talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

North American Bid for 2026

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joint bids are pointless. It's all about the opening ceremony and the final where hosting prestige is in question. I doubt Mexico would want to be involved with the US as things stand right now and anyway... How would the fans get past Trump's wall? :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

60 games for the USA, 10 games for Mexico and 10 games for Canada. Seems FIFA, because of it being the first expanded World Cup and their elections in 2019, that they'll look to straight out award them the competition to avoid any mess.

Just now, Cannabis said:

Three countries is mental, two should be the limit really. An Australian/New Zealand competition would be nice providing Australia don't do another embarrassing bid like the last time.

I'm just thinking how a US/Mexico/Canada World Cup would look in terms of qualifying,  if the hosts all get a free pass would it not screw over the rest of the continent?

With the new 7 spots CONCACAF are getting, they would likely all qualify anyway. And any teams they displace would be entirely in too deep in the World Cup anyway. If you use Elo rankings, Martinique would only be 2 positions away from qualifying. Jamaica, the 79th best team in world football, would be qualifying. I don't think the CONCACAF qualifying spots need to be worried about. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The North American bid actually has an 'official' competitor, but I feel it's probably more than over anyway.

6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Surely Australasia should get to host a world cup. I think Australia would do a great.iob

I think they would be great, but FIFA would look at the television rights that it would cost them. People aren't going to pay as much for it when kickoffs won't be in prime time for Europe. Sad, but probably true.

13 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Surely Australasia should get to host a world cup. I think Australia would do a great.iob

No thanks. I've already gone over why I don't want Australia hosting the world cup.

• Centralised population. Most of the country is on the east-coast as are most of the large stadiums, so the WC would be limited to Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne. This is unfair to people in Perth and Adelaide, and expecting fans to travel to those cities is also unfair. 
  • Small stadiums and very few of them. This is incredibly problematic given that the WC coincides with NRL and AFL, especially with the expanded WC format.
  • Competition and resistance from AFL and NRL. They will not under any circumstance want the WC cutting in on their territory. 
  • Weak Australian dollar. It isn't economically wise or feasible a the moment, especially for a sport that is at best background noise. 

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

No thanks. I've already gone over why I don't want Australia hosting the world cup.

• Centralised population. Most of the country is on the east-coast as are most of the large stadiums, so the WC would be limited to Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne. This is unfair to people in Perth and Adelaide, and expecting fans to travel to those cities is also unfair. 
  • Small stadiums and very few of them. This is incredibly problematic given that the WC coincides with NRL and AFL, especially with the expanded WC format.
  • Competition and resistance from AFL and NRL. They will not under any circumstance want the WC cutting in on their territory. 
  • Weak Australian dollar. It isn't economically wise or feasible a the moment, especially for a sport that is at best background noise. 

Well it's nearer than another continent mate :D I don't think any of these things should definitely rule them out but I get what you mean. 

4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well it's nearer than another continent mate :D I don't think any of these things should definitely rule them out but I get what you mean. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the WC back home but I don't think it's necessarily wise from a pragmatic view. Don't forget Australia is gigantic, nearly the same size as the USA (and NZ is a lot further away than people realise).

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the WC back home but I don't think it's necessarily wise from a pragmatic view. Don't forget Australia is gigantic, nearly the same size as the USA (and NZ is a lot further away than people realise).

Well Russias not small ha ha. Obviously you know a lot more about it than me. I just think they would do a good job. They normally do with sporting events. Plus crowds would probably be very good. Fans could double it up as a holiday. A lot safer than Russia and Brazil. How far is it to new Zealand?

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Well Russias not small ha ha. Obviously you know a lot more about it than me. I just think they would do a good job. They normally do with sporting events. Plus crowds would probably be very good. Fans could double it up as a holiday. A lot safer than Russia and Brazil. How far is it to new Zealand?

Brisbane to Wellington is about four hours flight. Yeah, I'm not a fan of Russia either, or Qatar, definitely above those nations. 

On 06/04/2017 at 10:17 PM, SirBalon said:

Joint bids are pointless. It's all about the opening ceremony and the final where hosting prestige is in question. I doubt Mexico would want to be involved with the US as things stand right now and anyway... How would the fans get past Trump's wall? :ph34r:

The Rock would have knocked it down by then :ph34r:

On 15/04/2017 at 3:56 PM, Teso dos Bichos said:

Smh mexican federation once again acting like money whores. The final should be in the azteca, end of story. The place where Pele and maradona both won a WC. 

Yeah but 3 world cups in one country seems a bit unfair. I mean we have only hosted one and we did invent the sport

7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That was a great popcorn movie...  But I don't get how the movie could knock down a wall. O.o

The Rock is a wrestler now actor who said he was gonna run for presidency mate.

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

Brisbane to Wellington is about four hours flight. Yeah, I'm not a fan of Russia either, or Qatar, definitely above those nations. 

Clearly there was bribary on Qatar hosting it. I think we all know that despite what the inquest said

Archived