talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ernesto Valverde Unsure of Future

Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde has admitted he is not sure if he will still be in charge of the team next season.

Valverde's contract with Barca expires at the end of the current campaign and he revealed on Saturday he has an option to extend the deal by another year.

"I have a contract and I have a possibility to extend it a year more," said Valerde, who took over the reins from Luis Enrique at the Nou Camp in 2017.

"The contract is there but we know what can happen in a season and the season is long. You have to see how the team does.

"Everything seems good but we are still in the month of September and we have a lot ahead."

Coaches like Pep Guardiola and Enrique have left Barca in recent years after citing the fatigue.

"I don't know about exhaustion or anything like that," Valverde added. "We are still in September, there is plenty of room to feel exhausted, it is only just beginning."

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barça is a very demanding club to coach. Not only do you have to win but also you have to get the team to play well. Winning in a practical manner gets you uniform criticism which has occurred already twice at this very early start to the campaign. 

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

Barça is a very demanding club to coach. Not only do you have to win but also you have to get the team to play well. Winning in a practical manner gets you uniform criticism which has occurred already twice at this very early start to the campaign. 

Is it true that when you manage Barcelona you have to play good football the Barcelona way and you can't change it?

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Is it true that when you manage Barcelona you have to play good football the Barcelona way and you can't change it?

Do you mean the Viv Buckingham or Johan Cruyff way? They set the pillars in place for the style of football held in high esteem

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

As @Batard says, it's the standard that has to be the basis of how the team plays but then there are variations.  It does actually go back to before Cruyff at Barcelona but since Cruyff the foundations from the academy upwards has had that as its philosophy.  

1 hour ago, Batard said:

Do you mean the Viv Buckingham or Johan Cruyff way? They set the pillars in place for the style of football held in high esteem

;)

Indeed and a lot of people forget or don't know about Vic Buckingham and his influence.  

• Administrator
1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

As @Batard says, it's the standard that has to be the basis of how the team plays but then there are variations.  It does actually go back to before Cruyff at Barcelona but since Cruyff the foundations from the academy upwards has had that as its philosophy.  

;)

Indeed and a lot of people forget or don't know about Vic Buckingham and his influence.  

I read about Buckingham about a decade ago. Quite the footballing man and I’m sure many people would be shocked to know that an English man laid the foundations for total football 

10 minutes ago, Batard said:

I read about Buckingham about a decade ago. Quite the footballing man and I’m sure many people would be shocked to know that an English man laid the foundations for total football 

He found it difficult to implement anything of the sort in England. 

Archived