talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sol Campbell Joining England Coaching Set Up

football forum

Sky Sports News has learned Sol Campbell has been asked to get involved in the FA's coaching set-up by U21s manager Aidy Boothroyd.

England U21s have two European Qualifiers against Andorra and Scotland later this month, and they need just one point to guarantee qualification for next summer's finals in Italy and San Marino.

However, it is thought former England international Campbell will not join up with the squad until November, ahead of the friendly games against Germany and Italy.

The former Arsenal and Spurs defender is keen to forge a future for himself as a manager.

But the 44-year-old was overlooked by Oxford when they had a vacancy in February, and has spoken out about his frustration at the lack of opportunities in the game.

It is understood that, at this stage, Campbell is unlikely to become a full-time FA employee.

However, both he and Boothroyd are keen to see how the coaching arrangement works - after he has been involved with the U21s for a short-term trial period.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure the usual suspects will make the same laborious comments about Campbell, but it is telling that the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Giggs, Neville etc have been able to walk into big jobs at their first attempt and newspapers are still talking about how Campbell's last application was rejected by Oxford. Not to mention the complete lack of BAME managers throughout the Football League.

Needless to say I'm not sure Brendan Batson was aware of this when he made the following statements:

Former Arsenal defender Brendon Batson believes clubs are "excluding" black coaches from their selection process.

Batson was the first black player to represent Arsenal and went on to become part of what was known as 'the three degrees' at West Brom alongside Laurie Cunningham and Cyrille Regis.

With just three BAME managers in the top two flights of English football, Batson believes clubs are missing out on a huge pool of talent.

"How do clubs know they are getting the best coaches when they are excluding one big section of the football community?" said Batson told Sky Sports News, marking the start of Black History Month.

"I'm not quite sure what the barrier is, but there is a barrier there and it's a big one. I can literally name every black coach in the game which is indicative of where we are.

"I look and see what the likes of Chris Hughton and Chris Powell have done. Darren Moore - new to the managerial game - doing a great job at my old club West Brom. He's done a fantastic job and I hope that will encourage clubs to look more favourably [on black coaches].

"I think the press have a lot to do with it - they seem to want to nominate the next generation of head coaches or managers.

"They promote Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard of the current crop but, the only black player I can think of to receive mention on a regular basis was Paul Ince."

The FA has vowed to implement the 'Rooney Rule' when they employ England boss Gareth Southgate's successor.

The 'Rooney Rule' is an NFL policy that requires the league's 32 teams to interview black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) candidates for head coaching and senior operation roles.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

I'm sure the usual suspects will make the same laborious comments about Campbell, but it is telling that the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Giggs, Neville etc have been able to walk into big jobs at their first attempt and newspapers are still talking about how Campbell's last application was rejected by Oxford. Not to mention the complete lack of BAME managers throughout the Football League.

All the players you mentioned have shown loyalty throughout their career, Sol Campbell will always have a stigma because the circumstances in which he left Spurs, Arsenal, Pompey and Notts County.

2 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

All the players you mentioned have shown loyalty throughout their career, Sol Campbell will always have a stigma because the circumstances in which he left Spurs, Arsenal, Pompey and Notts County.

Didn't Lampard join Chelsea's direct rivals Manchester City (in terms of trophies) for one last pay cheque? 

Campbell behaved pretty poorly at times but unfair to judge his managerial potential on that basis. He does across as a bit of a tit at times and the fact he wanted to stand as a Conservative MP makes me think he's an incorrigible cunt but if he's done his badges I don't see why he wouldn't get a shot somewhere.

1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

Really? Managers careers are short, as if a club has ever not interviewed someone because they're afraid once he starts doing well he'll move on to someone else.

Not sure what the current figures are but fairly recently there were 25% BAME players throughout the FL (14% British) and yet there are only 4% or so coaches who are clustered at specific clubs like QPR and Brighton.

4 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Didn't Lampard join Chelsea's direct rivals Manchester City (in terms of trophies) for one last pay cheque? 

Ah yes, completely forgot about that. He showed himself to be a massive snake there and somehow managed to not get any form of reputation.

9 minutes ago, Danny said:

Really? Managers careers are short, as if a club has ever not interviewed someone because they're afraid once he starts doing well he'll move on to someone else.

Not sure what the current figures are but fairly recently there were 25% BAME players throughout the FL (14% British) and yet there are only 4% or so coaches who are clustered at specific clubs like QPR and Brighton.

Sol Campbell rightly or wrongly comes with baggage, and that combined with no managerial experience is always pitting him at a disadvantage to others.

Regarding the black coaches argument, I've always been a firm believer (and still believe) that will improve over time within the football league. You mention QPR have black coaches, and that's significantly because they've employed people that have affiliation with the club from the 90's. People like Darren Moore have got opportunities because of the affiliation they built with clubs throughout their playing career and i imagine that will become a more common theme. John Salako and Richard Shaw for example have had it with us.

What isn't helping and delaying the process is foreign investors employing foreign managers who inherit coaches they trust overseas. Apart from Jean Tigana I can't think of black managers or coaches off the top of my head that have arrived to England because of worse problems overseas. Maybe one day we will see a change in this through some of the talented French players in the naughties.

Harry Redknapp left Pompey for Saints and went back to Pompey xD 

Joey Barton has a job. Joey Barton. Look at his past, and he has a full time managerial role for a football league club.

The list of excuses as to why BAME managers or coaches don't get the opportunities grows ever longer.

4 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Sol Campbell rightly or wrongly comes with baggage, and that combined with no managerial experience is always pitting him at a disadvantage to others.

Regarding the black coaches argument, I've always been a firm believer (and still believe) that will improve over time within the football league. You mention QPR have black coaches, and that's significantly because they've employed people that have affiliation with the club from the 90's. People like Darren Moore have got opportunities because of the affiliation they built with clubs throughout their playing career and i imagine that will become a more common theme. John Salako and Richard Shaw for example have had it with us.

What isn't helping and delaying the process is foreign investors employing foreign managers who inherit coaches they trust overseas. Apart from Jean Tigana I can't think of black managers or coaches off the top of my head that have arrived to England because of worse problems overseas. Maybe one day we will see a change in this through some of the talented French players in the naughties.

Come off it, this is Football League level we're talking as well. When the Premier League began there were 16% BAME players, yet 26 years later there are around 4% BAME coaches and that number is only so high because of a select few clubs out of the 92.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/06/graham-taylor-told-not-pick-too-many-black-players-fa-england

Dinosaurs like that will have been around the game in all manners a lot longer than when Graham Taylor was in charge of England, and for those that are extinct there will be less visible but equally racist and discriminatory men around in football.

8 minutes ago, Danny said:

Harry Redknapp left Pompey for Saints and went back to Pompey xD 

Sol Campbell rightly or wrongly comes with baggage, and that combined with no managerial experience is always pitting him at a disadvantage to others.

Joey Barton is an odd one, but listening to him on Talksport he put in a lot of graft with Fleetwood that people didn't know about. He was training with them and got to know the chairman personally over a year before getting the job. If he had handed his CV on a whim, I'm sure he would have been told to get fucked.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Come off it, this is Football League level we're talking as well. When the Premier League began there were 16% BAME players, yet 26 years later there are around 4% BAME coaches and that number is only so high because of a select few clubs out of the 92.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/06/graham-taylor-told-not-pick-too-many-black-players-fa-england

Dinosaurs like that will have been around the game in all manners a lot longer than when Graham Taylor was in charge of England, and for those that are extinct there will be less visible but equally racist and discriminatory men around in football.

It's 07:40 in the morning, fuck sake.

There is never going to be a direct correlation between players to coaches for the same reason Fan Zyhiu isn't a coach at Crystal Palace. Only a very small portion of players go in to coaching and are able to persevere with it.

On a side note, If you think the same attitudes exist in 2018 that there was in 1994 then there is no helping you.

I genuinely think some clubs are put off Campbell because they probably fear that he’ll label them racist should the inevitable happen and he gets sacked. He’s been vociferous in his belief that The FA is institutionally racist and that the colour of his skin stops him from getting jobs and should a team appoint and then sack him when results aren’t going well, I think some chairman would be wary that Campbell would cite racism for his sacking. 

Comparing any BAME Manager not getting a job to Joey Barton having a job is not a comparison at all. Barton is friends with Fleetwood’s chairman and that would have swung it for them. 

1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

It's 07:40 in the morning, fuck sake.

There is never going to be a direct correlation between players to coaches for the same reason Fan Zyhiu isn't a coach at Crystal Palace. Only a very small portion of players go in to coaching and are able to persevere with it.

On a side note, If you think the same attitudes exist in 2018 that there was in 1994 then there is no helping you.

It's 19:50 here, chop chop and get to work son, got a country to keep on it's feet.

No there isn't but when the already staggeringly low percentage is propped up by a few clubs out of 92 then it would suggest that there is a problem beyond the number of players wanting to get into coaching. 

No, my post quite clearly suggested the exact same attitudes don't exist. But if you think a sport run by a majority of old white men who have taken over roles from previous old white men who were more likely to openly discriminate and hold racist views in a sporting industry where the percentage of BAME coaching staff comes nowhere near to matching the percentage of BAME playing staff has nothing to do with institutionalised racism in 2018 (racism still exists as much as it did back then, it's just better hidden now) then there is no helping you.

7 hours ago, Danny said:

It's 19:50 here, chop chop and get to work son, got a country to keep on it's feet.

No there isn't but when the already staggeringly low percentage is propped up by a few clubs out of 92 then it would suggest that there is a problem beyond the number of players wanting to get into coaching. 

No, my post quite clearly suggested the exact same attitudes don't exist. But if you think a sport run by a majority of old white men who have taken over roles from previous old white men who were more likely to openly discriminate and hold racist views in a sporting industry where the percentage of BAME coaching staff comes nowhere near to matching the percentage of BAME playing staff has nothing to do with institutionalised racism in 2018 (racism still exists as much as it did back then, it's just better hidden now) then there is no helping you.

Do you not think that Les Ferdinand replacing Dan Ashworth as the governing bodys technical director for the FA represents a shift in paradigm? Sure, it's one name, but that's a pretty big role he's stepping in to.

4 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Do you not think that Les Ferdinand replacing Dan Ashworth as the governing bodys technical director for the FA represents a shift in paradigm? Sure, it's one name, but that's a pretty big role he's stepping in to.

It represents a shift, like I said attitudes aren't exactly the same as then, but it's still doesn't change the fact that football has an evident problem with institutionalised racism.

Archived