• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Could it finally be Liverpool's year?

Recommended Posts

No, this is not one our native forum voodoo threads...

This is a genuine question and one I feel is for real.  With Manchester City focusing primarily on the Champions League this season (believe me, that's what they're doing), could this finally be the year Liverpool lay ancient ghosts to rest?

I believe this is their greatest chance yet even if Man City are on a different level to everyone in this league.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Danny said:

Chelsea will win it I think, but it'll be very close.

The truth is that you can already see Chelsea beginning to tick although they've got a long way to go before they're playing Sarri's real brand of football. What's evident is that Hazard has been feed as have the rest of the attackers.

For me Liverpool are complete and I am willing to put pressure on Klopp in saying that anything other than the runner's up slot would be failing this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Backing Chelsea still has a feeling of left field about it but they do have a knack of weirdly winning titles when their team still looks far from complete.

For now, and I could easily be wrong, but I still see it as a Liverpool vs Man City scrap, and I think it could be decided by which team gets the most unwittingly distracted by a semi final or better Champions League run this year.

Obviously I'd rather Liverpool carried on not winning the title but to be honest I accepted it was going to happen after the "DIS DUZ NOT SLIP NOW WE GO AGEN" speech by the man himself Slippy Gee about five years ago and every day since that Liverpool have still not won the Premier League has been a good old bonus joke in itself, but with the entire media and FA behind them it's going to happen eventually anyway so I'll probably just concentrate on supporting my own team instead of playing into the stereotype of a massively rattled bitter Blue and worrying my arse off about whether they'll get it done or not.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm note even gonna go into great detail in my answer. No. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Its too early to have a serious view on this. Certainly 4th would be a disappointment. Whether 3rd is seen as poor may depend on whether Chelsea or United play above what everyone expects. 

Consistency is where we've fallen down for 2 decades or more and you cant tell if that's fixed in 5 games.

We will know more after this zany run of fixtures in late September. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How bloody brilliant is this though? ManCity, Tottenham, Chelsea, and Liverpool all play absolutely cracking football. Arsenal will probably kick off soon, and ManUtd are still shite. Doesn't matter what team will win this year, because it's shaping up very nicely.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Spike said:

How bloody brilliant is this though? ManCity, Tottenham, Chelsea, and Liverpool all play absolutely cracking football. Arsenal will probably kick off soon, and ManUtd are still shite. Doesn't matter what team will win this year, because it's shaping up very nicely.

Don't be silly, Spurs are not at that level and Arsenal will at least take a season to shake out the shit in their team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Danny said:

Don't be silly, Spurs are not at that level and Arsenal will at least take a season to shake out the shit in their team.

I have literally no idea what you are on about. I said they play good football...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spike said:

I have literally no idea what you are on about. I said they play good football...

My bad, thought you were suggesting they play good enough football to be in a title race, considering what the topic is about.

I'm not a massive fan of Spurs' football tbh, some good moves but generally comes across as direct and a bit boring at times. Obviously a lot more effective nowadays, but as an example the Spurs under Redknapp were a lot more exciting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chelsea either win the league or come 10th. It's looking like a league ttle year for them. Hazard to get 30 goals this year and take the step up to best in the world and then move to Real Madrid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, annoyingly Chelsea seem to have their title head on. 

How they go from shit to great, season after season is really annoying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me Sarri still hasn't encountered the obstacles of the English game yet in his first season and I know Conte had the same detail to overcome when he did in it his first year but there is a big difference in this which is why I'm mentioning it.

Antonio Conte is a pragmatic coach and if you're gonna get a type of coach that has a chance of winning big things when he's provided with top players, it's well ordered and disciplined pragmatism.

Maurizio Sarri like the usual suspects (suspects in terms of those coaches with a belief in the complexity of a beautiful game) believes in a philosophy and style of football.  Everyone saw it in Italy with Napoli and you have to be a brave brave man to compete in that league and try to get your footballer's to play pretty patterns on a pitch and win.  Once this season becomes a tense thick cloud of games and a jumble of fixtures where you don't know where you can rest players, then we can talk about Chelsea.  Sarri still hasn't even encountered that ridiculous handicapping worthless competition called the League Cup.

Jürgen Klopp knows about it all now...  He's lived it in his skin and failed in its thick swamp.  Klopp has no excuses and everyone needs expectancy and pressure to better something that's previously occurred!  Like I said... Anything other than runner-up in the Premier League would be disappointing considering the notable improvement in that squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To say Klopp is a failure if he doesnt win the league this year is ridiculous. I know you bum off the bald brat at man city but they are huge favourites, 100 points last year and the best squad by a country mile. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SirBalon said:

No, this is not one our native forum voodoo threads...

This is a genuine question and one I feel is for real.  With Manchester City focusing primarily on the Champions League this season (believe me, that's what they're doing), could this finally be the year Liverpool lay ancient ghosts to rest?

I believe this is their greatest chance yet even if Man City are on a different level to everyone in this league.

How can you be so certain City are focusing only on the CL? 

Everything Pep has said so far in press conferences etc suggests he's hell bent on winning back to back league titles (something City has never done) and the City fans seem to want that as well!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

To say Klopp is a failure if he doesnt win the league this year is ridiculous. I know you bum off the bald brat at man city but they are huge favourites, 100 points last year and the best squad by a country mile. 

Where have I said "failure if he doesn't win the league"?

