he'll build Everton up - I have no doubt in my mind. But the question is... would Poch go them? Yeah he's just been sacked, but I'd say overall his stock and reputation are still pretty fucking high.

Tbf, those benefits of being young, English and having the "fairytale" story are all pretty good traits when you're dealing with the media - and keeping the media singing your praises I think is a good way to buy some longevity at a club where there's a lot of work to be done and there may be setbacks on the way. I know Everton have been poor this season and have just come off the back of an inexcusable loss - but it does seem like Silva was pretty rapidly under pressure this season, after I think most Evertonians would say he'd done a pretty decent job in his first season. And I think both the manager and the squad have felt that pressure just grow and grow as the season get on.

And I think the media's been happy to not give Silva any excuses because to them... it really doesn't make a difference. A managerial sacking and new appointment is just more stories for them.

For a long-term project where you might not have things always go your way, and you may have periods of bad form, it might actually be good to have someone the media considers a darling at the club as a manager. It goes both ways though, because when Hodgson was at Liverpool and clearly not a good fit, we had the media constantly backing him and journos tweeting out how Liverpool fans were delusional and that we should just take looking like relegation battlers on the chin - sometimes the media keeps a man that shouldn't be keeping his job in.

I can't really defend Silva though - their form this season has been so poor considering how they ended the last season. It's probably around the right time to sack him.

I think Howe plays good football and has the media goodwill that has the makings of being able to come in and make changes with stability for a period of years. And he's an Everton fan.

The media can suck Howe off as much as they like but it will all end the same imo, midtable failure after some hefty investment. His team conceded 61 goals last season and 70 before. Funnily enough they've only conceded 17 goals this season which so far which would average out to 51 by the end which wouldn't be bad but Howe is yet to prove himself imo

• Subscriber

The circus is still in town. Apparently Moyes was all set but Moshiri pulled the plug when he realised how much the fans would hate it. The Unsworth rumour was made up (at the time). Howe and Arteta under serious consideration. I've even seen a link today suggested Duncan Ferguson is being lined up as interim manager. Meanwhile, Silva has returned to Finch Farm today to take training.

Literally anyone could be in charge on Sunday.

7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The circus is still in town. Apparently Moyes was all set but Moshiri pulled the plug when he realised how much the fans would hate it. The Unsworth rumour was made up (at the time). Howe and Arteta under serious consideration. I've even seen a link today suggested Duncan Ferguson is being lined up as interim manager. Meanwhile, Silva has returned to Finch Farm today to take training.

Literally anyone could be in charge on Sunday.

It would be funny if Duncan Ferguson took over. His method of discipline would be to just headbut anyone who was late for training xD

• Haha 1

@RandoEFC loads of my blueshite mates are saying a new manager has been lined up (none of them are saying anything consistent regarding who that manager is, though) and that Silva's last match for Everton, win or lose, will be against us on Wednesday.

No idea if it's true or if it's just a rumour that's taken legs here. I guess we'll find out on Thursday, because apparently "win or lose" means even if you win 5-0 against us at Anfield, he's still a dead man walking. The worst thing I've heard about this is... Rafa is one of the names I've heard bandied about as Silva's replacement. And I would absolutely hate that.

Tbh though, I'm not sure I believe any of it. But I figure when I'm hearing this from loads of people, there's either something in it. Or it just shows how quickly rumours spread. You heard anything similar, or nah? 

18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@RandoEFC loads of my blueshite mates are saying a new manager has been lined up (none of them are saying anything consistent regarding who that manager is, though) and that Silva's last match for Everton, win or lose, will be against us on Wednesday.

No idea if it's true or if it's just a rumour that's taken legs here. I guess we'll find out on Thursday, because apparently "win or lose" means even if you win 5-0 against us at Anfield, he's still a dead man walking. The worst thing I've heard about this is... Rafa is one of the names I've heard bandied about as Silva's replacement. And I would absolutely hate that.

Tbh though, I'm not sure I believe any of it. But I figure when I'm hearing this from loads of people, there's either something in it. Or it just shows how quickly rumours spread. You heard anything similar, or nah? 

My cousin text me earlier, he said the same that rumours around Liverpool were that Silva is gone. No mention of Rafa though.

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

My cousin text me earlier, he said the same that rumours around Liverpool were that Silva is gone. No mention of Rafa though.

Think they're keeping Silva around just so the new manager's first match doesn't have to be at Anfield? Seems a bit fucked for Silva tbh, if even a good result against a side at the top of the league with a pretty decent gap between them and the next contenders won't even save his job.

The bleak despair around Everton/Evertonians right now is totally fucked tbh. Their subreddit is arguably the most depressing place on the internet right now.

• Upvote 1