• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

West Ham 0-0 Chelsea - Sunday 23rd September

football forum

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

This has been one of the poorest games of the season.

West Ham playing with no 'natural' attackers and only bringing on Perez in 2nd half.  

Chelsea's quick pass-and-move style in the opposition half hasn't always come off mainly due to West Ham's defensive and midfield wall. 

Has made for quite an average game with no real moments of quality. Best moments have been Kepa saving from Antonio in the first half and Fabianski's face-save in the 2nd.

• The title was changed to West Ham 0-0 Chelsea - Sunday 23rd September

Learning curve for Sarri. No reason why so many starters played Thursday and no reason he left the changes so late. Not having Pedro cost us.  

That said, West Ham played well but they only really hurt us through our carelessness. This would of been a loss under Conte. 

Players are to blame too. Not one player bar Kepa had a good game. Slow and sloppy passes in dangerous areas, clumsy fouls, and firing blanks in the third. 

Thursday shouldn't be an excuse. We had more than enough to win. 3rd now and I think that's a fair evaluation of where we are currently. 

Even with Sarri Chelsea still far to over-reliant on Hazard to create anything, they're still lacking that creative spark in midfield. Kante also doesn't look comfortable as an 8, no idea why he is not playing his natural role. Still expect them to have a very strong season, too much quality not to.

11 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Jorginho has been quite poor today.

He was our best player today in my opinion despite being a bit sloppy in possession at times. Hazard being a disappointment and everyone else as well for us.

No idea why Sarri played such a strong team on Thursday and he was also poor with his subs as it was crying out for Cesc. Would have rather lost 6-0 on Thursday if it meant winning today. It’s points like these that add up at the end of the season and that we can’t afford to lose if we want to win the title. Wasn’t massively impressed with West Ham either, we had them struggling in the first 20 minutes because we played with good tempo, we stopped playing at the right pace and mentality and after that and it was a lot easier for them. Rudiger taking about 55 touches on the ball was one of the many examples of our poor quality on the ball today. The tempo today will piss Sarri off the most as it’s one of the key things he demands most and one of the essential parts of what makes his teams work. You can’t say he helped proceedings though with his selection on Thursday which didn’t help us today and it perhaps has had further consequences as well with Rudiger going off injured for example.

Replace my captain Salah with Hazard at 11:29 hours in Fantasy Football with a four point hit. Salah scores from two yards. Hazard forgets how to pass the ball two yards. Typical.

Hopefully this is the rocket Chelsea needed to remind them how to approach every game if they're going to keep up with City and Liverpool for the entire season. They looked a lot better in the last 20 or so minutes when they started to recognise the three points weren't guaranteed.

On a side note it looks like Pellegrini has found a system he can work with going forwards. I never saw Declan Rice as a central midfielder in a million years but it seems to be working. I wrote them off when I heard Arnautovic wasn't starting but with Yarmolenko's miss they were unlucky not to win. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

Replace my captain Salah with Hazard at 11:29 hours in Fantasy Football with a four point hit. Salah scores from two yards. Hazard forgets how to pass the ball two yards. Typical.

Hopefully this is the rocket Chelsea needed to remind them how to approach every game if they're going to keep up with City and Liverpool for the entire season. They looked a lot better in the last 20 or so minutes when they started to recognise the three points weren't guaranteed.

On a side note it looks like Pellegrini has found a system he can work with going forwards. I never saw Declan Rice as a central midfielder in a million years but it seems to be working. I wrote them off when I heard Arnautovic wasn't starting but with Yarmolenko's miss they were unlucky not to win. 

I did the same xD. Not that late but the same change. Frustrating.

22 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

That's the thing mate, we wont. Bar the fact we are in transition, Liverpool and City's front three are elite. 

Today highlighted the over reliance of Hazard. When he's underperforming, we have no one else to step up. Pedro unfortunately is injured and arguably shouldn't of played Thursday. 

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The slow motion replay of Morata shooting it into Fabianski’s face is so far the best part of this match.

It’s weird for the second week in a row I’m wanting West Ham to get a result.

And I would like to see them relegated.... 

We didn't do anywhere near enough and again we lack that creative spark in the final third that could unlock games like these... A lot of our passing was obvious and easily cut out and we shot at goal when we should have passed and vice versa and it cost us... A game where possession meant nothing at the end of the day because we couldn't do anything but pass the ball around for 90 minutes.. 

Did I mention I wouldn't mind seeing West Ham go down?? 

Considering Hazard was rested on Thursday he seemed a little sluggish today by his standards.. We were very sloppy at times and just kept snatching wildly at chances when they came.. again no composure at times like Willians effort.. He just blasted it and don't even get me started on that poor headed effort by Luiz.. Still, could have been worse, West Ham missed an absolute sitter and I still don't know how that never went in.. There will be more games like this along the way I am sure but when you have to bring Morata on to try and get all 3 points you just know it's not going to be our day.. He still couldn't score at point blank range and that was against West Ham who I hope finish in the bottom 3 

Liverpool next, Cup & League, that should be interesting simply because Liverpool won't be banking up in a defensive shell hoping to nick one on the break, Should be goals for sure and in the League at least our first real tester.. 

Overall an average game from us, we created enough to score, but also could have easily conceded through Antonio and Yarmolenko. We are very poor at defending counters, Luiz being piss isn't helping. Kante is too far up he isn't even using his best cover option. From the positives we did create chances again, and mostly were in control due to heavy possession. Negatives no plan B and we were defensively poor again, the game on saturday will show our current capabilities. When the season started i would be pleased with top four and a odd cup run, to be with five wins and a draw at the start of the season i can just be pleased. Sarri needs time to gel things out, thankfully we have reasonable fans who will never hate on a team that draws a tough game. I wonder what mayhem would come if we started the season like West Ham. Hopefully a very mixed team against Liverpool on Wednesday.

Hazard, Giroud, and Willian all like to come towards the ball vs make runs away from it. This hurts us immensely against teams that sit back. Having no direct players on the pitch will always hurt us in creating chances. 

We miss Pedro. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived