talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Could it finally be Liverpool's year?

No, this is not one our native forum voodoo threads...

This is a genuine question and one I feel is for real.  With Manchester City focusing primarily on the Champions League this season (believe me, that's what they're doing), could this finally be the year Liverpool lay ancient ghosts to rest?

I believe this is their greatest chance yet even if Man City are on a different level to everyone in this league.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Danny said:

Chelsea will win it I think, but it'll be very close.

The truth is that you can already see Chelsea beginning to tick although they've got a long way to go before they're playing Sarri's real brand of football. What's evident is that Hazard has been feed as have the rest of the attackers.

For me Liverpool are complete and I am willing to put pressure on Klopp in saying that anything other than the runner's up slot would be failing this season.

• Subscriber

Backing Chelsea still has a feeling of left field about it but they do have a knack of weirdly winning titles when their team still looks far from complete.

For now, and I could easily be wrong, but I still see it as a Liverpool vs Man City scrap, and I think it could be decided by which team gets the most unwittingly distracted by a semi final or better Champions League run this year.

Obviously I'd rather Liverpool carried on not winning the title but to be honest I accepted it was going to happen after the "DIS DUZ NOT SLIP NOW WE GO AGEN" speech by the man himself Slippy Gee about five years ago and every day since that Liverpool have still not won the Premier League has been a good old bonus joke in itself, but with the entire media and FA behind them it's going to happen eventually anyway so I'll probably just concentrate on supporting my own team instead of playing into the stereotype of a massively rattled bitter Blue and worrying my arse off about whether they'll get it done or not.

Its too early to have a serious view on this. Certainly 4th would be a disappointment. Whether 3rd is seen as poor may depend on whether Chelsea or United play above what everyone expects. 

Consistency is where we've fallen down for 2 decades or more and you cant tell if that's fixed in 5 games.

We will know more after this zany run of fixtures in late September. 

How bloody brilliant is this though? ManCity, Tottenham, Chelsea, and Liverpool all play absolutely cracking football. Arsenal will probably kick off soon, and ManUtd are still shite. Doesn't matter what team will win this year, because it's shaping up very nicely.

23 minutes ago, Spike said:

How bloody brilliant is this though? ManCity, Tottenham, Chelsea, and Liverpool all play absolutely cracking football. Arsenal will probably kick off soon, and ManUtd are still shite. Doesn't matter what team will win this year, because it's shaping up very nicely.

Don't be silly, Spurs are not at that level and Arsenal will at least take a season to shake out the shit in their team.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Don't be silly, Spurs are not at that level and Arsenal will at least take a season to shake out the shit in their team.

I have literally no idea what you are on about. I said they play good football...

Just now, Spike said:

I have literally no idea what you are on about. I said they play good football...

My bad, thought you were suggesting they play good enough football to be in a title race, considering what the topic is about.

I'm not a massive fan of Spurs' football tbh, some good moves but generally comes across as direct and a bit boring at times. Obviously a lot more effective nowadays, but as an example the Spurs under Redknapp were a lot more exciting.

For me Sarri still hasn't encountered the obstacles of the English game yet in his first season and I know Conte had the same detail to overcome when he did in it his first year but there is a big difference in this which is why I'm mentioning it.

Antonio Conte is a pragmatic coach and if you're gonna get a type of coach that has a chance of winning big things when he's provided with top players, it's well ordered and disciplined pragmatism.

Maurizio Sarri like the usual suspects (suspects in terms of those coaches with a belief in the complexity of a beautiful game) believes in a philosophy and style of football.  Everyone saw it in Italy with Napoli and you have to be a brave brave man to compete in that league and try to get your footballer's to play pretty patterns on a pitch and win.  Once this season becomes a tense thick cloud of games and a jumble of fixtures where you don't know where you can rest players, then we can talk about Chelsea.  Sarri still hasn't even encountered that ridiculous handicapping worthless competition called the League Cup.

Jürgen Klopp knows about it all now...  He's lived it in his skin and failed in its thick swamp.  Klopp has no excuses and everyone needs expectancy and pressure to better something that's previously occurred!  Like I said... Anything other than runner-up in the Premier League would be disappointing considering the notable improvement in that squad.

8 hours ago, SirBalon said:

No, this is not one our native forum voodoo threads...

This is a genuine question and one I feel is for real.  With Manchester City focusing primarily on the Champions League this season (believe me, that's what they're doing), could this finally be the year Liverpool lay ancient ghosts to rest?

I believe this is their greatest chance yet even if Man City are on a different level to everyone in this league.

How can you be so certain City are focusing only on the CL? 

Everything Pep has said so far in press conferences etc suggests he's hell bent on winning back to back league titles (something City has never done) and the City fans seem to want that as well!

2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

To say Klopp is a failure if he doesnt win the league this year is ridiculous. I know you bum off the bald brat at man city but they are huge favourites, 100 points last year and the best squad by a country mile. 

Where have I said "failure if he doesn't win the league"?

I specifically said that the runner's-up spot should be seen as failing because some modem of pressure and betterment has to be expected.  Stagnant mediocrity year after year should be seen as unacceptable at a club that offer its coaches an improvement season after season with the tools to achieve those goals.

4 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

To say Klopp is a failure if he doesnt win the league this year is ridiculous. I know you bum off the bald brat at man city but they are huge favourites, 100 points last year and the best squad by a country mile. 

Liverpool and particularly Klopp, does seem to have ruffled Balons feathers lately it must be said. 

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

How can you be so certain City are focusing only on the CL? 

Everything Pep has said so far in press conferences etc suggests he's hell bent on winning back to back league titles (something City has never done) and the City fans seem to want that as well!

Because Pep Guardiola was employed by the owners of Manchester City with ONE goal.  That goal is to win the Champions League!  I know this because of those that have worked very closely with Guardiola both at Barcelona and Bayern talking about the reasons he took on that particular job and Pep's connections with that underworld that is the Gulf area.

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Liverpool and particularly Klopp, does seem to have ruffled Balons feathers lately it must be said. 

Putting pressure (something I'm sure you don't want) on a coach is ruffling feathers?

Tell me about something I specifically said (not like what Dodger invented) that's far fetched?

Just now, SirBalon said:

Where have I said "failure if he doesn't win the league"?

I specifically said that the runner's-up spot should be seen as failing because some modem of pressure and betterment has to be expected.  Stagnant mediocrity year after year should be seen as unacceptable at a club that offer its coaches an improvement season after season with the tools to achieve those goals.

Klopp HAS improved us season after season. 

Do you class 3 cup finals, including the Champions League, as well as qualifying for the CL in 2 consecutive seasons (something we hadn't done in a long time), whilst up against a a freak of a team like City, mediocrity?

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Because Pep Guardiola was employed by the owners of Manchester City with ONE goal.  That goal is to win the Champions League!  I know this because of those that have worked very closely with Guardiola both at Barcelona and Bayern talking about the reasons he took on that particular job and Pep's connections with that underworld that is the Gulf area.

That doesn't mean Pep will totally take his eye off the ball with regards to the league title mate. They broke the Premiere League record for points last season for Christ sake. 

Doesn't seem like he only wanted the Champions League to me?

Archived