The better place to talk football.

La Liga - Week 8 Fixtures - 5th-7th October 2018

football forum

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

On current form, I'm not confident that Barca are getting a result at Valencia. Even though Valencia are much lower down in the league than expected, it won't be easy for Barca with the way they're playing right now. 

Leganes vs Vallecano is already a relegation 6-pointer. 

I think Atletico Madrid vs Betis is the game of the weekend. Both in-form teams so should make for an entertaining game. If not that, then the Basque derby on Friday night. 

19 minutes ago, Stan said:

On current form, I'm not confident that Barca are getting a result at Valencia. Even though Valencia are much lower down in the league than expected, it won't be easy for Barca with the way they're playing right now. 

Leganes vs Vallecano is already a relegation 6-pointer. 

I think Atletico Madrid vs Betis is the game of the weekend. Both in-form teams so should make for an entertaining game. If not that, then the Basque derby on Friday night. 

For me the Basque derby is the "big" game for all it signifies although I agree with you that the clash between Atleti and Betis looks very good indeed... A total clash of styles although it shouldn't be that way if you get my meaning.

Valencia are playing terribly but always raise their game for both Barça and Real Madrid... If Barcelona leave Mestalla with a draw right now, then they wouldn't be that unhappy.

43 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Just looked at the table, shocked Real are as high as they are. Seem to have lost/not won a few of late and I imagined they’d have been in 5th-9th place. 

Remember there's still 5 games to go for this week's fixtures and also that there's been slip-ups all over. The extra problem Real Madrid is having that has crisis written all over it is that they're finding it extremely difficult to score goals.

Real dropping points again.

It was always coming though this season(even if Ronaldo stayed for me) as they were hardly great last year either and were running off fumes in their Champions league win, I also don't think Lopetegui is the man to take them forward after the departure of Zidane. Luckily for them, others are dropping points themselves which means they haven't fallen behind.

Massive win for Real Sociedad in the derby as well.

Just now, The Rebel CRS said:

Real dropping points again.

It was always coming though this season(even if Ronaldo stayed for me) as they were hardly great last year either and were running off fumes, I also don't think Lopetegui is the man to take them forward after the departure of Zidane.

Massive win for Real Sociedad in the derby as well.

Yeah, I'm surprised at two factors with the way many are reading Real Madrid... One reason is what you've pointed out on in that last season they were absolutely abismal in the domestic scene and that included having Cristiano Ronaldo (who many are pointing out as the reasons for this season) and two, key sentences Zidane said in his departure press conference...

Quote:

"The feat I value the most of my time as Real coach is the La Liga title."

"I think I'm leaving at the right time, it's not easy to coach this club and I think more has been extracted than would've seemed possible."

Correa scores against Betis.

Bad game by Atlético at the Metropolitano in any case.

Despite some chances, low possession and when in possession too much ball conduction.  It was refreshing to see some pure 9 moves by Kalinic before him getting subbed.

4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Barcelona have a class side actually but in my opinion, Valverde is already burned out. This is literally Enrique 2.0 when he announced he was leaving.

Barcelona is the best job in football but it's also the most demanding. @SirBalon has already explained perfectly why. 

Agree with you on Real though, they were under par last season but had Ronaldo.

Never said they don't have a good side... just their worst in years. I think the last 2 seasons they were better and 2015 they were by a mile the best team in the world.

I haven't seen Real a whole lot this season at least not compared to Barcelona, but I am having trouble in pinpointing their issues. You watch last season and you would think Ronaldo was just another man, because he didn't influence the general play a whole lot. However, he knew how to score and I can't stress how important that is. To be a top side, you need to have at least 2 or 3 players in the squad that knows how to get it in the back of the net. You could have a squad full of world class players but if they don't know how to score, that is your problem. I've rightly criticized Ronaldo this past year and I kind of stand by that, but he can score goals. Real Madrid have too many supporting players at the moment unfortunately. 

I think that this Madrid team is almost perfect on paper, but they are missing a quality goalscorer. He doesn't even need to be very good, just as long as he knows how to finish. At Real Madrid, you don't really need a complete forward with all the chances you are going to get.

19 minutes ago, Blue said:

I haven't seen Real a whole lot this season at least not compared to Barcelona, but I am having trouble in pinpointing their issues. You watch last season and you would think Ronaldo was just another man, because he didn't influence the general play a whole lot. However, he knew how to score and I can't stress how important that is. To be a top side, you need to have at least 2 or 3 players in the squad that knows how to get it in the back of the net. You could have a squad full of world class players but if they don't know how to score, that is your problem. I've rightly criticized Ronaldo this past year and I kind of stand by that, but he can score goals. Real Madrid have too many supporting players at the moment unfortunately. 

I think that this Madrid team is almost perfect on paper, but they are missing a quality goalscorer. He doesn't even need to be very good, just as long as he knows how to finish. At Real Madrid, you don't really need a complete forward with all the chances you are going to get.

This.

Additionally Lopetegui is probably too much of a dogmatic coach. That his "aura" doesn't command the same respect as Zidane's doesn't help him either.

25 minutes ago, Blue said:

Never said they don't have a good side... just their worst in years. I think the last 2 seasons they were better and 2015 they were by a mile the best team in the world.

32 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Barcelona have a class side actually but in my opinion, Valverde is already burned out. This is literally Enrique 2.0 when he announced he was leaving.

Barcelona is the best job in football but it's also the most demanding. @SirBalon has already explained perfectly why. 

Agree with you on Real though, they were under par last season but had Ronaldo.

Yep... Barcelona have a brilliant side, amongst the best in Europe if not the best on paper... Remember that the best player in the world is in amongst those out there and that counts.  But people are used to blasting sides apart and that doesn't always happen in football. Infact playing Valencia is always a hard task especially away.  Look at Guardiola's record or any Barça coach's record at Mestalla and then a mediation on opinions should be able to be executed without thinking too much.

What we have is that this is a side full of new players and a new way of playing plus the fact that other sides have caught up.

Nobody cares whether or not someone slips odd week in the Premier League and this should be the same sentiment here... It's healthy!  It's not Serie 'A'.

5 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

This.

Additionally Lopetegui is probably too much of a dogmatic coach. That his "aura" doesn't command the same respect as Zidane's doesn't help him either.

Zidane was a marionette coach with almost no understanding of tactical nouse.  Infact the only thing going for him is what you've just pinpointed.

34 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Zidane was a marionette coach with almost no understanding of tactical nouse.  Infact the only thing going for him is what you've just pinpointed.

Just the 3 champions leagues in a row for a man with no tactical nouse xD:tf: 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived