talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cristiano Ronaldo Rape Allegations

football forum

American Woman Files Complaint Against Cristiano Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo is the most visible athlete on earth. A woman from Las Vegas says: He is the man who raped her in a hotel in 2009. In the current issue of DER SPIEGEL, she goes public with her accusations for the first time.

A woman from the United States has leveled serious accusations against Cristiano Ronaldo. The Portuguese soccer star, says Kathryn Mayorga, 34, raped her in Las Vegas in 2009. Later, Ronaldo paid her $375,000 so that she would never again speak about that night. Her lawyer, the German newsmagazine DER SPIEGEL reports in its latest issue, is now questioning the validity of that out-of-court settlement in a civil complaint in Nevada.

In DER SPIEGEL, Mayorga has now spoken publicly for the first time about her encounter with Ronaldo nine years ago and tells her version of what took place in his hotel suite.

Ronaldo, Mayorga claims, raped her anally. Afterwards, she says he asked her if she was in pain. "By this time, he's (...) on his knees. He says the 99 percent thing." He insisted, Mayorga says, that he was a "good guy" except for the "one percent."

Ronaldo denies the accusations, the sex was consensual, according to him. Mayorga's lawyer's claim relies in part on a document, which includes Ronaldo's description of what happened that night. In that document, the soccer player is quoted as saying: "She said no and stop several times."

DER SPIEGEL first reported on the rape accusations one-and-a-half years ago. That story was based on documents made available to the newsmagazine by the whistleblower platform Football Leaks.

https://m.spiegel.de/international/cristiano-ronaldo-american-woman-accuses-ronaldo-of-rape-a-1230627.html

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cristiano Ronaldo denies rape claim as 'fake news'

Cristiano Ronaldo has dismissed as "fake news" accusations by a US woman who alleges she was raped by the Portuguese footballer in 2009.

In an Instagram video, Ronaldo said: "They want to promote [themselves] by [using] my name. It's normal."

Ronaldo's lawyers say they will sue Germany's Der Spiegel magazine, which originally reported the allegations.

The magazine wrote that Kathryn Mayorga had claimed Ronaldo, 33, raped her in a hotel room in Las Vegas.

Ms Mayorga, 34, is reported to have filed a rape report with Las Vegas police shortly after the alleged incident.

In 2010, she reportedly reached an out-of-court settlement with Ronaldo involving a $375,000 (£288,000) payment for agreeing never to go public with the allegations.

Her lawyers are now seeking to declare the non-disclosure agreement void.

In a statement, Ronaldo's lawyer Christian Schertz said "the reporting in Spiegel is blatantly illegal".

He added that he had been instructed to seek compensation for "moral damages" over "probably one of the most serious violations of personal rights in recent years".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45698134

He did actually get nicked and questioned while he was in Manchester about rape 2006ish I think, something which seems to have been completely removed from the internet?

It's a very hard one, sexual crimes are incredibly difficult to prove especially when it's so long ago. I support any attempt to make things easier for people to come forward quickly on this type of stuff but at the same time someone's name shouldn't be sullied by something which he hasn't been and won't be convicted of.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It's a very hard one, sexual crimes are incredibly difficult to prove especially when it's so long ago. I support any attempt to make things easier for people to come forward quickly on this type of stuff but at the same time someone's name shouldn't be sullied by something which he hasn't been and won't be convicted of.

agree with this.

Concerning but a he said she said situation at present. I'd be surprised if extortion attempts following a sexual encounter weren't something that occasionally happened in the industry of celebrity. But similar would be stories of young celebrities that got carried away with their fame and not used to being told NO.

I

Read somewhere that she agreed to go back to his suite, so for that very reason I don't buy her story that she didn't intend to have sex with him. 

However, I do feel that she may have consented to sex, but not anal. To which that is still rape. 

6 hours ago, Cicero said:

Read somewhere that she agreed to go back to his suite, so for that very reason I don't buy her story that she didn't intend to have sex with him. 

However, I do feel that she may have consented to sex, but not anal. To which that is still rape. 

Yes but its significantly less grotesque for me than the lecherous hobo that follows women and attacks them in dark alleys. 

