talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Burnley's Slow Start

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

They just aren't that good. Well organised but limited which is a combination which can send you as high as 7th and as low as 19th depending on momentum, and the last thing you want for momentum is to be playing long haul Europa League qualifiers in pre season (like Aberdeen :ph34r:).

• 1 month later...

Before, I get the 'it's Burnley' 'what do you expect?' comments. Dyche deserves a lot of credit for getting Burnley to where they are, the foundation of everything he has achieved is built upon a lot of good, core values. Hard work, organisation, motivation, discipline etc. The way in which Dyche has got the players on his side and demonstrating these values for significant periods deserves credit.

However, you only have to watch them a few times to see how one dimensional they are in their playing style. They also didn't invest enough in the summer and the little they spent wasn't spent wisely enough either. It's a club I feel that needed or needs a new lease of life from somewhere, whether that's investment in several new players or new ideas coming in from somewhere else. I guess their owner doesn't have the financial means to invest that heavily which was what the club needed in the summer after a very successful season to keep on moving. At board level there's that problem of investment but tactically they're also very dry which I'm surprised they have received more stick for. Their success particularly last season and the fact that with their style they can unsettle teams with better players and resources (which in itself is exciting to watch) is perhaps why.

• Subscriber

I agree they're a limited side. I think they'll be forever steady under Dyche but last year was probably as good as it was going to get for them, and without sounding bitter, I think they were quite fortunate too. While people said similar about us winning the league and the lack of competition, at least we kept winning games. Burnley went on a run of 11 without a win and didn't even drop a place. I think they're steady, but limited and won a lot of games last season that you wouldn't have expected them to. Even when they beat us at home for example I don't think they could've complained if we'd won comfortably and I don't even think we played that well.

• Subscriber
On 18/09/2018 at 18:55, ScoRoss said:

Must be struggling. Can't afford to pay for stewards...

And that is just absolutely ludicrous, and disgraceful given their turnover. No excuses what so ever for acting on the cheap when you're in this league.

The thing with Burnley is that if they go down they'll be well placed to come back up. They don't spend ridiculously, they've a manager who's an expert at getting out of the Championship now and they'll just do what they done before. If Burnley ever sack Dyche it will be difficult to get someone to replicate what he does because he's very methodical both short-term and long-term.

Ultimately though you want to see fresh and attacking sides in this division and Burnley aren't that.

20 hours ago, Danny said:

The thing with Burnley is that if they go down they'll be well placed to come back up. They don't spend ridiculously, they've a manager who's an expert at getting out of the Championship now and they'll just do what they done before. If Burnley ever sack Dyche it will be difficult to get someone to replicate what he does because he's very methodical both short-term and long-term.

Ultimately though you want to see fresh and attacking sides in this division and Burnley aren't that.

It's just not practical for teams on a small budget to do that. They have to be hard to beat. Most teams with small budget's who attack a lot get relegated

Archived