talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Óscar Tabárez Signs A New Contract Until 2022

football forum

He will be 75 by the next World Cup...

I think this is a poor decision on all accounts. The man is clearly unhealthy and I think for him it is best that he retires. Good on him to have the passion to continue, but I think its for his own good that he retires.

As for a Uruguay point of view, I also don't think this is a good move as they have stagnated with Tabarez and it was the right moment to bring somebody younger with fresh ideas, especially with all the U20 talent Uruguay have.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Is ther honestly nothing else available in Uruguay?  This guy has managed to put by the wasteside some incredible generations.  They don well in the 2010 and this last World Cup but maybe (more than probably) they could've done better.

To be fair, that's 66% of the World Cup's he's done well in.

There is a plethora of options too. Most Uruguayan managers I have seen follow the classic Uruguayan formula of being dull and unattractive. There is Diego Aguirre, Gus Poyet, Gerardo Pelusso, Jorge Fossati. You could also gamble and bring in past successful managers from Peñarol, Nacional and Defensor Sporting. Even Fabian Coito who was the interim coach for the friendlies and managed the U20's the last few years.

This reminds me of the Wenger situation, the federation seems too scared to bring anyone else.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

To be fair, that's 66% of the World Cup's he's done well in.

There is a plethora of options too. Most Uruguayan managers I have seen follow the classic Uruguayan formula of being dull and unattractive. There is Diego Aguirre, Gus Poyet, Gerardo Pelusso, Jorge Fossati. You could also gamble and bring in past successful managers from Peñarol, Nacional and Defensor Sporting. Even Fabian Coito who was the interim coach for the friendlies and managed the U20's the last few years.

This reminds me of the Wenger situation, the federation seems too scared to bring anyone else.

He seems to be a football god over there.

3 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

xD wtf cares about his age? The guy is clearly the perfect choice to continue as the coach. I said it since the end of the WC, thank God the Uruguayan federation didn't pay attention to the opinions of twitter journalists who act like they know it all. xD

A lot of people actually. Getting old is the reason a lot of people retire from the workplace.

Not that you would understand given you think Bianchi and Basile is a good choice for Argentina.

Archived