2 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Out of court settlements over a rape case? How is that allowed. Wtf. It should be a crime in itself to pay off a rape victim. Rich people taking advantage by finding someone's price.

Makes you wonder what actually went on if that is true... If that is how we are going to be handling serious crimes I wonder if I can stab my neighbor at some point then agree an out of court settlement with his widow by way of apology as long as she doesn't mention it to anyone down the hairdressers....  I find these things hard to fathom and believe... 

Call me an old cynic but she finds herself in a one on one situation with him many years ago, which was probably more than agreeable with her at the time, then threatens to turn ugly and accuses him of rape and makes all kinds of threats and accusations against him and frightens him into coughing up some hush money to drop the case, then years further down the road when she is no doubt a little cash strapped once more decides to sell her story for another large cheque to the papers while probably getting sympathetic likes from the growing 'me too movement'

Any self respecting female that had suffered a genuine sexual assault would have been horrified that the attacker would just offer a cash settlement and hoped you forget the whole thing because it's not the kind of thing that can be easily forgotten... 

2 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Out of court settlements over a rape case? How is that allowed. Wtf. It should be a crime in itself to pay off a rape victim. Rich people taking advantage by finding someone's price.

It's horrendous isn't it, justice is bought and sold, a game won by the highest bidder. I don't know enough about this case to comment but surely if this is a genuine case then it should be brought before a criminal court and not a civil court, like the woman intends? There should be no way out of it but a criminal case..

42 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Makes you wonder what actually went on if that is true... If that is how we are going to be handling serious crimes I wonder if I can stab my neighbor at some point then agree an out of court settlement with his widow by way of apology as long as she doesn't mention it to anyone down the hairdressers....  I find these things hard to fathom and believe... 

Call me an old cynic but she finds herself in a one on one situation with him many years ago, which was probably more than agreeable with her at the time, then threatens to turn ugly and accuses him of rape and makes all kinds of threats and accusations against him and frightens him into coughing up some hush money to drop the case, then years further down the road when she is no doubt a little cash strapped once more decides to sell her story for another large cheque to the papers while probably getting sympathetic likes from the growing 'me too movement'

Any self respecting female that had suffered a genuine sexual assault would have been horrified that the attacker would just offer a cash settlement and hoped you forget the whole thing because it's not the kind of thing that can be easily forgotten...

Acceptance of money isn't an admission of guilt (false accusation), considering the level of shame victims go through and the level of stardom Ronaldo has its fairly conceivable that as she said, she was afraid of the publicity and harassment it would cause. Not to mention his statement about how she kept saying no is very concerning.

This is why women struggle to come forward with these accusations, there is no right or wrong way to report rape or sexual abuse, whether it's reported again years later like this or whether it's reported immediately (like the case with the young lady and the Ulster and Ireland Rugby players) the victim will be subject to hatred and abuse just for reporting it.

8 hours ago, Danny said:

Acceptance of money isn't an admission of guilt (false accusation), considering the level of shame victims go through and the level of stardom Ronaldo has its fairly conceivable that as she said, she was afraid of the publicity and harassment it would cause. Not to mention his statement about how she kept saying no is very concerning.

This is why women struggle to come forward with these accusations, there is no right or wrong way to report rape or sexual abuse, whether it's reported again years later like this or whether it's reported immediately (like the case with the young lady and the Ulster and Ireland Rugby players) the victim will be subject to hatred and abuse just for reporting it.

Totally agree with this. 

It's a fine line, because at the same time guilt should never be assumed because of an accusation and ideally this should all be kept out of the press. Never going to happen though.

Totally expect this to blow up now in the current climate. He has every right to defend himself, but if those answers of his to the questionnaire that was done back in 2009 (during the settlement) are proven to be true, then he can have no complaints if this blows up. They clearly indicate that he raped her. 

As for her taking the money. It was explained by the Spiegel reporter how she had a lawyer (who dealt with traffic violations) up against lawyers from big firms hired by Ronaldo (whose first task was to send PIs to dig up dirt on her), plus she was scared of the backlash from his massive fan following. I can understand an ordinary citizen been scared into taking the hush money. 

The metoo movement has its problems, but one of its pluses is that it has definitely given courage to plenty of women to come forward. Maybe she feels safer now to come forward. 

Archived