• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bournemouth

football forum

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Bournemouth do spend a lot of money on younger players, seems to be their entire plan which I think isn't a bad one, but I don't think many of them seem to turn out as hoped.

I'm praying they drop £20mil on Demarai Gray.

23 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Quietly hoping for them to buy Lallana for 25 mil this summer. Someone in their transfer department is definitely a Red. 

Liverpool have valued Harry Wilson at 25 mil. So I imagine Bournemouth are preparing a bid of 45 mil at the minute.

On 11/04/2019 at 21:19, RandoEFC said:

Solanke has 1 goal in 29 appearances and apparently has an England call up which I wasn't aware of which just goes to show how easy it is to get in the squad. Makes Calvert-Lewin look prolific.

My point wasn't even about Calvert-Lewin getting into the England squad but a natural comparison with a similar player to Solanke whose stock has risen considerably compared to Solanke by actually playing football in the last 18 months instead of sitting on a bench.

Nor does it affect my other point that spending €28m or whatever it was on Solanke is absolutely horrendous business from Howe and Bournemouths point of view.

Sometimes though things work out and it turns out to be a good buy ie Salah at Liverpool. Just because a player doesn't work out at one club doesn't mean another club shouldn't buy them if they think it might work out 

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

I wonder if the "they're at serious risk of a relegation fight this season" to "not a bad start by Bournemouth actually" to "why is it that Eddie Howe never gets considered for the Arsenal or Spurs jobs?" to "it's hard to believe Bournemouth haven't won in eleven games yet they're still 8 points clear of relegation" to "they're at serious risk of relegation next season if they start like they've ended this one" cycle will be broken this time around.

9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I wonder if the "they're at serious risk of a relegation fight this season" to "not a bad start by Bournemouth actually" to "why is it that Eddie Howe never gets considered for the Arsenal or Spurs jobs?" to "it's hard to believe Bournemouth haven't won in eleven games yet they're still 8 points clear of relegation" to "they're at serious risk of relegation next season if they start like they've ended this one" cycle will be broken this time around.

I hope it doesn't, as that sort of makes it a bit more predictable of what sort of match it'll be when you face them.

Early in the season? Probably a tough match.

Middle of the season? Might be tough, or they might just roll over for you.

End of the season? 3 points incoming.

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I hope it doesn't, as that sort of makes it a bit more predictable of what sort of match it'll be when you face them.

Early in the season? Probably a tough match.

Middle of the season? Might be tough, or they might just roll over for you.

End of the season? 3 points incoming.

They also seem to be one of those sides who aren't as shit as a few other teams in the league but routinely get shafted 3-0, 4-0 or 5-0 by any of the top six, especially when they're away. Along with Watford, they get praised for having a go or being ambitious or whatever which makes no sense because there's no point in doing that if you just end up getting bummed by Salah, Hazard or Aubameyang on the break.

Then when teams like Brighton or Newcastle adopt a more shithousey approach and still lose (by less) they get slated for it, while it is totally ignored that over the course of the season it usually actually gets them a win or two and a couple of draws against tougher opposition. 

One of those painfully predictable phenomena in the football media in this country.

Most of this post ended up having nothing to do with what you said.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

They also seem to be one of those sides who aren't as shit as a few other teams in the league but routinely get shafted 3-0, 4-0 or 5-0 by any of the top six, especially when they're away. Along with Watford, they get praised for having a go or being ambitious or whatever which makes no sense because there's no point in doing that if you just end up getting bummed by Salah, Hazard or Aubameyang on the break.

Then when teams like Brighton or Newcastle adopt a more shithousey approach and still lose (by less) they get slated for it, while it is totally ignored that over the course of the season it usually actually gets them a win or two and a couple of draws against tougher opposition. 

One of those painfully predictable phenomena in the football media in this country.

I mean I'm one of those people who like it when teams actually turn up to play, rather than those who sit back and shithouse their way to a point or three. Although, yeah there's something to be said about Howe continually going into the matches with big clubs and getting routinely turned over - that's not showing tactical flexibility or pragmatism for the best results for his club.

But I've seen small clubs actually turn up at Anfield and give us a go in an actual football match, not a shithousing match, while I've seen big clubs with expensive players play like they're relegation battlers that have 0 points to their name... so I think I'll always appreciate the plucky spirit of clubs that do give it a go when they can.

Also, I think your post did have something to do with what I said... and what you said. It's just not maybe the most clear - but maybe if Howe did actually focus on shithousery against the top 6... he'd still be able to take his positive attacking approach to most sides in the league and probably wouldn't have the morale depleting losses he does seem to have against the big sides. My assumption is getting routinely turned over the second you face anyone that's very good may have a negative effect on the mentality of Bournemouth's players, which leads to a drop in form. And if they don't drop in form as often as they seem to come the second half of the season, and can actually take some points off the top 6... they'd probably be finishing their season in a much stronger spot.

Having said that... now that we're looking like we're a consistent CL contending side... I hope they continue to be naïve as fuck and let us smash them whenever possible. Because we need those points from them.

29 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I think there's method to their madness, to be fair. It's so unlikely they'll get much off the top 6, shithousing or not, that they could well be better off in the long treating those games as a free hit rather than compromising their style for 12 games. Maintaining consistency in style gives them a better chance against the teams around them and they'll probably pick up more points overall.

That's the theory anyway. Unfortunately it rather falls apart when you look at the reality that Bournemouth get worse over the course of a season instead of better xD but I think you'll see more of that sort of thing now the tiebreaking procedure has changed. Newcastle's shithousey narrow defeat is now worth precisely zero more than Bournemouth's valiant bumming.

For the record, Bournemouth got 6 points (and a few pumpings) off the top 6 last season, which I think is about as much as they could've hoped for

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Burning Gold said:

For the record, Bournemouth got 6 points (and a few pumpings) off the top 6 last season, which I think is about as much as they could've hoped for

Yeah, 6 points sounds alright but I do remember 3 of those points coming from their win over Spurs when they had about 7 players sent off or something xD.

• Subscriber
On 17/07/2019 at 22:51, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean I'm one of those people who like it when teams actually turn up to play, rather than those who sit back and shithouse their way to a point or three. Although, yeah there's something to be said about Howe continually going into the matches with big clubs and getting routinely turned over - that's not showing tactical flexibility or pragmatism for the best results for his club.

But I've seen small clubs actually turn up at Anfield and give us a go in an actual football match, not a shithousing match, while I've seen big clubs with expensive players play like they're relegation battlers that have 0 points to their name... so I think I'll always appreciate the plucky spirit of clubs that do give it a go when they can.

Also, I think your post did have something to do with what I said... and what you said. It's just not maybe the most clear - but maybe if Howe did actually focus on shithousery against the top 6... he'd still be able to take his positive attacking approach to most sides in the league and probably wouldn't have the morale depleting losses he does seem to have against the big sides. My assumption is getting routinely turned over the second you face anyone that's very good may have a negative effect on the mentality of Bournemouth's players, which leads to a drop in form. And if they don't drop in form as often as they seem to come the second half of the season, and can actually take some points off the top 6... they'd probably be finishing their season in a much stronger spot.

Having said that... now that we're looking like we're a consistent CL contending side... I hope they continue to be naïve as fuck and let us smash them whenever possible. Because we need those points from them.

Do you like it because you're more likely to win?

20 minutes ago, Dan said:

Do you like it because you're more likely to win?

Last paragraph mate, but yeah xD

well and I respect it more than when a big side just comes and shithouses their way to a point or more, so when a smaller side has a positive approach and gets results from it, they should be commended

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Heard it’s likely to happen, provided Bournemouth give assurances about giving him regular football. Which would be a big risk to them if he’s not cutting it in the top flight or if he has a bad run of form, but it’d be good for us and his development

• 5 months later...

All gone to shit for Bournemouth, yes they've had injuries but 4 points from their last 10 games is pretty horrific

Feel like Howe has hit a wall with this side and would probably be better off moving on elsewhere

Don’t see the point in sacking him, next person in is still stuck with the same players that are injured and there’s about two and a half weeks left of the window, of which Bournemouth have three games, so you’re looking at roughly two weeks to sack a manager, find a replacement and then give that man enough time to bring in reinforcements. 

17 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Don’t see the point in sacking him, next person in is still stuck with the same players that are injured and there’s about two and a half weeks left of the window, of which Bournemouth have three games, so you’re looking at roughly two weeks to sack a manager, find a replacement and then give that man enough time to bring in reinforcements. 

Maybe but their record has been abysmal and they never had a great defensive record, a manager better at organising a defence may do them some good

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Fair point but if they stick with Howe, where is he going to take them? 

Their PL finishes so far:
2018/19 - 14th
2017/18 - 12th
2016/17 - 9th
2015/16 - 16th

The first season was brilliant considering the size of the club and surviving was a great achievement.

They're established in the Premier League but haven't 'improved' in 3 seasons and look set to be circling the drain right now. Has he taken them as far as he can?

Maybe a new manager might not get time to make changes he wants but if they are willing to give a new manager time, it might work out to be a good move? If Bournemouth do survive (and I don't think they will), what happens next season? The same inconsistency and they find themselves battling relegation again? They could turn in to a Stoke (up to 2018 when they finally dropped) or a Villa (up to 2016 when they finally dropped). Hover around mid-table, then eventually drop.

Archived