talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Barcelona Redesign Their Club Crest

football forum

1538070147038.jpg

FC Barcelona have redisigned their club crest to bring it upto date in the new minimalist era. The changes are quite subtle but clean the badge up by eliminating outlines and widening the blaugrana (red and blue). Plus also the Cross of Saint George is more prominent with a partitioning outline along the border (the only outlining.

Here are the 7 major differences;

img_hnavarro_20180927-200253_imagenes_md

1. The club acronym FCB is eliminated.
  2.  The Blue & Red lines become wider and more prominent with them also becoming longer vertically.
  3. Again a change in the Blue & Red lines which go down from seven to five which is the authentic amount in the new crest.
  4. The Football in the centre of the blue & red lines moves slightly higher and becomes bigger.
  5. All the black Outlining within the badge is eliminated making it a cleaner minimalist approach like in the new Atlético Madrid crest.
  6. The Gold colour surrounding and separating the three sections changes to Yellow.
  7. The colours within the three sections continue the Three Points, Centre and Bottom instead of being rounded off.

The changes the FC Barcelona Crest has seen since the club's foundation in 1899.

640x360_historia_escut.1317115158_02.v13

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like something out of Microsoft word art or some shit. Very generic looking, too clean, and it was obviously designed on a computer so it is easy to mass produce the badge as a lot of the embroidered line work has been removed. A lot like the new Atleti crest (and even the Chelsea and Arsenal crests as well), it lacks that hand-crafted human touch.

A downgrade.

I actually like it - I'll have to get used to not having the FCB on it but sometimes plain logos can be the best. I began to get bored of the 2002 badge to be honest.

We all know what "revolutionary" and months of work badges look like...

40bd13b8ee6fd9816e9a944d0af11b15.png

11 minutes ago, Spike said:

It looks like something out of Microsoft word art or some shit. Very generic looking, too clean, and it was obviously designed on a computer so it is easy to mass produce the badge as a lot of the embroidered line work has been removed. A lot like the new Atleti crest (and even the Chelsea and Arsenal crests as well), it lacks that hand-crafted human touch.

A downgrade.

Yeah, club crests in general have been going down that route for years now. Look at the Juventus crest (not really a crest anymore, but a single letter) which is now just the letter ‘J’. On the Arsenal crest I preferred the previous one but as you say, alot of embroidery work is eliminated this way.

But one of the main reasons they do this is down to trademark rights more than anything.

The major difference we see in this new Barcelona badge is the elimination of FCB for the first time since the original in 1899 which was in actual fact the coat of arms of the city of Barcelona. Also not forgetting during the Franco period where the club was forced to turn FCB into CFB so as to Castillianise it and eliminate its English origins.  

This look is more 'on trend' tbf, the more I look at the 2002 one and this.. I now see that as 'dated', funny how that works. It's normal if you look back at club crests, that they will change depending on the times they're in, so nothing new. Every major company has now redesigned their font and general branding to be minimalistic, so it's natural for football clubs to follow suit if you look at the bigger picture.

Yeah I don't see much wrong with changing crests, it's been done several times per club since they were invented.

I like the look of this one even if it's a bit simple. But with that said I do like the classic looking ones with more on show, like Arsenal's old one.

3 hours ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Why they removed the crown ? Did it represented some royaleness ?

Like I answered Spike, that very first club crest was the club taking on the mantel of representation of the city. That crest from 1899 to 1910 is the coat of arms of the city of Barcelona. It was in 1910 when the club first designed their own club crest.

A crown on a football club crest when it's accompanied by "Real" is acknowledgment from the Royal family.  For example Barcelona's city rival Espanyol are a royalist club as they are RCD Espanyol (RCD = Real Club Deportivo).

15 hours ago, Blue said:

I actually like it - I'll have to get used to not having the FCB on it but sometimes plain logos can be the best. I began to get bored of the 2002 badge to be honest.

We all know what "revolutionary" and months of work badges look like...

40bd13b8ee6fd9816e9a944d0af11b15.png

I feel sorry for the Leeds United fans... Such a legendary football club and they get that badge!  Whoever had the power to choose that should be put in prison.

@Lucas

55 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Destroying la masia with each transfer and now the crest... When will the real cules rebel against this constant destruction of the Barcelona I use to respect ? Sad times, no wonder I watch college football more.     

I have no idea what the club crest change has to do with La Masia.  The club crest has changed 10 times before this new change (11 now) throughout history... This is to do with the club's trademark rights and also keeping the club aesthetically in tune with changing fashions.  You'll' note that during the 1920's to the 1930's the club had an Art-Deco type structure to their club crest and anyone that knows fashions and architecture will now understand what this simple change is all about.

Did Atlético Madrid, Juventus, Cagliari, Arsenal, Machester City (they've had a few recently) etc... renounce on their traditional values because of the change?  No is the answer.

There's also an interesting situation regarding this that's yet to be observed which is due to the fact FC Barcelona being owned by the fans (not like your PLCs which Man Utd is one of those), the change will be put to the socios in a vote because as of yet it isn't official.  Never before have the socios voted against a crest change as they understand that these things are down to aesthetics, but they will decide whether or not it becomes official. The Culés will decide mate! ;)

1 hour ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Destroying la masia with each transfer and now the crest... When will the real cules rebel against this constant destruction of the Barcelona I use to respect ? Sad times, no wonder I watch college football more.     

You've never respected Barcelona mate. I've known you about 10 years and you have always hated the club. Xavi, Iniesta. Messi, Pique and other La Masia players being your most hated players, so stop chatting shit xD

3 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

You've never respected Barcelona mate. I've known you about 10 years and you have always hated the club. Xavi, Iniesta. Messi, Pique and other La Masia players being your most hated players, so stop chatting shit xD

10 Years? 

4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I feel sorry for the Leeds United fans... Such a legendary football club and they get that badge!  Whoever had the power to choose that should be put in prison.

@Lucas

Shocking but also shows the power of our fan base in that within hours of that being announced, we had over 50,000 signatures voting against this design and then they back tracked and announced they would be redesigning it. 

Now that is fan power.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Time definitely has flown, jesus.

That was when MSN was still a thing as well. Forget your social media, MSN was much better in its hayday.

The long chats that me and you used to have on MSN. FiddyPence too xD. Also always remember chatting to @Danny a lot. I recall a story about period blood that sticks in my mind :rofl:

Archived