The better place to talk football.

Southampton 0-3 Chelsea - Sunday 7th October

football forum

• The title was changed to Southampton 0-3 Chelsea - Sunday 7th October
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Sky Sports outdoing themselves today with Ross Barkley. One tackle and a 10 yard pass to the best player in the league and suddenly "the penny has dropped". First assist in 18 months and he's not even been starting the last few games but don't let facts get in the way of your chosen narrative for the afternoon lads.

7/10 today for him, nothing special. What I will say though is that it's probably good for him to have a big say in the result today and get some positive headlines (even if on the surface the level of his performance has been maybe overrated by some). He did a press conference earlier this week where you sort of got the impression that he has enjoyed having more purpose and clarity to his role in this Chelsea team by Sarri. Also worth nothing that he's getting a lot of playing time this season which many (me included) thought he wasn't going to get enough of at Chelsea but at this point we also didn't know that Sarri was going to come in and there'd be more central midfield spots available. 

It's good to see Barkley having a big say in the goals but I also thought some of his problems on the ball were evident again as well. I would like to see him play with more personality and confidence on the ball but hopefully the goal and assist will help his self-belief in this area. Why you can perhaps take more from Barkley's performance today is because of the positive effect that it should have on his mentality and confidence.

What was a bit worrying from us today is the chances we let Southampton have and we also allowed Vidi too many opportunities for my liking as well on Thursday. Something to work on.

Jorginho was fucking immense today by the way.

Whilst Southampton will be during not taking their chances, you have to applaud Chelsea in the second half there.

They've adapted to two at the back possession football so quickly it's rather surprising. It's all telling in a way of the quality between this Chelsea and the United side inherited by Van Gaal that they can revert formations and systems so quickly. A special mention to Jorginho, i think his introdution playing deep making constant passes everywhere has gone a long way in making that transition effortless. You can see why Pep was a massive fan. 

As for Eden Hazard, what a man he is. If only he had this consistency every season. Unfortunately for Chelsea, I don't know how much longer they can fend off Real. Ronaldo's shoes need filling with a class marquee player.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived