talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Carabao Cup 2018/19 - Third Round Match Chat

football forum

• Subscriber

Everton in losing winnable home tie in the League Cup shocker. Lost count of the number of times I've listened to Snodin and thingy commentate on us getting knocked out of the League Cup on the website radio channel. Classic us.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
23 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Not arsed in the slightest.

Could have been a realistic chance to win some silverware, no?

Or is it pinning everything on 7th place and FA Cup?

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

There's silverware and there's the Carabao Cup. It's a Mickey mouse cup, everyone knows that. I just couldn't see myself rimming off to it. 

Give me 7th and a few European nights anyday.

but finishing 7th and winning the League Cup gets you to the same place i.e. Europa League qualifying. 

Is it not better for a club like Everton to have some silverware to show for it ultimately?

• Subscriber

If we win nothing again this season which is basically nailed on now and probably already was anyway, that's 24 years without a non-transfer window related trophy for us.

We've got into Europe through the League about 7 or 8 times in the last 15 years or so and got what to show for it? A few good memories admittedly but basically one bitter Colina/Villarreal memory and a load of piss poor Europa League performances that have never seen us seriously threaten the latter stages.

I've had more to celebrate as a Cambridge fan in the 25 years I've been alive (the FA Trophy) than I have as an Everton fan. Does my fucking head in how we always seem to get knocked out of the League Cup through sub par performances where the players don't perform to their best and hardly ever by a superior team apart from the semi final year against Man City and last season against Chelsea.

The League Cup might be a mickey mouse cup but a club like us, Leicester, Bournemouth, Palace who aren't getting top four and aren't getting relegated should really be playing the strongest side in the cup and rotating in the league if needs be. Sure not many people are going to give a shit or start taking notice of Everton if we win the League Cup but like fuck does anyone give a shit at all if we get 8th instead of 9th by resting players at this stage of the season and compromising one of the three tournaments we enter all season and the only one where we might have a vaguely realistic chance of getting to the latter stages with a bit of luck.

Say the same thing every season though and guaranteed that this time next year I'm saying the same thing when Everton Under 23s plus Stekelenberg, Jagielka and Coleman lose 2-1 at home to Swansea.

Never understood that, either. I know that the financial remuneration for a seventh place finish is significantly higher than what a Cup Final earns you as a club but even as an owner or chairman, surely you’d want something tangible to measure your time there by above a seventh place finish in the Premier League? Surely as an owner you’d be wanting to be partly responsible for breaking the barren spell at the club?

Everton aren’t going down and most years are probably regarded between about the sixth and eighth best team in the Premier League, so why they’re resting players in the Third Round of the Whatever Daft Sponsor Has It Cup at the start of October when they have no European Football is a strange one for me. 

Looking at the winners of both this and the FA Cup over the past ten or so years it is usually a big team, but some of the sides that have got to both finals are probably deemed considerably smaller clubs than Everton, with Everton reaching one final in both competitions in the past ten years. 

• Subscriber

It's not so much that we've rested players, more given a chance to squad players, but the point still stands, play full strength in the cup and give your Lookmans and Dowells minutes in the league the weekend after.

Easier said than done though. If a manager does that and we drop points in the League they get slated anyway. Indeed, Moyes rested loads of players on a midweek Anfield derby one season ahead of an FA Cup quarter final game at the weekend and got slated for it, though to be fair people probably would have accepted it if it wasn't the derby.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived