• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bournemouth

football forum

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Genuinely don’t see why he’d resign. Is he going to get a Premier League job any time soon? It seems a bit of a risk, to me. 

Yeah, I feel the same way tbh. You have to take the good with the bad with Eddie Howe - and there's a lot to commend, I respect his commitment to playing positive football as much as he can. But he's also been a part of Bournemouth's recruitment issues - and my club's taken full advantage of them quite frankly - they've spent a lot of money and they've not brought in players to kick them on at all. I think Solanke's got potential and playing in the championship will be good for him (and he's still young)... but they spent a lot of money for him and they could have brought someone in who could make an immediate contribution. And there's numerous signings like that.

And while I can respect the commitment to his football philosophies... there's something to be said about switching tactics and being a bit more pragmatic when things clearly aren't going right. Burnley don't go open as fuck against us or Citeh and try to give us a game because they don't want to get hammered. Bournemouth routinely go out and get hammered at big clubs by trying to be adventurous when they don't have the quality to.

He's got a good thing going at Bournemouth and he can probably get them promoted back up soon and try again to establish themselves playing the way they do. But I feel like he'd be a big risk if a bigger club decided to take a risk on him, he's made questionable signings and his commitment to their approach on football can reasonably be called naive in a lot of situations.

If he gets a chance at a decent Prem club then obviously he'd take it, or should do. I don't think he owes Bournemouth anything now

But let's be honest one of the reasons they went down was because he was in charge, their defensive record is appalling. I don't think he's that great a manager and I still can't believe people were touting him as the next Arsenal manager, I just think it helps his case that he's English and a. plays decent football and b. doesn't come across in the same way the likes of Pardew, Allardyce, Bruce etc do. Helps him stand out from those managers but I don't think he's that good. Bournemouth have had some clear defensive issues since they came up and he's done little to stop that

43 minutes ago, Danny said:

If he gets a chance at a decent Prem club then obviously he'd take it, or should do. I don't think he owes Bournemouth anything now

But let's be honest one of the reasons they went down was because he was in charge, their defensive record is appalling. I don't think he's that great a manager and I still can't believe people were touting him as the next Arsenal manager, I just think it helps his case that he's English and a. plays decent football and b. doesn't come across in the same way the likes of Pardew, Allardyce, Bruce etc do. Helps him stand out from those managers but I don't think he's that good. Bournemouth have had some clear defensive issues since they came up and he's done little to stop that

He is a great manager, I reckon. A team like Bournemouth doesn't start with negative seventeen points in League 2 and ends up playing in the top division for five straight years.Whether he can or can not manage a money-bags success driven team like Arsenal, Manchester United, or Liverpool remains to be seen but at least what he has done is hugely impressive. Even ol' Brian Clough got booted out of the best team in England in less than two months.

They've not been able to kick on from 44 points type finishes. Teams like that are destined for one bad year eventually sending them down. 

Recruitment is so important. Having money is no guarantee of progress. When you become so dependent on 1 or 2 big purchases if it doesn't come off you'll end up in trouble eventually.

Eddie Howe was in a weird position on Sunday. Had they stayed up I reckon Bournemouth would have been better off seeking a new manager as he looks like hes ran out of ideas. But in The Championship I cant think of a better candidate to start the rebuilding phase.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

He is a great manager, I reckon. A team like Bournemouth doesn't start with negative seventeen points in League 2 and ends up playing in the top division for five straight years.Whether he can or can not manage a money-bags success driven team like Arsenal, Manchester United, or Liverpool remains to be seen but at least what he has done is hugely impressive. Even ol' Brian Clough got booted out of the best team in England in less than two months.

Russian billionaires flouting Football League financial regulations were probably just as big an influence on Bournemouth as Howe, if not more so. 

2 hours ago, Spike said:

He’s done well at Bournemouth and is clearly good enough to get them up and have them fighting relegation for 5 years straight without going down but he’s been backed financially to do it...just not that great of a manager imo

• Subscriber

Alarm bells have to ring for me when you're frequently spending eight figures on players and you're still relying on players you had in League One.

10 minutes ago, Dan said:

Alarm bells have to ring for me when you're frequently spending eight figures on players and you're still relying on players you had in League One.

That is scouting not managing...

• Subscriber
Just now, Spike said:

That wasn't necessarily a dig at anybody. It is highlighting a flaw in Bournemouth's process.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

ah, I thought it was following the Howe discussion

Don't get me wrong if Howe is responsible then yes it's a dig at him as well - and I do get the impression that he's got quite a say in their transfers.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

He’s done well at Bournemouth and is clearly good enough to get them up and have them fighting relegation for 5 years straight without going down but he’s been backed financially to do it...just not that great of a manager imo

They didn’t fight relegation ever season, they even finished ninth. Bournemouth aren’t the only club that gets a little help financially, and they have also sold players for quite a bit. I think it is disingenuous to reduce Howe to a chequebook manager when other super successful managers have had similar spending patterns. A team still had to be coached to win, QPR never lasted for more than one season

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Dan said:

8 hours ago, Spike said:

I know @Dan's comment wasn't pointing at Howe but the manager is involved in the buying of players as well - at least as far as we all know that's the case/'model' at Bournemouth. So I'd say it's a bit of both - scouting but also the managing of the player in that team when they get there.

10 hours ago, Spike said:

They didn’t fight relegation ever season, they even finished ninth. Bournemouth aren’t the only club that gets a little help financially, and they have also sold players for quite a bit. I think it is disingenuous to reduce Howe to a chequebook manager when other super successful managers have had similar spending patterns. A team still had to be coached to win, QPR never lasted for more than one season

I didn’t reduce him to a chequebook manager mate, I said he he has money and he spends it considering the narrative is often little Eddie Howe and barely having a pot to piss in. They’ve also finished 16th and 14th, as well as getting relegated this season.

• Subscriber

Feel like he found his level at the same place Bournemouth did. I think he does well with motivating the players and getting them to trust in the way he wants them to play but he's never been able to sort out their defensive issues and they've never really managed to improve much since they first came up. I wouldn't have him at Everton, too much Martinez about him.

• Subscriber

I do think what's happened with Howe is a good example of why managers do move on though. I'm sure he could've probably landed a better job at some point but ultimately stuck and is back in the Championship.

For what it's worth I also think Dyche has now proven himself comfortably better than Howe.

13 minutes ago, Dan said:

I do think what's happened with Howe is a good example of why managers do move on though. I'm sure he could've probably landed a better job at some point but ultimately stuck and is back in the Championship.

For what it's worth I also think Dyche has now proven himself comfortably better than Howe.

Been saying this for ages, what Dyche does on Burnley’s budget is phenomenal 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Danny said:

Been saying this for ages, what Dyche does on Burnley’s budget is phenomenal 

Dyche has his limitations but he's a good manager. I like the fact he's built an identity at Burnley. I'm in the minority here but I like having them in the league.

Dyche is a far better manager than Howe, for me. As said up thread, Dyche may have a philosophy but isn’t overly stubborn and borderline reckless with it and will change it against certain clubs, whereas Howe almost seems stuck in his ways and plays the same way regardless of the opponent and that’s probably why in the last three seasons, Dyche’s Burnley have conceded 157 goals in the past three seasons and Howe’s Bournemouth have conceded 196. 

I can’t see why a Premier League team would be after Howe, if I’m honest. More so when Dyche is out there. 

@Smiley Culture, I think it was you that first brought this up...

but Bournemouth are considering a legal claim against HawkEye (the goal line tech company) for negligence and could some financial compensation for their relegation for that goal Villa were given against Sheffield United.

Archived