talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jeremy Corbyn - “Newcastle Utd Fans Should Have a Say!”

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is getting a lot of media publicity now. 

I think all football fans would like to see this happen. Mike Ashley's attitude is rather bizarre in the sense that he will not back Rafa Benitez to assemble a team capable of a top eight finish with a manager who has the experience and ability to pull it off, but if Rafa walks and they replace him with somebody like Mick McCarthy he will then back that manager to the heavens if they're in the bottom three in January.

That lack of ambition is ok if you're a tradionally a Championship club that's happy to be in The Premier League, but this is Newcastle United, the size of the club in terms of its fan base and infrastructure suggests that everything is set for them to consolidate themselves to a level where Everton are tradionally at in the next couple of seasons. It must be demoralizing to have an owner that sees 17th as a trophy.

Kenyon has apparently said that he thinks there's great scope to improve our commercial revenue.

Remember around a year or two ago when it came out that Newcastle were the only club in the whole of top flight football to have a lower commercial revenue now than 10 years ago. All other clubs saw their revenue rocket. There's also a good in depth analysis by a football finance uni professor showing how when Mike Ashley bought the club Newcastle were in the same financial position as Tottenham. Under Ashley Newcastle were left behind and collapsed in key financial areas, with Tottenham now more than twice the financial size of Newcastle.

Mike Ashley was at the game yesterday. His first home game in 18 months. He had 4 bodyguards dressed like the FBI. When fans chanted against him he started laughing.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Mike Ashley was at the game yesterday. His first home game in 18 months. He had 4 bodyguards dressed like the FBI. When fans chanted against him he started laughing.

If that isn't a sign that you need to get rid of an owner I don't know what is. I have always wondered what went wrong at Newcastle because its not like you'll are devoid of playing good football, Pardew for all the hate he gets got some of the best football out of you'll in recent times in the Prem so it is possible.

4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

If that isn't a sign that you need to get rid of an owner I don't know what is. I have always wondered what went wrong at Newcastle because its not like you'll are devoid of playing good football, Pardew for all the hate he gets got some of the best football out of you'll in recent times in the Prem so it is possible.

The same thing happened in a pre-season friendly when fans chanted against Ashley and asked where the money had gone the managing director was visibly shaking his head.

Our previous owner used to try to win back our support and trust when he lost it. This current lot hold us in total contempt. 

• Subscriber
22 hours ago, Harvsky said:

The same thing happened in a pre-season friendly when fans chanted against Ashley and asked where the money had gone the managing director was visibly shaking his head.

Our previous owner used to try to win back our support and trust when he lost it. This current lot hold us in total contempt. 

The sooner you get rid of that cancer the better it is for your club. I don't get how it persisted for so long but if someone is coming in with a bid it should be taken because not showing any kind of ambition and simply staying in the league for the sake of it only leads to long term problems in recruitment (which you kind of already have) and any kind of club growth as well. The real question is whether Ashley will sell? From what I gather he has his claws firmly entrenched and wouldn't want to budge from his position.

6 hours ago, Mel81x said:

The sooner you get rid of that cancer the better it is for your club. I don't get how it persisted for so long but if someone is coming in with a bid it should be taken because not showing any kind of ambition and simply staying in the league for the sake of it only leads to long term problems in recruitment (which you kind of already have) and any kind of club growth as well. The real question is whether Ashley will sell? From what I gather he has his claws firmly entrenched and wouldn't want to budge from his position.

He's outlasted the anger. Many fans are now dead inside. They're beaten. Tired. Worn down.

Ultimately Mike Ashley and the anti-Newcastle brigade want the fans to downgrade their expectations, to accept what is delivered under his business model. 

The club have said we won't be investing in the academy because the chances of it leading to greater financial returns are low. This is life under this business model, this culture. Everything is reduced to this narrow minded cost analysis. The club is run down and low quality. Should we upgrade the Euro 1996 toilets in the old stands? No, it doesn't provide any returns. Should we remove the dead pidgeon from the netting in the roof of the Gallowgate? No just let the corpse rot away above everyone's heads because it costs £200 to get a bloke up there. 

• Subscriber
47 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Should we remove the dead pidgeon from the netting in the roof of the Gallowgate? No just let the corpse rot away above everyone's heads because it costs £200 to get a bloke up there. 

Is that really true?

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

I still think you let him off a bit too easily. If it was us I'd be hoping for pitch invasions every week until the cunt was gone.

