talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Should Travelling Fans Get Refunds After A Heavy Defeat?

football forum

Was reading about this earlier. Basically, Bristol City's players are refunding their 300 or so fans that travelled to Preston North End to see them 5-0. I read an article earlier that said that this is another reason why modern football is rubbish because fans shouldn't get refunds because when they purchase their tickets they know there's a possibility their team could lose the game. 

So should clubs/players be refunding travelling fans for heavy losses?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one should, you do it to support your team not to claim a refund when you don't win. But it is a show of respect from the clubs when it happens so nothing against players and clubs doing it.

Fans should never expect it. They know the risks when purchasing the ticket. However, if the club does it on their own accord, than good for them.

Did Arsenal supporters get refunds from their trip to Munich? :134_spy:

It's a nice gesture and I think there are certain cases when it's appropriate, Sunderland losing 8-0 at Southampton a recent one. 

Fans will start demanding them if clubs threw them out after most bad results.  I've seen us take some beatings on the road but the only time I've been refunded was because we missed half the game at City due to traffic problems. 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, ATL said:

Fans should never expect it. They know the risks when purchasing the ticket. However, if the club does it on their own accord, than good for them.

Did Arsenal supporters get refunds from their trip to Munich? :134_spy:

This is the thing for me. The expectation. There should be no obligation for clubs to do it but it's a nice 'good will' gesture that they do do it. A way of rewarding fans who have travelled several miles only for the players/staff not to put any kind of effort it to stop such a heavy defeat.

Personally, I wouldn't want financial 'compensation' because I bought it knowing the risk and probability of a loss, as the Bristol City fans did when they bought tickets to watch their team against Preston North End, a team on the fringes of the play-off's. It's become almost an expectation that teams do something after a heavy away loss these days and I don't get why and I don't agree with it. 

Personally, I'd rather see my team have reacted to such a defeat in the club's next game than get my money back. 

I think it's the right thing to do in some cases - of course there's always the risk when purchasing the ticket but if you're travelling all the way up the country on a weeknight you expect some kind of effort/performance.

It's the correct thing to do on this occasion in my opinion.

This is fast becoming another part of modern football and it's shite. Fans shouldn't get compensated IMO and I'd not want to be if/when Orient lose heavily away. It's part of supporting a Football club, not returning quinoa to Waitrose. Next teams will ask fans to pay extra when their team wins heavily away. 

Football clubs are supposed to be community initiative not some Thatcherite concept of business morals.

I'm all for financially punishing players when they get hammered as a consequence of not giving a shit. Getting hammered because the opposition is much much better is different. Anyone whose team gets hammered a lot knows you can easily tell the difference.

Footballers serve us, serve our community. We don't serve them. It's not some ordinary job and consumer habit it's supposed to be a privallage.

We are not consumers we are a community.

• Subscriber

Absolutely not. It creates a culture of entitlement and expectancy.

I pay for a ticket totally aware of the possibility we will get whacked. You're setting a very dodgy precedent by giving people refunds when you get slapped. I'd much rather just not get slapped in the first place.

Keep your money and get working on the next game.

Saying that prices absolutely have to come down. Progress has been made in this area but there's a way to go yet.

Archived