talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Renato Sanches Compared to Lothar Matthäus

Niko Kovac says Renato Sanches has similar qualities to Lothar Matthaus after the Bayern Munich midfielder's performance against Benfica.

The 21-year-old sealed Bayern's 2-0 victory at Benfica on Wednesday with a goal against the club where he played for a decade before moving to the German club for £27.5m in 2016.

However, the Portugual midfielder has struggled to tie down a regular first-team spot since his move and endured a tough time on loan at Swansea City last season.

Bayern coach Kovac restored Sanches to the side for Wednesday's match, and following the victory in Portugal said: "Renato has an exceptionally good technique, very good speed and a great body.

"It's true that people fly off him left and right - just like they used to do with Lothar Matthaus.

"I'm delighted for Renato - I said yesterday that he was excellent in pre-season and it wouldn't be long before he plays."

Former Bayern Munich midfielder Matthaus, who captained Germany to the 1990 World Cup title and won the Ballon d'Or in the same year, added to the plaudits for Sanches.

"These are the kind of stories that football writes. He looks in shape and crowned his performance with a goal," he said.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again, people in this thread missing Kovac's point completely. Not only is he trying to build up his confidence like 6666 said, but he is also comparing player strengths. The word "compare" doesn't directly mean that he's comparing level or standard.

• Subscriber

I like how people take his comments literally, at least not everyone missed the plot. Whats he supposed to say "Renato has been shit since we signed him, he had a terrible time on loan and failed to make an impact on any pitch in the last two seasons and will never amount to anything ever" At the very least Kovac is trying to motivate him, Sanches likely has this season to prove something otherwise he will be off.

• Administrator
23 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

I like how people take his comments literally, at least not everyone missed the plot. Whats he supposed to say "Renato has been shit since we signed him, he had a terrible time on loan and failed to make an impact on any pitch in the last two seasons and will never amount to anything ever" At the very least Kovac is trying to motivate him, Sanches likely has this season to prove something otherwise he will be off.

I understand wanting to build someone’s confidence, but that doesn’t validate the comparison. The comparison is lazy and for a player of clearly low confidence, adds more pressure. Kovac could just as easily boost his confidence without the reference to Matthaus. It’s clearly down as a means to legitimize the comment. But like I said. It’s lazy. 

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Batard said:

I understand wanting to build someone’s confidence, but that doesn’t validate the comparison. The comparison is lazy and for a player of clearly low confidence, adds more pressure. Kovac could just as easily boost his confidence without the reference to Matthaus. It’s clearly down as a means to legitimize the comment. But like I said. It’s lazy. 

Yeah that's fair.

Archived