talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Biggest Relegations In Your Lifetime

football forum

Do you all remember when River Plate went down? How it caused mayhem on the Argentina streets due to the sadness that plagued the country? That is still the biggest relegation in my lifetime. I am one of the youngest members on this forum though, so maybe you all have other picks. I could say Juventus but that was corruption more than football. However, relegation is relegation in the end.

Other big teams include Independiente and Palmeiras. Discuss.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole River Plate thing that happened in Argentina we might actually be seeing here in Peru soon, as the biggest club in the country is on the fence at the moment. They play the second worst football in the league and are 3 points clear in the relegation zone. I'm of course talking about Universitario de Deportes.

Won't be a wise move to leave the house once that happens. It will be the biggest local relegation in South America since River itself.

c6b56393f5af91a0a2bd1539d8a81789.png

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I remember the River Plate relegation made world news. The riots that occurred afterwards led by @Berserker

For me that one coupled with Atlético Madrid being relegated in the 90s after they won La Liga under Radomir Antić are the biggest ones I've witnessed.

I can’t think of a relegation that has caused a riot.

Grimsby Town fans threw a couple of advertising hoardings around after relegation from the Football League and Orient fans caused the halt of their last home game of their stint in the Football League but that’s about it. 

I suppose Blackpool fans protesting and causing the abandonment of their last Championship game was pretty big. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

I'm pretty sure Leicester will get relegated in my lifetime :coffee:

unless you're under the age of 10 or 14, you would have already seen it. 

Thinking Premier League wise, Newcastle’s first and Leeds’ relegations have probably been the biggest teams relegated from the Premier League but they were as a direct result of mismanagement off the field and based on what happened on the pitch alone, probably West Ham’s first relegation was probably the biggest. They had a squad with the likes of Michael Carrick, Freddy Kanoute, Jermain Defoe etc in it. There’s no way they should have got relegated. 

5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Thinking Premier League wise, Newcastle’s first and Leeds’ relegations have probably been the biggest teams relegated from the Premier League but they were as a direct result of mismanagement off the field and based on what happened on the pitch alone, probably West Ham’s first relegation was probably the biggest. They had a squad with the likes of Michael Carrick, Freddy Kanoute, Jermain Defoe etc in it. There’s no way they should have got relegated. 

Yeah, that West Ham United side getting relegated was weird to say the least.  But these things have happened before both in England and abroad.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Newcastle sprung to mind for me, I kind of wanted it as it was an interesting game for us in the Championship xD

While us going down to the 3rd tier wasn't major news it was the first time we'd dropped to that level in our entire history, so I'd say that was quite a big one really.

Wolves and Sunderland both having consecutive relegations from the Premier League to League One has to be up there as well. Sunderland's actually wasn't THAT surprising in my eyes but Wolves' was a disgrace. No idea how they managed to go down again.

On 03/10/2018 at 16:25, Rucksackfranzose said:

Nürnberg 1969 has to be up there. To be relegated as reigning champions is and always will be extraordinary.

Man city actually  got relegated the season after winning the title in the 30s

On 03/10/2018 at 13:26, Blue said:

Do you all remember when River Plate went down? How it caused mayhem on the Argentina streets due to the sadness that plagued the country? That is still the biggest relegation in my lifetime. I am one of the youngest members on this forum though, so maybe you all have other picks. I could say Juventus but that was corruption more than football. However, relegation is relegation in the end.

Other big teams include Independiente and Palmeiras. Discuss.

Never knew river plate were relegated 

Archived