talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

Southampton 0-3 Chelsea - Sunday 7th October

football forum

Saved the best for this game, Southampton in poor form. However we are a magnet for teams that desperately need points. Happened with West Ham and could happen with Southampton if we give them space. If they park the bus we have a draw written on this. It would be ideal to score early and then control from that point.

Same story like West Ham. Opposition wants to sit back and all three of our attackers like the ball to come to their feet. Will inevitably be difficult to break down with no one making runs. It looks like we were trying to force Southampton to venture furthur at one point. 

Our press won us the goal. One of the many great things Sarri has introduced. 

Edited by Cicero

Was happy to see Barkley trusted for this one and very happy to see him get an assist which will hopefully improve his confidence. As usual though he’s looked a bit poor on the ball at times, looks too measured and calculated, hopefully the confidence of the assist will do him well.

Love the man but Azpi escapes a lot of criticism, not really suited that well to a more expansive style. No wonder he hasn’t played more for Spain over the years. Imagine if it was Moses or Alonso doing some of the stuff he has done this season.

Anyway, we have to kill this one off.

Edited by carefreeluke
  • Upvote 1

Sky Sports outdoing themselves today with Ross Barkley. One tackle and a 10 yard pass to the best player in the league and suddenly "the penny has dropped". First assist in 18 months and he's not even been starting the last few games but don't let facts get in the way of your chosen narrative for the afternoon lads.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Sky Sports outdoing themselves today with Ross Barkley. One tackle and a 10 yard pass to the best player in the league and suddenly "the penny has dropped". First assist in 18 months and he's not even been starting the last few games but don't let facts get in the way of your chosen narrative for the afternoon lads.

Goal barkley!!!! 

Well done Chelsea. Simple but effective free-kick routine. Willian chips it over to Giroud. He acrobatically goes for a shot but it ends up at Barkley's feet virtually on the line so he can't miss. 2-0. Good game so far from Barkley. 

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

we know what Sky Sports are like but let's not act like he's not had a good game today. Solid performance on top of the tackle/pass that led to Hazard's goal.

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

we know what Sky Sports are like but let's not act like he's not had a good game today. Solid performance on top of the tackle/pass that led to Hazard's goal.

I'm not pretending anything. The only people pretending anything are the ones on the television acting as if his first goal and first assist in what must be at least 20 appearances for Chelsea against one of the shittest teams in the league is some sort of proof that he's come on leaps and bounds since leaving Everton. Let's see if he can keep it up for more than 2-3 games then we'll talk.

I know Southampton aren't expected to win or even get points against sides like Chelsea, but when you miss chances like they have today, it really does beg the question if they'll do enough to stay up. You can't keep on missing chances like that.

I heard a stat that Chelsea and Leicester have won more matches at Southampton's home ground than Southampton have themselves since last December xD 

• The title was changed to Southampton 0-3 Chelsea - Sunday 7th October
3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

7/10 today for him, nothing special. What I will say though is that it's probably good for him to have a big say in the result today and get some positive headlines (even if on the surface the level of his performance has been maybe overrated by some). He did a press conference earlier this week where you sort of got the impression that he has enjoyed having more purpose and clarity to his role in this Chelsea team by Sarri. Also worth nothing that he's getting a lot of playing time this season which many (me included) thought he wasn't going to get enough of at Chelsea but at this point we also didn't know that Sarri was going to come in and there'd be more central midfield spots available. 

It's good to see Barkley having a big say in the goals but I also thought some of his problems on the ball were evident again as well. I would like to see him play with more personality and confidence on the ball but hopefully the goal and assist will help his self-belief in this area. Why you can perhaps take more from Barkley's performance today is because of the positive effect that it should have on his mentality and confidence.

What was a bit worrying from us today is the chances we let Southampton have and we also allowed Vidi too many opportunities for my liking as well on Thursday. Something to work on.

Jorginho was fucking immense today by the way.

• Upvote 1

Whilst Southampton will be during not taking their chances, you have to applaud Chelsea in the second half there.

They've adapted to two at the back possession football so quickly it's rather surprising. It's all telling in a way of the quality between this Chelsea and the United side inherited by Van Gaal that they can revert formations and systems so quickly. A special mention to Jorginho, i think his introdution playing deep making constant passes everywhere has gone a long way in making that transition effortless. You can see why Pep was a massive fan. 

As for Eden Hazard, what a man he is. If only he had this consistency every season. Unfortunately for Chelsea, I don't know how much longer they can fend off Real. Ronaldo's shoes need filling with a class marquee player.

• The topic was unpinned