talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Daniel Sturridge

It can’t be said just yet but is he getting back to the form he showed at Liverpool a few years ago?

He struggled in a West Brom side that was managed by Alan Pardew but I think most players would have struggled when managed by Pardew. He’s since returned to Liverpool and has started off in good form. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's done very well with the chances he has been given this season. Can't argue with the progress so far, and with Salah & Firmino having a slow start to the season you'd think this is his best chance yet to break into the first 11. Hopefully he keeps it up and gives Klopp some hard decisions to make. 

I don't think he's got it in him to do it from the start too often without his body breaking down and I think he now realises that and has accepted his current role in the squad. He's a superb option for us coming off the bench. If we keep him fit there's not many teams who can bring that sort of quality on. 

12 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I don't think he's got it in him to do it from the start too often without his body breaking down and I think he now realises that and has accepted his current role in the squad. He's a superb option for us coming off the bench. If we keep him fit there's not many teams who can bring that sort of quality on. 

This. 

He could become Liverpool’s version of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, playing from the bench and rarely starting and playing in short bursts of 15-35 minutes may suit him and his body better than trying to get back to level he was at 3-4 years ago where he was starting games at Liverpool. 

• Subscriber
56 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Poor solanke should fuck off to another team asap. Played 970'  last season with Liverpool and had the same amount of goals rashford scored versus Liverscum xD I'm sure a small team like lcFc will get suckerD in to overpay for him like they did with Kelechi       

xD

1 hour ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Poor solanke should fuck off to another team asap. Played 970'  last season with Liverpool and had the same amount of goals rashford scored versus Liverscum xD I'm sure a small team like lcFc will get suckerD in to overpay for him like they did with Kelechi       

I'm not really sold on Solanke anyway tbh. Better to look for someone more similar to Firmino for injury depth. 🤔

His technical ability has never been an issue. His problem is his fitness. IF he can stay fit and he's happy to play a bit part role he could be very important for Liverpool as the season progresses, as there problem last season in the Champions League was evidently a lack of depth.

Given he's a natural finisher and Jamie Vardy has no interest in playing for England. I'd argue that if he can remain fit he should be considered as back up for Kane in the England squad for reasons such as that goal when he came on yesterday.

I always liked him at Chelsea and was one of our best players at one point. Also did well out of position on the right wing for us where you would of thought his constant cutting inside onto his favored foot would be easy to defend against but that wasn't the case, he looked very dangerous at times. I've always rated him but you simply can't rely on him because of his injury problems and the role he plays at Liverpool at the moment is the best thing a manager can do with him.

I say the above but that's a purely personal opinion. It's true he divided opinion among Chelsea fans, with some of their arguments simply being 'he's too selfish mate', 'he doesn't pass'. I have some question marks about his off the ball work both offensively and defensively but have always rated him and was a little sad to see him go when he moved.

I still think Sturridge wants to start every game, even though he seems completely drained by the 60th  minute when he has started in couple of the matches. 

His talent was never doubted at Liverpool. He is an amazing option off the bench. But he is going to have his injury spells and they can strike anytime. Him and Lallana, both talented players and both can't be relied upon. 

Which is why signing Shaqiri was a smart decision. 

As for Solanke. I have sympathy for him. He needs game time to develop and he isn't going to get that here. He is eventually going to lose his place to Brewster. 

Archived