talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

La Liga - Week 6 Fixtures - 25th-27th September 2018

football forum

• Administrator

Finished 3-0 Sevilla. Haven't seen Real dominated like that in a while. They were very poor by their standards. Sevilla battered them and got the job done first half. Capitalised on Marcelo's attacking nature by releasing Navas down that right hand side.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Stan said:

Finished 3-0 Sevilla. Haven't seen Real dominated like that in a while. They were very poor by their standards. Sevilla battered them and got the job done first half. Capitalised on Marcelo's attacking nature by releasing Navas down that right hand side.

I've seen RM's midfield getting dominated quite a few times, but usually the teams that managed to do so didn't have the individual class to create/convert enough chances. Valencia on the other hand were pretty ruthless in the first half.

How people can rate Marcelo as one of the great left backs is hilarious. It seems that the modern football fan is so forward minded that they forget all else.  He isn't just bad defensively, he's actually absolutely crap in that area of his duties.

Barcelona's display today is more worrying because it was against Leganés, but I haven't seen Real Madrid totally dominated like this in La Liga (except against Barcelona most times) for donkeys years.

Didn't see the Barcelona game yesterday, but it doesn't surprise me that they are on a run like this. When I saw them against PSV they were very poor for the standard they should be at. Misplaced passes, slow off the ball movements. You can see flashes of them being able to play lovely football but I think Valverde's style is holding them back. On the other hand, I did see them against Girona and even with 10 men they should be winning that.

4 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Both teams losing in the same day in the league. When did that last happen? Cba searching.

All of the big 3 have lost a game each already, surprising start to the season!

The last time both clubs lost their respective games on the same day in La Liga was 4 years ago.  Barça lost 1-0 to Real Sociedad at Anoeta and Real Madrid lost away 2-1 to Valencia at Mestalla.

After that round of games Real Madrid led the table with 39 points with Barcelona one point behind on 38 points.  As we all know, Luis Enrique's Barcelona went onto do the treble that particular season with La Liga, Copa del Rey and Champions League.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Didn't see the Barcelona game yesterday, but it doesn't surprise me that they are on a run like this. When I saw them against PSV they were very poor for the standard they should be at. Misplaced passes, slow off the ball movements. You can see flashes of them being able to play lovely football but I think Valverde's style is holding them back. On the other hand, I did see them against Girona and even with 10 men they should be winning that.

Barça were absolutely awful yesterday.  I can honestly say I haven't seen such a sterile performance from them since the game against Roma last season at the Stadio Olimpico in the Champions League.  The difference being that Roma were a much better side than this Leganés side (obviously)... What I mean is that Leganés didn't even play particularly well yesterday, that's how bad Barcelona were.  In La Liga I haven't seen a performance like that in many many years which is incredible considering there have been plenty of defeats during that time.  Take for example over the past three years Celta destroying Barça at Balaídos with big scorelines but the performances by Barcelona weren't as bad as the scorelines suggested.  That's how bad!

Valverde himself said yesterday that the performance was more worrying than the result.

19 hours ago, SirBalon said:

That was horrendous from Barça where Leganés didn’t even have to play particularly well to win. The Barcelona based media are really going to go to town on this performance because it’s not about the result. You can lose, but you can’t perform in that manner if you’re a Barcelona player. 

The only real worry from yesterday though is that Pique still plays in the side. It was a woeful performance but at 1-0, there is always chance of nicking another and seeing out what was a very scrappy game. It was always going to be scrappy and in games like that, you have to keep clean sheets. You get games like this but you still need to grind out the win. Up until the Girona game, I thought the performances were very good and getting better to be honest, although you can't always play your best football when coming up against gritty, relegation battler type sides in small grounds.

Pique's lost Barcelona 5 points within 3 days. He's an absolute liability and it's lucky Real lost yesterday.

Thing is, he's a class footballer, just not a defender I'm afraid.

The goal itself was brilliant though, he never scores the simple ones Coutinho.

24 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

The only real worry from yesterday though is that Pique still plays in the side. It was a woeful performance but at 1-0, there is always chance of nicking another and seeing out what was a very scrappy game. It was always going to be scrappy and in games like that, you have to keep clean sheets. You get games like this but you still need to grind out the win. Up until the Girona game, I thought the performances were very good and getting better to be honest, although you can't always play your best football when coming up against gritty, relegation battler type sides in small grounds.