I specifically said that the runner's-up spot should be seen as failing because some modem of pressure and betterment has to be expected.  Stagnant mediocrity year after year should be seen as unacceptable at a club that offer its coaches an improvement season after season with the tools to achieve those goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

To say Klopp is a failure if he doesnt win the league this year is ridiculous. I know you bum off the bald brat at man city but they are huge favourites, 100 points last year and the best squad by a country mile. 

Liverpool and particularly Klopp, does seem to have ruffled Balons feathers lately it must be said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

How can you be so certain City are focusing only on the CL? 

Everything Pep has said so far in press conferences etc suggests he's hell bent on winning back to back league titles (something City has never done) and the City fans seem to want that as well!

 

Because Pep Guardiola was employed by the owners of Manchester City with ONE goal.  That goal is to win the Champions League!  I know this because of those that have worked very closely with Guardiola both at Barcelona and Bayern talking about the reasons he took on that particular job and Pep's connections with that underworld that is the Gulf area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they get over 100pts they will be in with a shot of beating us to it  ..we could of easy won 8-0 today, looking better than last season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Liverpool and particularly Klopp, does seem to have ruffled Balons feathers lately it must be said. 

Putting pressure (something I'm sure you don't want) on a coach is ruffling feathers?

Tell me about something I specifically said (not like what Dodger invented) that's far fetched?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SirBalon said:

Where have I said "failure if he doesn't win the league"?

I specifically said that the runner's-up spot should be seen as failing because some modem of pressure and betterment has to be expected.  Stagnant mediocrity year after year should be seen as unacceptable at a club that offer its coaches an improvement season after season with the tools to achieve those goals.

Klopp HAS improved us season after season. 

Do you class 3 cup finals, including the Champions League, as well as qualifying for the CL in 2 consecutive seasons (something we hadn't done in a long time), whilst up against a a freak of a team like City, mediocrity?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Because Pep Guardiola was employed by the owners of Manchester City with ONE goal.  That goal is to win the Champions League!  I know this because of those that have worked very closely with Guardiola both at Barcelona and Bayern talking about the reasons he took on that particular job and Pep's connections with that underworld that is the Gulf area.

That doesn't mean Pep will totally take his eye off the ball with regards to the league title mate. They broke the Premiere League record for points last season for Christ sake. 

Doesn't seem like he only wanted the Champions League to me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

If they get over 100pts they will be in with a shot of beating us to it  ..we could of easy won 8-0 today, looking better than last season

We should have put about 6 past Spurs to be fair B|

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Because Pep Guardiola was employed by the owners of Manchester City with ONE goal. 

Not true, he was employed to win everything!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LFCMadLad said:

We should have put about 6 past Spurs to be fair B|

I said before the season started you will be our main rival again   ..not convinced by Chelsea, they are not the same level as us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Putting pressure (something I'm sure you don't want) on a coach is ruffling feathers?

Tell me about something I specifically said (not like what Dodger invented) that's far fetched?

There's no pressure on Klopp whatsoever. The Liverpool fans absolutely adore the bloke and if we don't win the league then the Liverpool fans will still adore the bloke. 

He's been like a breath of fresh air and long may it continue, titles or not. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Klopp HAS improved us season after season. 

Do you class 3 cup finals, including the Champions League, as well as qualifying for the CL in 2 consecutive seasons (something we hadn't done in a long time), whilst up against a a freak of a team like City, mediocrity?

 

T H A T    I S   W H Y    I     S A I D... THERE HAS TO BE AN IMPROVEMENT FOR THIS SEASON

So what would you say that the end of this season constitutes as an improvement on the last?

(this space for your answer): _____________________________ .

Where have I said that Liverpool HAVE to win the Premier League?

The question to the thread: COULD IT FINALLY BE LIVERPOOL'S YEAR?

Is a question to the members to debate if THIS IS A POSSIBILITY.

In my posts (that's, the ones written by me) I said that the RUNNER'S-UP spot can surely be the minimum expectation after the consistent improvement observed by Klopp season by season.  Surely that isn't over the top, is it?

How does any of what I said constitute having my feathers ruffled by Klopp?

For god's sake! xD:dam:

I know you what it is....  It's you who doesn't want absolutely any pressure at all being put on your season.  But unfortunately in this particular world of high end football you can't just go around working freely by offering mediocrity in terms of final results (up and down motions) and not be questioned at least!  I'm not even saying Klopp should be sacked were he to finish fourth (for example). I'm only putting forward a point of reference in terms of something we all live by in life which is ACHIEVEMENT fuelled by EXPECTANCY. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@LFCMadLad Oh, and mate... In my previous post all those capitals and bolder words aren't shouting or anything of the sort.  It's directed at those that seem to be trying to put words I haven't said in my mouth (in my fingers to be exact)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

How can you be so certain City are focusing only on the CL? 

Everything Pep has said so far in press conferences etc suggests he's hell bent on winning back to back league titles (something City has never done) and the City fans seem to want that as well!

 

 

18 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Not true, he was employed to win everything!

Well said.

 

@SirBalon stating his opinion but writing as if it is a fact is a common trait in his posts and most lap it up. Pep was employed to win everything and Man City have a squad to compete on all fronts.

I think Man City will win the league by around 10 points. The starting 11s are close, but Man City's squad is far superior. If Robertson gets injured or needs resting, who is back up? Moreno Van Dijk gets injured? Matip or Gomez  Firminho injured? Sturridge or Solanke

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement