talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bournemouth

football forum

Bournemouth always seem to be dead shit for long periods of the season and then win 2 or 3 in the space of 4 games that sees them move up the table and survive comfortably. You'd imagine they'll do that again once they get some players back. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Bournemouth always seem to be dead shit for long periods of the season and then win 2 or 3 in the space of 4 games that sees them move up the table and survive comfortably. You'd imagine they'll do that again once they get some players back. 

Not sure I see it this season, the losing streaks are never this bad and whilst they've had injuries the first eleven's they put out seem decent enough...

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Fair point but if they stick with Howe, where is he going to take them? 

Their PL finishes so far:
2018/19 - 14th
2017/18 - 12th
2016/17 - 9th
2015/16 - 16th

The first season was brilliant considering the size of the club and surviving was a great achievement.

They're established in the Premier League but haven't 'improved' in 3 seasons and look set to be circling the drain right now. Has he taken them as far as he can?

Maybe a new manager might not get time to make changes he wants but if they are willing to give a new manager time, it might work out to be a good move? If Bournemouth do survive (and I don't think they will), what happens next season? The same inconsistency and they find themselves battling relegation again? They could turn in to a Stoke (up to 2018 when they finally dropped) or a Villa (up to 2016 when they finally dropped). Hover around mid-table, then eventually drop.

Where can you realistically take a team like Bournemouth? 

4 hours ago, Danny said:

Not sure I see it this season, the losing streaks are never this bad and whilst they've had injuries the first eleven's they put out seem decent enough...

Hmm, not sure about that. A quick check of their results since they came up shows they've quite regularly lost four in a row or four out of five. 

The next three are big for them anyway. Norwich away, Brighton and Aston Villa at home. Anything less than six points and they're in big trouble you'd imagine

• Subscriber

Eddie Howe's done a fantastic job at Bournemouth but I do think he's shown he has a ceiling. You get absolutely loads of money just for being in this league. It's not like they haven't spent it.

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

Eddie Howe's done a fantastic job at Bournemouth but I do think he's shown he has a ceiling. You get absolutely loads of money just for being in this league. It's not like they haven't spent it.

Fantastic? Really? He’s done a good job in getting them up, keeping them up and having them look a threat at times as many managers have proven how difficult that can be. But over the last 5 years Bournemouth are 13th in the table in terms of expenditure and their finishes have averaged around that mark. He’s not really over achieved bar finishing 9th.

30 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Hmm, not sure about that. A quick check of their results since they came up shows they've quite regularly lost four in a row or four out of five. 

The next three are big for them anyway. Norwich away, Brighton and Aston Villa at home. Anything less than six points and they're in big trouble you'd imagine

I think 4 points from their last 30 is uncharted territory for Howe.

I think Howe’s job rests on what they get from those fixtures.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

Fantastic? Really? He’s done a good job in getting them up, keeping them up and having them look a threat at times as many managers have proven how difficult that can be. But over the last 5 years Bournemouth are 13th in the table in terms of expenditure and their finishes have averaged around that mark. He’s not really over achieved bar finishing 9th.

Yes fantastic. I know they've been well backed but he got them to the Premier League in no time. I think since they've been up he's been exposed as pretty mediocre though but there's no doubt he's done a great job on the whole.

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Dan said:

Their investment in the past few years has been embarrassingly bad. I get it when clubs spend big on players, it doesn't work out and with hindsight you can see why it was a bad idea, but some of Bournemouth's signings didn't even need to get that far, people were calling them out as shocking business straight away. Look at the last two season:

1193466134_ScreenShot2020-01-14at08_52_14.thumb.png.71f78110470e1cd7ec4f6062511fd7d2.png

1678838973_ScreenShot2020-01-14at08_51_46.thumb.png.d1d715a017ac2bde0aefa5ecc16f7931.png

Lerma has been average at best, has Solanke even scored once for them? Rico looked a decent signing but where's he now? Mepham doesn't start, Brooks decent to be fair, never heard of Danjuma, Billing comes off the bench and I don't remember seeing Lloyd Kelly get a game although he is 20 to be fair. You can say they've at least bought young but if you don't freshen up your starting eleven and still have the same old Lewis Cooks and Charlie Taylors turning out each week then you're going to go backwards. 

They've also never had a solid defensive base to fall back on. I'm not talking about an Allardyce sort of defensive base where you commit 90% of your resources to keeping a clean sheet and hope to nick one from a long throw, because you don't need to play like that to be defensively solid. I'm talking about basic competence in the defensive third. It's just absent and that's a recipe for disaster when your strikers inevitably lose form for parts of the season. I predicted the same problem with Norwich at the start of the season and been proved right. The only way they had a chance of staying up was Pukki banging in 30+ goals this season and even then, they concede so many chances every game that they'd probably still go down.

I used to have a soft spot for Bournemouth because they played good Football and I admired Howe's philosophy.

But it's at the stage now I find it irritating they spend what they do off the back of 11k crowds with nothing to show for it.

Pretty much encapsulates everything that is wrong with modern day football. They had their time in the sun but this league needs a bit of livening up.

Time to go (hopefully)

54 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I used to have a soft spot for Bournemouth because they played good Football and I admired Howe's philosophy.

But it's at the stage now I find it irritating they spend what they do off the back of 11k crowds with nothing to show for it.

Pretty much encapsulates everything that is wrong with modern day football. They had their time in the sun but this league needs a bit of livening up.

Time to go (hopefully)

Someone’s been on Leeds twitter/forums :ph34r:

15 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Think they can manage to get results there, they have a decent squad hardly a relegation one. Still the Premier League will kill you off if you don't perform, bigger sides have went down in the recent years.

It's been a kind of amusing seeing Premier League games getting played at a wee diddy stadium like the Vitality, but it's gotten a bit boring now.

Would much rather see Brentford, or Leeds, or even a good old West Brom in their place. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Going to be interesting now whether Howe sticks or twists with Bournemouth. For me, he is at that crossroads with them.

The only thing is a relegation never looks good on your CV and his reputation has gone from fair to middling to a little below that now after Bournemouth's regression.

There were some jobs he would have been touted about for a couple years ago but now I'm not so sure. Maybe a Palace or a Villa if anything happened to their managers but he may just be better staying with Bournemouth.

Ok, they will lose a few players (Ake, Wilson, King) but no doubt they will be in a position to bring some good players in for the Championship and add to some of the talent they will keep.

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, Lucas said:

There were some jobs he would have been touted about for a couple years ago but now I'm not so sure. Maybe a Palace or a Villa if anything happened to their managers but he may just be better staying with Bournemouth.

Genuinely England xD 

Archived