Pique's lost Barcelona 5 points within 3 days. He's an absolute liability and it's lucky Real lost yesterday.

Thing is, he's a class footballer, just not a defender I'm afraid.

The goal itself was brilliant though, he never scores the simple ones Coutinho.

Indeed Piqué was absolutely crap in both games where Barça have dropped points. Funnily enough it could’ve been 6 points dropped and if it wasn’t for Piqué it also would’ve been that.

For me the centre of defence should be Lenglet and Umtiti. But who’s gonna be brave enough to drop Gerard?

Just now, SirBalon said:

Indeed Piqué was absolutely crap in both games where Barça have dropped points. Funnily enough it could’ve been 6 points dropped and if it wasn’t for Piqué it also would’ve been that.

For me the centre of ddfence should be Lenglet and Umtiti. But who’s gonna be brave enough to drop Gerard?

This is why I think he's a class player, as he can get you back into the game, he has a massive presence in a side, although unfortunately he has a habit of making terrible errors, which prove to be costly.

2 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

This is why I think he's a class player, as he can get you back into the game, he has a massive presence in a side, although unfortunately he has a habit of making terrible errors, which prove to be costly.

Piqué's low football points have occurred when is head has been turned towards other things outside football. Right now he's building an empire in sport and online and this has coincided with some erratic performances not only for Barcelona but also in the World Cup for Spain.

When he's been on song and totally focused on his football there are very few better all round technical defenders in the world of football.  For me he should call it a day even though in real terms and for the position he plays in he theoretically has many years still in his locker.

• The topic was unpinned

Madrid falling at the first hurdle of two big tests. Three points separating the top six at the moment. I imagine this league will be more competitive than The Premier League this season.

I'm surprised Valencia are absolutely nowhere to be seen. After the squad they shaped I expected them to be competing for fourth place.

9 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Madrid falling at the first hurdle of two big tests. Three points separating the top six at the moment. I imagine this league will be more competitive than The Premier League this season.

I'm surprised Valencia are absolutely nowhere to be seen. After the squad they shaped I expected them to be competing for fourth place.

They were class last season, haven't lost any players, have strengthened on top of that, kept Marcelino and have a solid team. What's happening with them? Everything is there for them to succeed now.

They have become one of those clubs who constantly underperform. Then again, you could say they have always been that way. Why they are the 3rd/4th most successful club in Spain, you can't help think but they could have done even more during their existence as a club, especially in European competitions.

20 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Piqué's low football points have occurred when is head has been turned towards other things outside football. Right now he's building an empire in sport and online and this has coincided with some erratic performances not only for Barcelona but also in the World Cup for Spain.

When he's been on song and totally focused on his football there are very few better all round technical defenders in the world of football.  For me he should call it a day even though in real terms and for the position he plays in he theoretically has many years still in his locker.

In terms of technical ability and attacking ability(for a defender), there aren't many(if any) that I would take over him. However, his proneness to commit errors lets him(and the team) down big time. He was brilliant in the last treble winning side and the season after it though and was also brilliant for a few seasons under Pep. As you said, when things are going on outside of football it seems to have a negative impact on his game.

It's a shame, as you can't get more Barcelona than Pique. If there is such thing as 'Barça DNA', then he is one of the players who truly do have it.

7 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

They were class last season, haven't lost any players, have strengthened on top of that, kept Marcelino and have a solid team. What's happening with them? Everything is there for them to succeed now.

They have become one of those clubs who constantly underperform. Then again, you could say they have always been that way. Why they are the 3rd/4th most successful club in Spain, you can't help think but they could have done even more during their existence as a club, especially in European competitions.

I loved them in the mid naughties. When they had Villa, Vicente, Morientes, Arbeloa, the whole starting eleven was class. Made kids cry on PES for years with that team. Then Joaquin was an expensive mistake, Zigic wasn't the golden egg expected, Sunny amounted to nothing and it all went to shit.

The squad now should be a fourth placed club. The fact they're failing makes me think there's a mental barrier that they need to get over, and probably won't.

Archived