Vast majority of our support are 45+. Trying to organise youthful rebellious acts is difficult.

I personally think if we want him out we should shut down every Sports Direct store in the area and Oxford street. Physically block people going in. Watch his share price drop. He'll panic. We can probably get left wing activists to help. 

16 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Vast majority of our support are 45+. Trying to organise youthful rebellious acts is difficult.

I personally think if we want him out we should shut down every Sports Direct store in the area and Oxford street. Physically block people going in. Watch his share price drop. He'll panic. We can probably get left wing activists to help. 

Does Newcastle have a stagnant population?

19 minutes ago, Spike said:

Does Newcastle have a stagnant population?

Nope. It's pretty common across most of English football for the majority of match goers to be middle aged men. Particularly if the club has strong 1990s history. Primarily because it is the age group who have the wealth to pay modern ticket prices. There are sections of the ground with more young lads in and away games are full of young lads.

To be fair we will end this season with only a £98m profit from the last two years. It's hard to find the cash to clean the bogs.

I remember we used to have a big poster on the concourse of the section I sit that was of Alan Smith, Peter Lovenkrands and Kevin Nolan advertising club shop products. They left it up for at least 3 years after Nolan and Lovenkrands had been sold xD

What happened was when we were relegated they gutted the workforce down to bare bones skeleton staff. Then we got promoted and they did not expand the staff back to Premier League levels.

Whilst I'm on the topic of the club shop. In 2015 Channel 4 Dispatches uncovered that Sports Direct controlled the club shop and they got the £1.2m profit to keep themselves. The club got none of it.

Other things include the land that the club owns or owns the lease on being transferred to a private company owned by Mike Ashley as to no longer be owned by the club anymore.

Where is the FA? Where is the Premier League? Fit and proper? 

This whole he owns it he can do what he wants philosophy is nonsense. We can regulate the industry. It's what our local MP's are now trying to get support for. Unfortunately parliament won't be interested in spending any time on this matter.

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has challenged anyone wanting to buy the club to show him the money.

Ashley and his representatives have never publicly named their price for the club, but it is unlikely to be sold for less than £300m.

Sky Sports News understands that aside from purchasing the club, prospective buyers must also prove they have the funds to take the club forward.

Former Manchester United and Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon is trying to put together a deal to buy Newcastle.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Whilst I'm on the topic of the club shop. In 2015 Channel 4 Dispatches uncovered that Sports Direct controlled the club shop and they got the £1.2m profit to keep themselves. The club got none of it.

Other things include the land that the club owns or owns the lease on being transferred to a private company owned by Mike Ashley as to no longer be owned by the club anymore.

Where is the FA? Where is the Premier League? Fit and proper? 

This whole he owns it he can do what he wants philosophy is nonsense. We can regulate the industry. It's what our local MP's are now trying to get support for. Unfortunately parliament won't be interested in spending any time on this matter.

I was under the impression that you needed to meet certain infrastructure standards  (which you kind of have from your time in the Premier League) and that was how teams would be forced to improve for not just the fans but visiting fans and the club's growth as well.

One of the papers in Dubai said Kenyon is struggling to find backers to stump up £300m+ when the club looks like relegatation candidates. The time to sell was the sunmer.

Mike Ashley has downgraded the club from one that was never in relegation trouble for over a decade to one that is now always at risk of being a yo-yo. He expects to make a profit for his time here even though he has turned it into an unstable asset. In my opinion we are unlikely to be rid of him whilst in the Premier League, one day he will get sick of getting relegated and needing to stump up day to day cash to avoid bank debt or a relegation will lead to failure to bounce back eventually. Then he will cut his losses with the club even more on its arse and destroyed for generations to come.

It's a shame what Ashley has done to you because you are such a pointless club now, literally no interest in watching you whatsoever and I imagine it's like that for a lot of your supporters.

Growing up I remember the days you had under Keegan and Bobby Robson. Watching you lot, Leeds and Chelsea fighting at the top end of the table. An iconic kit too.

Nowadays you're more famous for having Wonga across your kits than anything you've done on a football pitch. Too good for the Championship, not good enough for the Prem.

• Subscriber

I've grown fond of Newcastle in recent years which says it all as they've got an ex-Kopite as manager and should be one of our main natural rivals in the Premier League B Division. Like others have said, Ashley should have been gone from the Premier League years ago. Seeing him around makes me think I'm watching Premier League years from 2008 or something. Hope it gets sorted.

Archived